1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.
  3. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice

Featured Chris Naish

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Vines, Apr 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vines

Vines Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    When I was a kid, Chris Naish was my favourite player. Actually, he became my favourite player when Trent "Tassie" Nicholls left Richmond (I cried the day I read that in The Advocate).

I had a footy card of Naish, with a white border, and he was at the end of his beautiful kicking motion. The specifics have faded with time but I like to remember it with Naish wearing the magnificent yellow and black jumper, flapping about ever so loosely as was the style in the 90's. He sported some grass clippings and mud on the knees, not necessarily indicative of his style of play to my memory, but it may well have been given the TV coverage was not like the saturation we get in 2016.

The I loved most about that card though, was that I was exactly the same height as Naish, 173cm. I wanted to be 173cm forever, although now, I'm comfortable that I'm not and I grew thirteen more centimetres.

Naish kicked goals during a period when Richmond didn't kick too many. Then, when the other cubs began to mature along with him (he still had a baby face though) he kicked more goals including my favourite ever Tiger major.

On the 16th September, a month I'd never watched my team play a meaningful game of footy previously, Richmond took on Essendon in a win or go home semi-final at the MCG. Over 80000 fans packed the stadium and saw Essendon take a five goal lead into half time. i was watching it alone in my bedroom. I was shattered.

During the third quarter the Tigers made their game winning comeback, including Naish's goal.
    Naish would kick 2.3 and be ranked as the second best Tiger by fantasy points on the day, but the measure of the man was in the moment.

After a couple of unanswered goals, the moment had arrived that would see either Essendon steady, or Richmond storm back into the contest. As Naish accepted the footy at about 45m out and steadied, the game was on HIS boot. I'll let Bruce Macavaney take over...

"Naish...he surely will kick the goal......HE HAS! THEY'RE BACK!!!"

Just typing it, still makes my spine tingle, and it is still my favourite tiger goal from who was my favourite tiger player. I'm excited to hear there may be another Naish coming through the ranks that may also one day pull on the fabled yellow and black jumper at the MCG.

2. Broadsword

Broadsword Revered

Boy if he and Daffy didn't get a rocket at half time that day! I connect with that day through video only, having no recollection of it and having not been there, but it makes my spine tingle too, Vinesy. :)

They're back in business!

Rotations are topical at the moment, but not as common back then. Still, I wonder if it was Scotty Turner who turned the tide with 2 goals and about 6 fatalities that day! :D

Tora Otaku and Vines like this.
  3. Crusher

Crusher Seriously Well Liked Site Immortal

[​IMG]
    Regina card from 1992

4. Vosstiger

Vosstiger Revered Leadership Group Newshound Coterie Member

You see Naishy a lot in our rooms in the Inner Sanctum. He and Nathan Bower are great mates. Nathan is quite excited about Naishy's boy as he has bred all girls. Chris still has a boyish grin and is very active with the past players and bleeds yellow and black. @Vines I am sure that without unforseen circumstances you will see a new taller version of a Naish in our colors.

I too look forward to the day.

5. Vines

Featured Threads:
    That's the one @Crusher

I think I can see a grass clipping....

6. Vines

Featured Threads:
    I think Robbo mentioned the Daffy/Naish rocket in the commentary....spot on!!!
    Knights, as we all know and love, kept us in the game in the first half.
    Matty Rogers was bloody handy but I could never work out how he stayed so calm after kicking the sealer on Bomber Thompson?!?!
    Our current CEO was deplorable that day interestingly.

Broadsword and Vosstiger like this.
  7. ROYCY HART A TRUE CHF

ROYCY HART A TRUE CHF Very Very Well Liked

Luv the commentary that day .......McAvaney was on fire !!!
    My other personal favourites from that day.
    If they could just get something out of Brendan Gale.
    Won't Brendan Gale appreciate the opportunity to have another crack @ the game next week.....
    It was one of them gut bustin games.....(Matty Knights in the post game interview)

I agree, Scotty Turner was the catalyst for victory.

Broadsword, iTiger59 and Vines like this.
  8. Tora Otaku

Tora Otaku Very Very Well Liked

Man Naish was a great player! My dad loved him. I remember one time sitting at a game and some 'supporter' was berating him saying he was the worst on our team and couldn't understand why he was picked. My dad didn't often rise to such things but he definitely did that day.

9. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Thanks for the feature @Ned

New YnB honour.

10. MPProject

MPProject Very Very Well Liked

I was a Naish fan too. I think we even share a birthday (September 30). I moved off to the UK after season 1997 for several years (still haven't learnt my lesson) and to this day can't undersatand how Naish didn't become a 200 game player.

11. Vosstiger

Injuries got him that was all. He had ability.

12. Readie9

Readie9 Seriously Well Liked Foundation Member

What about this one from Robbo in same game...........

"The effervescent Justin Charles".

Moist!!!

13. colossus

colossus Revered

His son Patrick,is 180 cm a bit outside at the moment,but look's a tiger in the future

14. black

black Loved Site Immortal

Jamie Tape (RIP) was BOG that day and I'm happy about that. It means more to me now than at the time.
    The crunch tackle when there was no tiger between Tape and the Essendon goals as an Essendon player ( Grenvold maybe ? ) charged inside 50 , was a vital play at a vital stage.

He had to make that tackle and he did.

Knighter and Naishy were best mates.

And he also delivered the worst piece of commentary in history as he totally crapped on about something while Knighter was producing one of the great tiger finals highlights ever , taking 5 bounces as he cut a swathe through and around opponents while smoothing all the way down the ground and goaling from 30 out on a decent angle.

Robbo missed the whole ****ing lot !

Bruce was perplexed and said " you just layed back on that one Robbo ?? " Ha !

It's Lambert's boys I'm most interested in so keep us updated if you get any more info Col.

Vosstiger likes this.
  15. Vosstiger

It's great that we might get a couple of decent father and sons as it has been a while.

16. Vines

Featured Threads:
    @black you must've been getting another commentary feed to what I got...
    "Every time Richmond look like they need something like a lifter it's Knights. Can he kick his 4th, his 3rd goal? He gets well inside 50. This will bring the house down if you don't mind umpire. It's a goal to Matthew Knights!"

17. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Wanna see some old school hard tough and fast Tiger footy??? What happened to Stu Edwards? Did he suffer from the Richo-centric forward line we had?

18. black

black Loved Site Immortal

You're right in that Roberston wasn't talking about other stuff as I stated in my post. What you posted above sounds about right. He was kinda commentating it.

I couldn't quite recall it but I just remembered that he completely missed the moment. It wasn't till Knights had his fifth bounce that Robertson started to realise what was happening.

Do you agree that Bruce immediately queried Robinson's lack of excitement with his commentary on that goal ?

"You just sat back on that one Robbo ??"

19. Vines

Featured Threads:
    @black my vhs copy has long since died. But the YouTube clip of that goal was awesome. Doesn't get to bwuce luckily.