1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging in?

With the recent changes to the website protocol from http to https, you may experience difficulty logging into the site.

To remedy this, simply clear your browser cache. If you are unsure how do this, please follow these instructions.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Yellow Sash Award

The Votes are in for Round 15!

The Leaderboard after Round 15 shows Dusty pulling away from the competition with Rance opening up a small break now 3 points ahead of Cotch..

26 points

13 points

10 points
    1st2nd3rd

4. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.

Ben Lennon

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Readie9, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Readie9

Readie9 Seriously Well Liked Foundation Member

Firstly, Happy New year to all Y&Bers, obviously for diehards like us, the whole year centres around the success (or lack of) of our Tigers. Lets raise our collective glasses of various substances and toast the new year (and upcoming season).

Now, to the purpose of the thread.

I am an undoubted fan of Ben Lennon and have cringed on way too many occasions of late, when its appeared that he will be lost to us. It was a glaring error by the match commitee to leave him out of the 2015 elim final team, and from that moment, I feared for his future in Y&B. I have latched onto every news story about him over the last 12 months, and I concede that very little has been of a positive note. When he requested a trade after 2016, I thought it was done and dusted. But, being a contracted player, with no suitors, he could not be delisted. As a fan who dearly wanted him to succeed, and one who thinks he could be a gem, this gave me hope. My optimism rose another notch with the Herald Sun article below. Yes, I hear you all crowing about the early media releases on Chris Yarran's post season progress too. Thankfully, BL has none of those issues and his appear to be attitude and application which can be fixed by the new coaching panel. Imagine the impact he will have if he can become the player befitting of a 1st round draft pick. Here's hoping.......

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/76c51b374b5b19df8f0926cb32015452

Tora Otaku, Vosstiger, Black and 3 others like this.
  2. Ms Tantie

Ms Tantie Loved

Featured Threads:
    Paywall...
    Ms Tantie.
    xox

Tora Otaku and Lazza like this.
  3. Forbesy

Forbesy Revered Assistant Coach

Featured Threads:
    Ben Lennon wants to establish himself as a Richmond player after requesting a trade
    Michael Warner
    Herald Sun

BEN Lennon requested a trade out of Richmond at the end of the season, but the phone never rang.

For a first-round draft pick once rated higher than his TAC Cup teammate Marcus Bontempelli, it was a sobering experience.

“It was a weird time,” Lennon, 21, reflected this week.

“I was away with (teammate) Kamdyn McIntosh in America and I was always thinking about it — where am I going to be?

“My manager (Anthony McConville) rang me up and said: ‘Look mate, it’s not looking likely that you’ll be able to go’.

“I sort of thought, I better get my head around this. It might be a little bit awkward.”

Injuries and a bout of glandular fever haven’t helped, but Lennon is the first to admit his AFL journey so far hasn’t been what he expected.

“I didn’t think that it would pan out the way it has,” he says.

“But all good sportsmen go through hard things ... so I’ve got to look at it like that and work as hard as I can to hopefully become the player that I think I can be.”

Lennon’s talent has never been questioned, but rival recruiters did query his work ethic.

He’s managed just 19 senior games across three seasons on the Tigers’ list.

Some hard truths were delivered when Lennon met coach Damien Hardwick for his end-of-season exit interview.

“We sat down and he just sort of said that he thought it might be a good idea if I look elsewhere, like he thinks I’ll be a player but, you know, if you think it’s in your best interests to look around, then try and do that,” Lennon said.

It sort of just clicked that if I don’t do something about my career, it’s going to be gone.

“I knew that it might be a good option to look elsewhere, but ... hearing it from the head coach that you might not be in the plan is initially a bit hard to take.

“I remember just asking him where did I best suit the team? It’s not that he couldn’t give me an answer, it’s just that I felt like I might be able to get a better opportunity at a different club.”

It wasn’t the first time Hardwick had delivered tough news.

After stringing together eight consecutive games, including a three-goal return against St Kilda, Lennon was dropped unexpectedly for the 2014 elimination final against North Melbourne.

“I guess it does look like a part of the pattern — I’ve had a few ups and downs since I’ve been here,” he says.

Was that the lowest moment of his career?

“I think so — I played eight or nine games in a row and it would have been the biggest game I would have played in.

“Thinking you are going to be playing and all of a sudden you are in the stands — it was a pretty hard time.”

But with just one season left on his contract, Lennon gives the impression the penny has dropped.

He hired a private sprint coach after the trade period fiasco and returned to the club in the best shape of his life.

“Over the break, especially when I didn’t get a trade, it sort of just clicked that if I don’t do something about my career, it’s going to be gone,” he says.

“This is as good as I’ve felt in the four years that I’ve been the club ... and my mindset has helped as well.”

The only thing I can do now is work as hard as I can and play the footy that the club probably expects.

He’s struck up a bond with returned assistant coach Justin Leppitsch.

“I tend to think about things a lot and he’s just told me to just play the game and play on instincts,” he says of the former Brisbane coach.

“He reckons I’ve got the talent and that if I can work hard on my deficiencies and let my strengths do the talking, I’ll be right.

“It gives me good confidence that someone up above — along with Dimma — is hopefully going to back me in.”

Does he have doubts?

“I don’t think it’s doubts, it’s more frustration in that I haven’t been able to show what I can do.

“But at times I do sort of think, ‘Oh s---, I should be starting to put some games together’.

“The coach got into contact with me (after the trade period) and just said he will do everything he can to make me a player and gave me confidence that I’m still a required player.

“The only thing I can do now is work as hard as I can and play the footy that the club probably expects.”

The sudden departure of Chris Yarran was another eye-opener.

“It definitely puts life into perspective,” Lennon says.

“It’s never easy seeing someone give away the game, especially someone like Chris, who is so talented and plays such good footy when he’s up and about.

“It was tough and I guess we don’t know the extent of everything he was going through.

“He was a pretty private person — it was hard because you didn’t know whether to put your arm around him or just let him work it out himself.

“That’s one of the things we have identified that we need to get better at — telling people when you are struggling — because everyone can relate to it at a footy club.”

Lennon has been training as a high half-forward, pinch-hitting in the midfield, and says the arrival of new players like Josh Caddy and Dion Prestia has changed the dynamic.

“Without any disrespect to people who were here last year, it just feels like the vibe around the club is really good,” he says.

“We’ve got a young list and that just gives you excitement.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/76c51b374b5b19df8f0926cb32015452

Tora Otaku, 17Sash and Ms Tantie like this.
  4. Mr Babilla

Mr Babilla Revered

Featured Threads:
    I'm with you Readie. This kid could be fantastic if he works hard, has some luck, and is given the opportunity.

Let's see.

iTiger59 likes this.
  5. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    There is the key to it all for Lennon

6. Crusher

Crusher Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Glandular fever...... have to be careful it doesn't lead to chronic fatigue.

7. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I like hearing blokes investing their own gorillas into getting extra training in the off season...

8. BigTigerCasey

BigTigerCasey Revered

Featured Threads:
    Snake...

I too, am an unashamed fan of the Lower Leg Tatt Man. His biggest issue has seemed to be one one of "privilege" given the high draft pick. I hope his new found attitude reflects the change from "my right" to "my privilege".

I really want to see him succeed, ideally in Y&B!

iTiger59, Tora Otaku and Vosstiger like this.
  9. Black

Black Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I agree with you Readie.

Problem I see is that until Dimmer gets sacked mid season 2017 then Lennon will be playing in the magoos.

Clearly not one of 'Dimmer's Favorites'

believe!, Lazza and TigerHardwick like this.
  10. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Whatever happens with the side this year I would prefer a new head coach. There are just too many questions on Hardwick.

However Lennon needs to work hard and play well in the seconds as per any player wanting a top side position. Hardwick is only one member of the selection committee so even though he has favourites Lennon needs to make sure he is a viable alternative.

He has plenty of new faces in the coaching ranks to go and get advice off. Leppitsch being his line coach is a start.

Black and thebigricho like this.
  11. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    So Ben suffered the same fate as Lids. The great coach sat him down and suggested he may be better off elsewhere, and that Richmond would facilitate any move he wanted to make. He too was in contract. Except no one wanted him. For he is slow and always goes back to take his kick, and makes dubious choices on field. But the big plus for Ben, is Hardwick wanted him gone, so he is probably going to become a star.
    By Lennon's comments it would appear that Lids and Vickery were destabllising the club.
    Well, if it has some truth it would be more likely that they had the clubs interests at heart and were destabilising the coach and some of the less talented decision makers.
    On reflection I think that there must be a super coach who has agreed to take over the reins at the end of 2017, so the logical thing would be to keep DH, and battle through till we can get our new saviour.
    And I don't think we have a bad team, we have some very good players and some good youngsters, it just that, there are at least fifteen teams that are better, and 17 teams with a more talented coach.
    No I'm not negative, just very sad.

12. ceehook

ceehook Seriously Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    I think I get what a forward line coach would do , and a clearance coach , a ruck coach ....

not sure what you're after Gracie :-O ..... Happy New Year

13. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    Not sure if this is good for Lennon or not .... Hardwick over rates players ...

I took this as referring to the sacked coaches, rather than the players...

Frankly, I don't think Lennon can make the grade ... the problem can't be fixed by coaches, psychologists or mentors.. Its in his DNA, he can only will himself to overcome the barrier ... he lacks kahunas.

terry31 likes this.