1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herald Sun Is Tiger style ‘a problem’ for AFL?

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Ned, Oct 3, 2017.

1. believe!

believe! Revered

Featured Threads:
    Equal 2nd- brother brad "the scowl" scott keepin that twin rivalry alive:p

Broadsword likes this.
  2. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I've watched the Chris Scott thing and he was SALTY. I've never heard a coach throw a question to journos leading them into a negative response about a premiership team. Robbo didn't bite though.

Is it a problem for the AFL that a team was able to run and tackle and pressure and hurt the opposition on the rebound and win a famous flag?
    No but it's a problem for coaches of teams who couldn't work it out.

3. tommy_g

tommy_g Very Very Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    When teams chipped it around and maintained possession is was a problem?.
    Flooding was a problem.
    Low scoring was the problem.
    Locking it in your forward line is now the problem.

Whats next? Teams scoring too much? "It used to be so hard to score 100 points in a game!" they will cry

4. Mr Babilla

Mr Babilla Revered

Featured Threads:
    I was going to ask who wrote this poop. Thanks Boner, for giving me the heads up.

Right. Where do I start?

Mmmm...

WHAT A ****ING COCKHEAD!

That's all I got. No more required, I submit.

Graeme Bowman and iTiger59 like this.
  5. bagwarn

bagwarn Seriously Well Liked

I hear ya GB, but you'd love him in your side going into a big game though wouldn't you? Sailed a bit close to the breeze for sure....

thebigricho likes this.
  6. bagwarn

7. bagwarn

It seems Richmond winning a premiership is the problem. Theystill don't rate us or giveus the kudos we deserve forthe most dominant collective finals performance in 15 years. Should be our catch cry next year - "they still don't rate us". Nice motivation....

Broadsword likes this.
  8. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    The only real way to open the game up is to reduce the team size to 16 players and have limited interchanges

Broadsword likes this.
  9. PROjECT

PROjECT Very Very Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    I vote this the BEST comment ever on this site Vines. I saw the interview with Chris Scott just today. Two weeks after the great triumph. He was a sooky little ****. I saw some telepathy between Gerard Whateley and Mark Robinson. They were saying "What a damp sqib this prick is . . . who asked him on for tonights program?". This is the icing on the cake for me. Chris Scott needs to act more like an AFL coach and not one of those clowns at the Melbourne Show that you put ping-pong balls into their mouth whenever he disagrees with an umpires decision that goes against Geelong.

iTiger59 and Vines like this.
  10. PROjECT

Featured Threads:
    . . . but them mention that we had silverware added to our cabinet.

11. Readie9

Readie9 Seriously Well Liked Foundation Member

We won our last 5 games by an average of 56 points. We averaged 116 pts & conceded an average of 60 in those 5.

Gee, better pull back next year guys, its just not fair on the rest of the competition!!!!!

bagwarn, iTiger59 and Broadsword like this.
  12. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    Well, I've scratched my head a lot over this year. I have watched the replays and I still don't understand why I feel we over achieved when we finished 3rd on the ladder only 1/2 a game and percentage behind top spot, so why my bewilderment. I tell myself I have worked it out, but maybe I haven't.
    Some one was the brilliant tactician, and I mean brilliant, it seems to me it was Caracella, no inside info, just the turn around and the complete difference in game plan, something happened on the inside.
    I reckon, we had the core, our champs, the best in the comp, and then we had some average and below average players. So how do you win a flag with a mostly average list.
    Well that's the secret here I think. Some of the average players were actually way above average and some of them played well above average this year. But somehow, we utilised our man power to its max.
    Guys like Rioli, Butler, Castagna and Broad, they were doing a job that made their opponents ineffective, that stopped the other teams game plan from being effective. And then Dusty Jack Graham, what a find.
    Only so many players can handle the football 30+ in a team in a game and somewhere, some one in our brains trust worked out who should have the ball, who should make pathways for the carrier and who should close down their opponents. And that's what happened, and in every instance in the finals the other side folded under pressure.
    It was uncanny it was brilliant and we don't have to worry about draft picks or trades, cause with this game plan, we don't need a team full of stars.
    That's my take on it, at the moment anyway.

13. amigo

amigo Revered

Featured Threads:
    Caracella has no doubt added a lot to the success Richmond enjoyed, but I think our senior coach deserves much of credit for the game plan, as does fate.

I've seen Hardwick say that after he took stock of last year, upon much self reflection, he assessed himself to be the major problem with the team.

He subsequently decided to do everything the opposite to what he had been doing it.
    Examples are he previously held a tight reign on the team, each player had to do what he was told, which was fitting in with Hardwick's much lauded game plan. Upon seeing Beveridge explain his success, Hardwick
    decided to let go of the reign, to assess each players strengths and weakness's, and to formulate a game plan utilizing their strengths..

Another example is he used to believe attack was the best form of defence. Scrapped that idea and the new mantra was defence is the best form of defence.
    So instead of an attacking forward line, we'll have a defensive forward line. Fate intervened when Griffiths went down and Elton proved he wasn't suited to a key forward position. We had to go small up forward.

Fate also intervened later in the season when Townsend came into the team. He was the last piece of the puzzle to our unbeatable finals team.

Obviously you can add Balme, the Board, the VFL coach and others into the mix too.

As Paul Roos said in an article a few years ago, it might have been after the worst 39 seconds of football in history, when he wrote an article on what it would take to turn Richmond around into a premiership side, he stated
    that it takes a whole club to win a premiership. He said it's hard to quantify, but when you get the right mix of talent in all positions(including on field obviously) magic happens.

And that is what happened at Punt Road in 2017.

14. PROjECT

Featured Threads:
    Can someone forward this to sookie little Chris Scott.

http://media.giphy.com/media/5AwCyymIBXcPR7ZtAQg/giphy.gif

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    ceehook likes this.
  15. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    If you look at most premiership winning teams there is this transition from good to great and it comes down to belief. When the players get the individual trust in their own abilities to execute the game plan and then the side gets the collective trust in each other that is when the good things happen.

Geelong in 2007 was the prime example until us this year.

Look at the results this year and you can see the growth in belief right through the season but especially through August and through the finals. I was very confident we were going to play well in the finals (but they far exceeded even my expectations)

The other thing was the second tier players finally stepping up to their potential. Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Lambert and B Ellis. We have been waiting for this for some time.

Martin went to another level, so did Cotchin. The recruitment of Prestia and Caddy were big influences in releasing Martin and Cotchin.

Very few injuries helped. As did good recruiting. There was a distinct change in 2014 and we went for not only speed but repeat/endurance speed. There haven't been many misses in the last couple of years (yes aside from Yarran)

Everything has fallen into place. I now expect the side to be strong finals performers over the next 5 to 10 years. Continuation of the good recruiting will dictate how long we stay up.

Unusual feeling. Not yet used to it.

iTiger59, Broadsword, Jools and 5 others like this.
  16. believe!

believe! Revered

Featured Threads:
    i really liked JR8's take on the grannie, i think it was in a robbo/whately interview, he said that we knew we could take their most damaging attribute [attack] away from them, but they could not take our most damaging attribute [pressure] away from us. that the whole group believed this, was evident throughout the back half of the year. b ellis said as much post geelong or gws- something along the lines of "we KNEW that if we stuck to our process we would win".

17. bagwarn

Apparently our last 10 games was the best in the league for percentage. Why do these pricks keep looking at it as being an aberration? Watched the finals games last night that we were involved in and we shit on all of them. We were next level and how bloody good is it!

terry31, Vines, PROjECT and 3 others like this.
  18. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    We finished 3rd, 1/2 a game off top spot, yet we flew under the radar, way under the radar. Only @sash17 picked it. How did we do it? I'm not sure, but I hope we can do it all again next year.

19. tommy_g

tommy_g Very Very Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    If we can maintain the rage for 2018 and have another successful year, all of a sudden these 'average' players start to get the kudos they deserve.

I have been flicking to fox footy since the end of the season and they are showing great games from the past, plenty of GFs and there are plenty of average players with premiership medallions, but in those games, they played above themselves, that is why their team won a flag

20. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    It is impossible to play above yourself...