1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Yellow Sash Award

The Votes are in for Round 21!

Apologies for not updating the Leaderboard for a few weeks. The good news is that after Round 21, Dusty still has a winning lead over Rance who is still 3 points ahead of Cotch. Following is Astbury, Lambert, Prestia, Grigg, Nankervis,  Riewoldt, and Nick Vlastuin rounding out the top 10.

35 points

16 points

13 points
    1st2nd3rd

Featured Looking back to look forward

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Vines, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    With a few days off for the team, and no game this weekend, let's go over some of the great moments from the 2017 season before we start to focus on the preliminary final.

I'll kick us off with:

1. Dan Rioli's blinder v West Coast, rightly nominated for GOY, is a metaphor for our season really. Scores close, Punt Road End, second and third efforts, unselfish play, some sublime skill and the army at the G in full voice. Hope it wins!

2. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Jack Graham's successful debut

:D

colossus, Graeme Bowman and Vosstiger like this.
  3. Bubble O Bill

Bubble O Bill Very Well Liked

I don't know if the first final counts but Cotchin's goal in the last game has been my favourite moment so far.
    For all the difficulties he has been through, the criticisms of him, his leadership and his finals record, and for all of the effort he has given to help us get to where we are.
    It was a beautiful moment and reward for all of his hard work.
    Couldn't have been prouder or happier for him :D

4. Vines

Featured Threads:
    One of the best goals I've ever seen Bob!

Bubble O Bill likes this.
  5. Bubble O Bill

It was so so good. Still get shivers thinking about it

Apart from that, the moments which I've enjoyed the most this year are not so much individual but those that have shown our growth as a team. The first game which showed that this year was going to be different to last. A game plan we could believe in. The win over Essendon where they steadied and won after three heartbreaking losses. Showed enormous courage and resilience. The win over Port in Adelaide when the top four was ours for the taking and we grabbed it with both hands. Showed that we belonged. The last two wins when everything clicked and you could feel the belief. The fear and uncertainty that has grown in the opposition along the way. They feel it too. ;)

It has been cathartic after so many years of disappointment and heartache.
    Like so many of us here, I've spent a long time tempering the excitement of big moments and bracing for the worst.
    It feels amazing to let that all go and start believing again too :D

believe!, Vosstiger, Jools and 3 others like this.
  6. Crusher

Crusher Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Our tackling throughout the season!
    I was highlighting it on here for years and we've finally seen the light.
    Young Jack Graham(9) in his 3 games is only averaging below S Selwood(11.4) at this point, Steve Morris got 6 in his one game and the Captain(5.5) has the most followed by Lambert(4.8), Prestia(4.2) and Nankervis(4). Caddy(3.3)
    That's 4 of this years recruits that rank highly for tackles! :)

7. Graeme Bowman

Graeme Bowman Revered

Featured Threads:
    I'll nominate the moment Caddy's hamstring injury occurred, not as a great moment, but as a defining moment, as this lead to Townsend's opportunity and the good that has come from it. In the last few minutes of the final, it was a real hoot to see him rucking against Zac Smith at boundary throw-ins. Importantly, Smith didn't have it all his own way.

Vines and amigo like this.
  8. CrazyLikeaFox

CrazyLikeaFox Very Very Well Liked

Vlaustin's whole season, especially when he came back from injury. I see the ball near him and I am relieved because he just makes good choices, future captain I think. As amazing as the whole backline has been (Rance, Astbury and Grimes for so well) I the Vlaustin has taken his game to another level at just the right time.

herky, Vosstiger, Jools and 2 others like this.
  9. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Yeah we missed him when he was out, Crazy. Gone from being a 10-15 disposal guy to a 15-20 disposal guy and his marking is as brave as there is in the business.

iTiger59 likes this.
  10. thebigricho

thebigricho Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Dusty's entire year.

I have plenty of moments where I wonder how much of this year is attributable to other factors v how much is just the fact Dusty has taken the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated it.

11. Vines

Featured Threads:
    He grabs the team, chucks them on his back and they follow. Cotch has lifted in this regard as well.

Graeme Bowman likes this.
  12. country-tige

country-tige Seriously Well Liked

This reminds me of the whole "half a step backwards to go two steps forwards" which I bloody well hated - but must admit I'm loving being forwards right now - it's bloody awesome.

And given how backwards our last 35 years have been - there must be a shitload of forwards in front of us now.

herky, iTiger59, Vines and 1 other person like this.
  13. Graeme Bowman

Graeme Bowman Revered

Featured Threads:
    Just as Caddy's injury created opportunity for Townsend, I think it was Vlastuin's injury that gave Broad a chance. To see him get aggro with N Riewoldt and Hawkins in consecutive matches, and spear two pinpoint passes to team-mates in the F50 (under finals pressure) shows that he has a versatile toolkit to draw upon. Not sure what others think, but I'd love Broad to become one of those medium-tall utilities we can throw around all over the ground.

My understanding is that Broad also provides cover for our Fab Four Defenders in Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Vlaustin, enabling them to do more than just man their direct opponent. So I'll nominate Vlastuin's injury and Broad's subsequent inclusion as another defining moment in the season.

Interestingly, when both Caddy and Vlastuin returned from injury, they didn't automatically replace their replacements. Broad and Townsend had shown something extra that was worth perservering with and building upon. And they are big, mature, finals-ready bodies, keen to follow instructions and play a role.

When we look back at our finals campaign, we may conclude that Broad and Townsend were in our 'bottom six'. But many a Grand Final has been decided by the quality of the victor's bottom six compared to the loser's bottom six.

14. thebigricho

Featured Threads:
    Early on I thought Broad looked well off the pace but improved as the game went on.

Still think he would be my change for the next game if I made one.

15. Gracie

Featured Threads:
    Who are you bringijg in? Short?

16. thebigricho

Featured Threads:
    I still like Markov.

Gracie likes this.
  17. Vines

Featured Threads:
    I wonder how many top 20 draft picks the Dogs left out of their premiership team last year? We've got 5 I can think of in the VFL team.

18. Gracie

Featured Threads:
    Good point

Although we have just one player on the injury list so this is a particularly unusual year.

19. Bubble O Bill

Me too. Markov is going to be really really good.
    Showed some promising signs earlier in the year and started to use his pace more effectively towards the end. Having said that, I saw Broad as the better choice because he is a better shut down defender and allows more flexibility with Rance and co. A question to those who may know more about both, is this a fair assessment or am I just making things up?