1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.
  3. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice

Peggy O'Neal as president (split from Introductory posts)

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Vines, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Vines

Vines Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    If one of the key reasons for her appointment was to stop a divided board from splintering further into factional decline then I'd say she's a raging success.
    Also: A board challenge was effortlessly headed off recently, the swift action on the assistant coaching staff and football directors was reactionary and neccessary after such a poor season in field (Balme, Caracalla, Leppitsch and Clarke - all appear good pick ups), despite shit crowds because of poor on field performance and $300k in lost sponsorship out of the board's control we were only $80k down on the year and still turned over record membership numbers.

Anduril and Vosstiger like this.
  2. Vines

Featured Threads:
    But I'm not the one lavishing praise all over the prez like some heap shit on her so I don't know why I should have to defend her while the mud slingers come up with zip.

I'd suggest that if you want to lay blame at someone's feet because your footy team didn't play well this year, you angle it more at the footy team.

17Sash, Redhead and Anduril like this.
  3. amigo

amigo Revered

So let me get this straight @Vines ..............you're happy with the direction the club and most importantly, the team is heading?

You're happy to keep the coach but sack most of his assistants?

You're happy to keep our list manager, you're happy with a former Melbourne wooden spoon recruiter who is now our head of recruiting?

Do you think we have been and are on the right track?

If not, what solutions do you propose to rectify the situation?

4. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Sack Peggy!

Mr Babilla likes this.
  5. Jools

Jools Seriously Well Liked Assistant Coach

Featured Threads:
    Frank Costa is another President who weathered the storm of an unexpected drop down the ladder.
    If we don't see a better result next season then I will be happy to change coaches.

Vosstiger likes this.
  6. Vines

Featured Threads:
    I wanted Dimma sacked at halftime of the swans game last year...but it's not about what I want. It's about what's best for the team of players. Fact is, despite losing three finals, he coached 42 wins in those three years. Another fact is, irrespective of his contract extension, he would've still coached us this year, probably to a similar finish on the ladder.

People rave on about our lack of development - that is the number one responsibility of the assistants so yeah really happy to see them shipped and some guys with excellent records and reputations brought in.

Pretty happy with Balme coming in and making some waves.

Recruiter?? Guess we'll all find out in a few years won't we?!!!! Unless you're a one and done trigger happy exec (or fan/member/supporter/whatever!).

Lastly, we definitely have been on the right track. Most tiger fans/members/supporters/whatever my age still talk about the 95 semi like it was a premiership. We wonder what if Richo didn't do his knee at the scg. We wonder what if Freezer didn't miss most the year. That's what we ****ing cling to, a semi final victory. Because for our lifetime we have always been shithouse or just not quite good enough to make finals.

Until this year, we had made finals three years in a row winning a heap of games including some famous wins over hawthorn and Sydney.

I hope 2016 was a blip and we bounce back next year or at the very least show some upward curve.

Anduril, Vosstiger, Egg and 3 others like this.
  7. amigo

amigo Revered

Hear hear!

Vines likes this.
  8. BigTigerCasey

BigTigerCasey Revered Coterie Member

Wholeheartedly agree!

9. thebigricho

thebigricho Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Anyone can have whatever opinion they like but if they are not a member or choose not to vote then their involvement in the running of the club becomes mute in my eyes.

I didn't come up with zip, I pointed out areas I think she has gone wrong in and you played the 'I know you are but what am I defence'.

I understand what you're saying about the football side of things but the reality is that responsibility always falls onto the key positions in any organisation.

If we lose the first 6 games next year and Hardwick is sacked it won't be because he didn't get a kick but that's the reality of the industry.

I'll rebut as follows:

1. Being the candidate both sides will cop so they don't have to concede to each other is hardly the bigest feather in a cap.

2. I think the board challenge headed itself off. Regardless though the fact that members were disillusioned enough to take that action is more of a black mark against the board than not. Even Caro said that and she is Peggy's biggest supporter.

3. Agree that the coaching appointments were good but the Hardwick extension still casts a big shadow in that area. Throw in the shabby treatment of Williams and the questionable nature of the 'review' and I think its close to a nil all draw there.

4. If lost sponsorship isn't in the board's control then whose is it in? Comes back to the value of your brand and the sort of partners you attract for mine.

I agree with that in general but very rarely on this site. From my point of view I don't care if our President is man, woman or beast as long as they are effective. I also used to go hard at Gary March by the way.

Broadsword and amigo like this.
  10. Forbesy

Forbesy Revered Assistant Coach

We improved heaps under March's leadership, we've improved again under O'Neal's leadership. Mostly off-field and stunning improvement.
    If the president is ultimately responsible for the team's performance, as you claim, then March was all over the shop.

2005 - 12th Clinton Casey
    2006 - 9th (16 teams) Gary March
    2007 - wooden spoon
    2008 - 9th
    2009 - 15th
    2010 - 15th
    2011 - 12th (17 teams)
    2012 - 12th (18 teams)
    2013 - 5th
    2014 - 8th Peggy O'Neal
    2015 - 5th
    2016 - 13th

Vosstiger and Vines like this.
  11. amigo

amigo Revered

March took over a complete basket case of a football club and left it much improved, on field and off. He inherited the Wallace/Miller situation, and the decisions the club made in 2009 set up the next 4 years, which took us from 15th to 5th. Steady improvement in my books.
    On those figures on field there has been no improvement under O'Neal's leadership, and if 2016 is not a blip, then it's a major deterioration under O'Neal.

2017 is wait and see......................for the verdict on the O'Neal led board.

12. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Now that we can agree on.....not the "O'Neal sucks" rhetoric that has been wheeled out of late.

Egg, Anduril and HKTiger like this.
  13. Forbesy

Forbesy Revered Assistant Coach

I get it now. Gary March is not ultimately accountable for the team's performance, which I agree with, for being shitful for 5 years/mediocre for 2 years/good for 1 year of his presidency but Peggy O'Neal is ultimately accountable.

17Sash, Mr Babilla, Anduril and 2 others like this.
  14. Vosstiger

Vosstiger Revered Assistant Coach Coterie Member

Yep

Well put

It seems so but shouldn't

15. Black

Black Loved Site Immortal

I wanted him sacked at quarter time in Round 1 of 2010.

Haha !

Which , when you have a little brother is always swiftly followed by you grabbing his hand and using it as a weapon against him as you laugh and repeat..' stop hitting yourself , stop hitting yourself , stop hitting yourself '

Ok I'll go there.

As it stands in the year 2016 , an apprenticeship and subsequent earned credentials in the newly formed womens' league , or a reputation that can't be ignored at local level is the only way I believe that a female president of a testosterone filled AFL environment will succeed.

Has she even sold a raffle ticket at local level ?

She knows **** all about footy and it's ridiculous that she's our president.

16. thebigricho

thebigricho Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I don't think every board member needs to have great footy knowledge but the board as a whole certainly needs it and that is where the current lot falls down.

They have a lot of eggs in the B Gale basket in that regard, and I'm not sure that is wise.

17. Anduril

Anduril Seriously Well Liked Assistant Coach Site Immortal

@Vines love your work and common sense.

(And just for the record the "ring-fenced" comment in today's Age has clarified things for me too.)

18. amigo

amigo Revered

If 2017 is a debacle, then the rhetoric will be there in spades.

And the reason for the focus on O'Neil is she is president. A bit like an unpopular government, the PM always cops it, they are perceived to be in charge and therefore responsible. Do I still need to spell that out?

As far as the "O'Neil sucks" rhetoric, many supporters are disappointed by the teams performance in 2016, and some see the future as hopeless under her board setup. You may be more optimistic, which is good, but others are entitled to their opposing opinion too. And in that opinion, O'Neil sucks.

2017 will see whose opinion is correct.

19. Vines

Featured Threads:
    You can spell out what you like amigo...I reckon we've all read your copy and paste posts 100 times this year. Feel free to go again and again though - that is your right.

I like a bit more (or some) substance before I grant acceptance of other people's opinions, otherwise it's simply whingeing or "look at me, I like being in the vocal minority, listen to me roar...".

Funny how you gave Peter ****ing Gordon over 10 years and two cracks at it before proclaiming him the messiah - yet you give our president 3 years.

You act like I am satisfied with 2016 because I don't want to burn the witch at the stake...I choose to look elsewhere at departments I believe have a lot more influence on field than the president.

And for the political record, I (and the electorate I live in) tends to blame the sitting member every federal election, not the PM. Been a long time since the federal member for Bass served consecutive terms, and it's also been a while since an elected PM served their full term in this country...Malcolm appears to be going along okay in that regard.

Vosstiger, Anduril and Redhead like this.
  20. BigTigerCasey

BigTigerCasey Revered Coterie Member

Hi @Anduril

Not sure what the "ring-fence" comment above refers to, but clearly aimed at myself and @SimonWallace given we both have that stance.

There are things with respect to Peggy's reappointment which are not kosher, irrespective of whether it is the right call or not.

At this stage, I am not going to raise that muck publicly, however, if reappointing Peggy is the correct decision, I would like to Board to explain that to the members. I have no visibility to determine if that is the correct decision.

I find it odd, that the two newest members to the Board are the ones that need to face the membership too retain their positions. Peggy has been quite vocal about the amount of renewal on the Boar, but it seems to be the same deck chairs being moved around to make it look like change. Emmet could have just as easily been the appointed Director as Peggy, as could have been Kerrie.

TBH, the more I become involved in this, the less satisfied I am with the Board's behaviours.

Rumpole, Broadsword and thebigricho like this.