1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RFC News Richmond’s rookie riddle

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Ned, Mar 14, 2017.

1. bagwarn

bagwarn Seriously Well Liked

We've gone and drafted 25 fleas into the mix GB, so I reckon you'd be close there. You'd be absolutely filthy being a steady back man and chasing around some of the chihuahuas (anyone ever tried to spell that dog off of their own bat before - my god!) that will be tearing around our forward half!

2. bagwarn

bagwarn Seriously Well Liked

Your final sentence there bush Tige is what concerns me ("to add flyweights to our Rioli stock at the expense of size"). I think we will really regret not collecting Josh Battle off of the table when he was available. We went small (along with the dozen other smalls we have) and he was the leading goal kicker in that rep year. Kicked 5 in St K's intra club the other week. What am I worried about anyway, it's our recruitment department I am talking about .....

iTiger59 likes this.
  3. colossus

colossus Revered

Your right about one thing,the coach has input into the type he want's to bring into the club,but he doesn't get to say what player it is.
    Planning for the list is done as soon as the rookie draft is over,the club look at any voids in the list,then they look at who are the free agents,who are out of contract ,then we have to look at our salary cap.
    Coaches come and go,and some have left lists in a terrible state ,going after player's they have wanted,most clubs have realized this,and now balance the list by having a list manager
    Ask the Brisbane lions how letting a coach control your recruiting ends up,and soon Eddiewood.

Black, Anduril and Graeme Bowman like this.
  4. Graeme Bowman

Graeme Bowman Revered

Featured Threads:
    Given this discussion has mainly been about adding players to the list, I'm interested in your insights, @colossus, on what combination of factors determine whether a player remains on the list, or is removed. Even if the coach has little input into the exact player recruited in the first place, once that player is on the list the coach's influence over that player's tenure must surely become far greater.

Perhaps it's easier to explore this topic through one tangible example, say, Todd Elton, who seems to be permanently oscillating between promise and disappointment. When it came time to renew his last contract, what relative influence would the various members of the football department have had, and how would the decision have been reached? May some of their thinking have been along these lines:
    • He's progressing at an acceptable rate, with significant upside, and may be on the verge of 'breaking out'
    • If nothing else, he is a solid squad player and a handy backup
    • Players of his size and ability are not common, so are not easily replaced anyway
    • He is a good club man, on and off the field, and relates well to coaches and other players
    • He's not costing us big money
    How would all the above factors and thoughts swirl around in the cauldron of decision-making, and who are the main folk stirring the pot?

colossus likes this.
  5. colossus

colossus Revered

With the Gws and the Suns joining the league,it has put an extra 80 plus player's into the Afl,so club's will carry certain player's longer.
    The worry for me ,is that the Tiges don't have much kpp coming up,Elton has been a disappointment to me,l liked him at junior level,but he hasn't come on,Broad could be a key player,but hasn't shown much yet,Chol is still in develop mode,Garthwaite is the same as Chol.

Keeping Elton has become a necessity ,he has become no1 back up to the key positions for 2017 anyway.
    You would hope the Tigers are targeting a kp player at the trade or free agency,and also in the national draft for the future.

The Tiges certainly have made a conscientious decision to go for speed in the draft the last 2 years,but that certainly was needed,but l think we could of added a extra kp into the mix.

I have never been a big fan of our recruiting,and believe we have missed out on a few decent player's ,but that change has been made,and maybe the next change could be Hartley,but then again we have a great year,and he's a genius o_O

iTiger59, Vosstiger and Graeme Bowman like this.
  6. Black

Black Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Mate , I agree with every bit of that post.

All I was trying to say is that the coach is front and centre and has a huge input when all the discussion is happening about list management in regards to which type of player the coach needs to achieve success , which player is expendable , what a listed player's worth is in regards to trading him for players/picks and importantly , which targetted 'big fish' players he would most like to bring into the club.

TigerHardwick likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    I wonder whose decision it was to move on Mitchell and Lewis and separately to secure Mitchell and O'Meara. There is absolutely no doubt Clarkson was a key decision maker and party to that scenario.
    To suggest coaches have no say in 'the who' of list decisions is fanciful at best.
    And to suggest clubs can't trust calls on players by the head coach because they may not be around is laughable. It basically says every coach is on notice regardless of tenure and dickheads like Francis Jackson gets to hold the keys to the coaches future.

Black and 17Sash like this.
  8. thebigricho

thebigricho Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I can't speak for Richmond but my experience elsewhere is that the senior coach is a key influencer in almost every decision in the footy club.

Whilst there are obviously other staff members charged with ultimate responsibility in areas, I can't imagine a player being drafted or traded if a coach didn't want them or a player not being drafted or traded if they did.

Lazza and Black like this.
  9. 17Sash

17Sash Seriously Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    Yes, the coach has an overarching strategy and the players must conform to the system.
    When Beveridge decided to join the Bulldogs, instead of accepting the football director role at St Kilda, he stipulated Picken must play as a forward.

10. TigerHardwick

TigerHardwick Revered

Featured Threads:

Clarkson even said during the week if that plan backfired and one or both of them stayed at the club he wouldn't be able to look them in the eye

11. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    Imagine the surprise on Hardwick's face when they told him they had traded Delidio and Vickery and secured Caddy and Prestia.. he must have wet himself with excitement .. :rolleyes:

bagwarn likes this.
  12. Snorkle

Snorkle Very Very Well Liked

LOL how do you know that? The coach has a huge say in list management at most clubs. I'd assume at Richmond we ask the coach which areas he thinks need improving during the off-season, and I'd hope key forwards was very much on Dimma's mind. The fact Ben Griffiths can barely touch the football in pre-season yet be a walk up start is damning on our KPF stocks.

I'm on the record as a Dan Richardson critic and Clueless Cameron before him too. It's not all Dimma, but let's not pretend he has no say in recruiting.

bagwarn likes this.
  13. Snorkle

Snorkle Very Very Well Liked

Ah, I see people have already had this discussion since the last time I logged in. 18 months on Y&B and I still can't navigate this forum properly

14. thebigricho

thebigricho Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I can sense a big future for Snorkle.

A the big future in fact.

Snorkle likes this.