1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team performance - what is missing?

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by TigerTimmy, Mar 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TigerTimmy

TigerTimmy Very Very Well Liked

Mr Babilla - where are you at with this now?

2. TigerTimmy

Has that been acknowledged by said person?
    Is the Club now not trying to clean up the mess?

3. TigerTimmy

Yes, when people take responsibility, they become unencumbered. Yes it may not look good for oneself, however it is respected and admired by other. There is new found freedom when integrity is restored by taking actions to be accountable. And with team performance, if a culture of tending to one's integrity is foremost, then amazing results can come. RFC have no muscle in this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Althom, Graeme Bowman and Broadsword like this.
  4. Mr Babilla

Mr Babilla Revered

Featured Threads:
    Exactly the same place I was when I wrote it. Why would I have changed my view - because a bunch of nuffy's want their five minutes in the spotlight?

colossus likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    What's missing you ask?
    A few talented players.
    A few talented coaches.
    A few talented recruiters.
    A few leaders.
    And a few board members that can recognize the first 3 missing requirements.

The rest of the missing football elements flow .... all fixable ... just a matter of the plan and time.
    Oh, and one last missing element - communication of the said plan .... the board and executive have been extremely poor in this area.

Ms Tantie and Graeme Bowman like this.
  6. Mr Babilla

Mr Babilla Revered

Featured Threads:
    You're right about the communication to a certain degree Lazza.

I'd like to see less spin, less jargon, less cliche, and more simple, straight, open and honest communication.

Although Peggy O'Neal is pretty good in that regard, Benny has too much MBA about his communication, and Dimma just can't take control of his messaging at pressers. He's all over the shop.

Lazza and Ms Tantie like this.
  7. TigerTimmy

Ahhhhh! A new season to start, and Tigers enjoy a moment of being equal!

Steeped in hope, Tiger fans anticipate an improvement in performance, "We're looking good!"

The team has a cracking start against old enemies of C followed by another against C to be 2 and zip. Another spirited win against the weagles, followed by a comfortable win at the Gabba to be 4 and zip. Finally a win against the Ds, now the Club is purring with 5 straight without loss. OMG, finally, a strong start to the season! Finals! Winning in finals! "This is our year!"

Wait, hold that hope! Is that probable? Is that predictable? Take a deep breadth. Another. History says otherwise. If your going on past form, what is going to be more likely is a 2-3 or 1-4 start. That, followed by Rd 6 and 7 opposition, it could easily be 2-5, or 1-6. And yes that's not going to be acceptable against Tiger expectations, however, it is completely predictable, and unsurprising. Ridiculously, the results that are likely with the current head coach, are untenable for the CEO and current Board. (Why put yourself in this position? -More on this in a future post).

That said, if the Club has cleared the decks on the past, for example; Neil Balme has impacted it in a powerful way, then a new possibility of performance is available. Balme is good, can he affect the acculturated mediocrity alone? Maybe other leadership within the Club have started to deal with it too? Maybe the Club has a better handle on the source of performance. I hope, but not hopeful! Time will tell.

So Tiger fans, fasten your seat belts, I thinks! What we hope, against the likely reality, they're not a match. There's going to be an unacceptable gap I feel. And if we are 1-5, with most of the goodwill to current coach, CEO, and Board exhausted, it's going to get ugly fast with media frenzy to boot!

Again in Tiger hope, hope I'm wrong.

8. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    3-1 would be minimum expectations from this block. 2-2 or worse would indicate to me that we won't be playing finals. Early call? Perhaps...

Gracie and thebigricho like this.
  9. BigTigerCasey

BigTigerCasey Loved

Featured Threads:
    Harsher than me, but I think closer to the truth.

As posted elsewhere, Rd 5 is the bellwether (assuming we DO beat Carltank and Bears - drop either of those and we are definitely on the nose)

10. Crusher

Crusher Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    If we start 0-2, I'm hibernating for the rest of the season....... :eek:

Gracie likes this.
  11. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    We will be 2-0 with a percentage of 182.75%

You know it makes sense.

Lazza likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    Well the ski fields are likely to be less visited this year. So plenty of room for you Bear-hug..

13. TigerTimmy

Thu night opposition are completely under the radar. They will be well planned and structured despite commentary about cattle quality and circumstance. Could have gone either way last year and unlikely to be any different this week. The question that will be answered Thu night is "Which team has improved more in last 12 months?"

thebigricho and Graeme Bowman like this.
  14. Graeme Bowman

Graeme Bowman Revered

Featured Threads:
    @TigerTimmy, are you aware that, with this one comment, you have single-handedly plunged a sizable portion of Australia's population into a deeply depressive state?

Lazza and Ms Tantie like this.
  15. TigerTimmy

Sorry GB, didn't mean too, but hey, if the Tiges do prove the lesser, the blow will be softened on Thu night?

Graeme Bowman likes this.
  16. Ms Tantie

Ms Tantie Loved

Featured Threads:
    I don't care if the blow's soft or hard, as long as it wor- oh, THAT blow! ;)

Nosey!
    Ms Tantie.
    xox

17Sash and Graeme Bowman like this.
  17. Crusher

Crusher Revered Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
  18. TigerTimmy

What an awesome start! 5 and zip, wow! Unpredictable and a fantastic result for us to roar about! Pity my tipping didn't follow the above call!

And my Tiger hope was climbing stratospheric until the 2nd quarter got well underway in Adelaide.

Gee, if the Tiges had taken the opportunity, to take the lead further out in the in the last 5 minutes of 1st quarter. For if not poor decision, execution, and errors, it could have been Adelaide heading into the rooms 4 goals and a bag of self-doubt. They may have still been in the contest at half time rather than not. It's a fine line this footy caper!

More worryingly was most of the team going AWOL when Adelaide turned the screws in the 2nd. Apart from Cotchin, who was an absolute standout, Rance, Astbury, Martin, MacIntosh, Grimes and Rioli were OK, and the rest, woeful! Riewoldt, Prestia, Caddy, Grigg, Houli, Ellis, Nankervis, Vlastuin and Conca - a large cast - dominated and made irrelevant. Butler, Markov, and Castagna are green and can be forgiven for mistakes/poor game.

Hardwick persists with Lambert and Morris for their physical commitment and ability to lock down opposition players. At what cost? Neither is reliable to hit a target with a field pass. Too many times they don't, and when they miss, often, it is costly in giving goals to opposition or denying the Tiges one. Ordinariness are a contaminant in high performance, it calls others to that level, it permutes.

So where is the team at? Hardwick infers when he says "Are we 70 or 80 points off them(Adelaide)? No, I don't think so" that the result was an aberration. At the end of last year many a Tiger player showed a loss of appetite to compete when things are not going well. Aberration or repeat?

So, what's missing? The Club would serve all well by tending to the performance inconsistency. The excellence of the first 5 weeks is undermined by the mediocrity of Sunday. This can be achieved simply by the Chair or CEO by declaring along the like "all within the Club are working towards bringing consistency of competitive performance within the team on-field. Further to that, Sunday's game, unlike the first 5 games of the season, was not that. We have asked the football department to report back as to what they attribute the source of the unacceptable ineffectiveness of the team after the 1st quarter against Adelaide, and what actions they are taking to remediate it from it re-occurring. Again we'd like to re-iterate to our members and supporters RFC are committed to consistent performance that generate ongoing successful results, or at the absolute minimum, a contest our supporters can be proud of. We acknowledge we are not there yet, however we continue to stand and work for that. We thank all members and supporters for their patience and generosity."

The next 5 weeks include Dogs, Giants and Roos, all away games, interspaced with Dockers and Dons at home. All not in the inner sanctum at Punt Rd don't know what is really going on in there, and even those who do, probably are no wiser to how it's going to roll. Come the mid-season bye it will be clear. 7-4 or better and there on track for finals with the easier draw. 6-5 or one worse closes the opportunity for finals.

19. amigo

amigo Revered

Featured Threads:
    The biggest thing missing is consistency, not so much week to week, more during games we play one or two good 1/4's and the rest well below this level.

The reason for this inconsistency I have no idea. From watching the Adelaide game it appears we get ahead of ourselves and don't follow team rules.
    After a disciplined first 1/4, examples include Jack passing the ball from the wing to the corridor, Markov doing the same, Lambert trying to thread the eye of the needle with pin point bullet passes that he's clearly not capable of.
    There seemed to be a distinct lack of manning up after 1/4 time too. I would have thought that's the first thing you do to stem the tide, make sure your opponent does not beat you, tighten up defensively.

There's probably some coaching issues involved too, playing Morris forward(has Hardwick not learnt from the last time he tried this), not dropping struggling players when we had the chance before we got smashed.

Whichever way the club wants to spin it, the Adelaide game was a massive reality check. It may provide the impetus a young team and new coaching group needs to tackle those problems mentioned prior.

Let's see how we respond this week. We couldn't have asked for a better follow up game.

iTiger59, Vosstiger, believe! and 2 others like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    I'm amused that there is an expectation that we would substantially better than last year.

This year we are still down on personnel - we are short on key position players and ruck. We have addressed our mids somewhat, but our depth is very immature. We are playing the kids who are 2 yrs off being consistent and full-game contributors.

Some are given what I call proof games which will determine their tenure.
    I'm convinced Prestia and Martin are carrying injuries.

If you look at our games so far there is no doubt our winning start could have been different if not for poor kicking by our opponents. Our expectations should be tempered by this.

What is evident is a new game style which will be easier to sustain and bring better success once our skills improve and confidence and trust in each other improves which comes with playing a lot of games together. We have a lot of newbies in our team and with our shortage of talls our team structure is compromised.
    What was obvious on Sunday was Adelaide took their first option every time, quickly and with confidence and accuracy. We did early on, but with it came mistakes and then a fall in confidence and execution ... this will change in time, but we need to persist with this to improve.

I'm wondering if Hardwick has assurance he will see out his contract. The coaching has changed and Hardwick is less defensive about performance. The Board and Executive will certainly have a realistic appreciation of where we are at.

My view is that we are 2 yrs away from being competitive in a finals context. And that will still require some smart trading and recruiting.

Last edited: May 1, 2017