1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging in?

With the recent changes to the website protocol from http to https, you may experience difficulty logging into the site.

To remedy this, simply clear your browser cache. If you are unsure how do this, please follow these instructions.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Yellow Sash Award

The Votes are in for Round 15!

The Leaderboard after Round 15 shows Dusty pulling away from the competition with Rance opening up a small break now 3 points ahead of Cotch..

26 points

13 points

10 points
    1st2nd3rd

4. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.

The Bont wanted to be Richo

Discussion in 'AFL General Discussion' started by Forbesy, May 15, 2017.

1. Forbesy

Forbesy Revered Assistant Coach

Featured Threads:
    Marcus Bontempelli idolised Matthew Richardson when he dreamt of being an AFL star
    MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
    Sunday Herald Sun
    May 15, 2017

“RICHO, Richo maaaaan, I want to be a Richo man!”

As a young kid growing up in Melbourne it was almost a given that your sporting hero would be one of the best players in the football team you barracked for. I barracked for the Tigers and my sporting hero was Matthew Richardson (at least initially anyway).

I would sing and hum that chant all the way home from Jolimont station, my Richmond flag wound up tightly in one hand and a hot jam doughnut in the other, which became mandatory as it would often ease the pain of the game’s result (the Tiges didn’t win much when I was a kid).

I loved Richo because other than the obvious talent he possessed he was one of the most entertaining footballers I’ve ever witnessed, he played with passion and intensity, and his unpredictability set him apart, which frustrated dad, and probably most supporters at different times. But Richo always seemed to be at the centre of attention.

He brought people through the gates because he engaged with them, when Richo charged at the crowd after kicking a goal you felt like he was charging towards you, I felt connected. It’s this engagement with young kids particularly that can have such a lasting impression, and as a result, inspire them into following their dreams and for me, ultimately achieving mine.

At halftime when watching the game at home it was my turn to be Richo, slowly wearing out the cushioning on the arm of our couch at home because I continued to take “Richo-esque” marks on it. I invented new ways to get around Mum’s “no balls in the house” rule, often folding up socks to banana around the hallway entrance, or scrunching up old newspaper and taping it together.

I wanted to be Richo so badly, I made mum buy me the same boots he wore — a white Nike pair with a red tick — and I’d always pull my socks up to match.

As a kid there was never any doubt that Richo and I would one day be teammates, which to the average Joe would seem absurd, and never did end up happening, but Richo’s influence over my hopes and dreams was significant. If I hadn’t been so awe-struck as a kid who knows how life would be different for me today?

bont.jpg
    Bontempelli, right, with Richo.

Full article at: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/96e422a1e43942b78dcda27eea1be786

2. Ms Tantie

Ms Tantie Loved

Featured Threads:
    Is he into cosplay? Hey Marcus, sign to Richmond and you can wear the number 12 guernsey. :)

I'm sure Dave won't mind. ;)

Apple!
    Ms Tantie.
    xox

believe! likes this.
  3. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Bontempelli + Fyfe + Scully

They would look good next to Martin + Cotchin + Rance and Riewoldt

4. Mr Babilla

Mr Babilla Revered

Featured Threads:
    Fyffe and Bont. Tiger tragics.

On top of the last two weeks.

No. It's just not bloody fair. Come on universe, give us a break will ya?

Broadsword and Gracie like this.