Yellow and Black Online
This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Printable Version

+- Yellow and Black Online (https://yellowandblack.com.au)
+-- Forum: Non Football Discussion (https://yellowandblack.com.au/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Help & Suggestions Forum (https://yellowandblack.com.au/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online (/showthread.php?tid=17559)

Pages: 1 2 3

This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Ned - 11-11-2018

As mentioned in my last post on the site:

I am aware that some members of the site have voiced their concerns about the number of times that I’ve changed the software that runs on this site. I have made no secret of the fact that I like Yellow and Black to use software that I can learn from and perhaps use elsewhere.

With the forum software used by the now old site (Discourse) I dad to admit that I’d bitten off more than I coukd chew, that’s for sure. While I believe that the software itself is superior to other forum software that is currently available; for a ‘tinkerer’ like myself, it was driving me crazy! There were restrictions on many aspects of the software and I am unfamiliar with the programming language - Ruby on Rails - and even less so when it comes to the ‘container’ on the server in which it runs. The software doesn't even have a setting for closing the site!

Needless to say, this had reduced my enjoyment of the site as I no longer had the same control. I have tried offering to pay programmers to migrate from this forum to other software. The response is the same - it’s too difficult and nobody has ever moved FROM Discourse rather than TO Discourse so they aren’t keen to take it on.

Things to take into account with this new software:
  • 2018 posts won't be found here. I'm working on a way to get a read only or to migrate the discussions.
  • Your E-mail address is the same as what it was before the last software move. I'm working on updating them, so if you don't have access to your old E-mail address, send me a PM with the details and I'll fix the issue.
  • I'm working on the colour scheme Smile
  • Please don't log any issues (other than you can't login)
  • If you can't login, do a password reset (remembering that it'll go to the last E-mail address you had in December 2017). If all else fails, send me a message
  • Enjoy!

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Ned - 11-11-2018

There were only 17 new members which I was able to add manually. As they login to the site, I’ll move them to their correct user group (e.g. Senior Member).

I’ve already noticed one and have promoted them Smile

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Jools - 11-11-2018

I find this software easier to use, but I'm not a programmer.
I know there will be a lot to do, but will it be possible to have the MyBB GoMobile version at some stage? I tend to read on my phone a lot.

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Ned - 11-11-2018

(11-11-2018, 21:02)Jools Wrote: I find this software easier to use, but I'm not a programmer.
I know there will be a lot to do, but will it be possible to have the MyBB GoMobile version at some stage? I tend to read on my phone a lot.

Welcome!

I didn’t know about GoMobile - I’ll have a look at it and see if I can install it.

Thanks for the suggestion Smile

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Vines - 13-11-2018

I like this layout, even on my phone!!!

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Ned - 13-11-2018

(13-11-2018, 19:54)Vines Wrote: I like this layout, even on my phone!!!
That’s good to hear!

I thought this software would be more user friendly for everyone - including me  Smile

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Vines - 14-11-2018

Many from the old site moving over Ned?
Might need to start a new thread or two...hmm...

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Ned - 14-11-2018

(14-11-2018, 18:10)Vines Wrote: Many from the old site moving over Ned?
Might need to start a new thread or two...hmm...
Only a few so far.

I am going to have some time on my hands over December and January and hope to get some of the 2018 posts migrated here.

Post threads at will Big Grin

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - Jools - 14-11-2018

Just waiting for the draft Smile

RE: This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online - thebigricho - 15-11-2018

Maybe it was just me not being around much lately but I had no idea there was a change in the works until I read it on the other site just now.