Yellow and Black Online
what a good time to be a Tigers fan - Printable Version

+- Yellow and Black Online (https://yellowandblack.com.au)
+-- Forum: Football Department (https://yellowandblack.com.au/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Richmond Ramblings (https://yellowandblack.com.au/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: what a good time to be a Tigers fan (/showthread.php?tid=17583)

what a good time to be a Tigers fan - ceehook - 15-01-2019

getting ready for work I glanced at my 2017 premiership souvenir this morning , you cant help but feel good

we all rode down to the depths again in 2016 after having such high hopes from being in finals 3 years in a row

roll on 2019

we are premiership Favs with the bookies - well hello how good is that , the football world respects us , we have found RESPECT
and aren't talking about it

the first training yesterday and people are commenting how fit all the guys look
in contract to the dark years when the big ticket item was how many were in rehab or worse still not present

the club seems very comfortable in tis skin
there's no trash talk coming out of Punt Rd or big promises

in previous years we grabbed Caddy , Prestia , Nank  clever gets

but this year we got Tom Lynch , the big fish of last years club moves  WOW
how long since that happened  ?

Nathan Brown from the bulldogs ?  or do we go back to the 70's ???

dusty served up a year of ridiculous sublime skills in 2017 and got a Brownlow for his troubles then in 2018 has a "down year" according to the experts
but tops the Champion data rankings and has returned looking super fit and relaxed  - how good is that , I'm so excited 

then we cast an eye over our latest National draft picks , we seemed to be very focused on All Australian , Captain , B&F winner  ....
and scoring high in the draft combine speed tests
it was like we shouldn't have done that well with those picks

and we still have CCJ & Balta looming large as AFL prospects from the year befores ND

everywhere you turn there is something to bring joy to a Y&B heart

What am I looking forward to the most  ?

Joint  - having Prestia on the park for more games
and seeing Dusty in full flight again

I think that's were we launch from 2019 , Prestia with his in and under ball getting and Dusty round the outside slicing teams to shreds and the rest is icing  ....beautiful icing

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - Bones - 15-01-2019

You are spot on there ceehook, but I still worry about the ruck. Nank vs. Naitanui and Grundy is a weakness.

Our midfield could be stronger, but a fully fit Prestia will be great.

Fingers crossed we don't end up with a Tom Mitchell-like injury.

It would be a real pity if this team couldn't do better than the 1980 crop. Five flags should be the measuring stick now.

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - ceehook - 16-01-2019

(15-01-2019, 15:50)Bones Wrote: You are spot on there ceehook, but I still worry about the ruck. Nank vs. Naitanui and Grundy is a weakness.

It would be a real pity if this team couldn't do better than the 1980 crop. Five flags should be the measuring stick now.

third line  - not liking what you're saying

last line - like what you're thinking  :-)

On the Nank issue , he is both young and some what inexperienced  compared to Nik Nat, Grundy, Gawn
and he does seem to adapt and if he is getting beat in the ruck he seems to respond either around the ground or after breaks

I saw something said that in the minutes when Nank was off  , we'd lose virtually all taps , the opposition didn't score heavily
the suggestion being we structure up so well ahead of the ball winning the tap wasn't crucial
we'd get the ball back and hurt them on the transition     

if we do defend centre bounces and ball ups really well it does negate the value of a tap ruck man
the three mentioned above bring way more than taps at centre bounces
and the issue might be can Nank match them  in those areas of the game ?

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - Gracie - 17-01-2019

(16-01-2019, 16:04)ceehook Wrote:
(15-01-2019, 15:50)Bones Wrote: You are spot on there ceehook, but I still worry about the ruck. Nank vs. Naitanui and Grundy is a weakness.

third line  - not liking what you're saying

last line - like what you're thinking  :-)

On the Nank issue , he is both young and some what inexperienced  compared to Nik Nat, Grundy, Gawn
and he does seem to adapt and if he is getting beat in the ruck he seems to respond either around the ground or after breaks

I saw something said that in the minutes when Nank was off  , we'd lose virtually all taps , the opposition didn't score heavily
the suggestion being we structure up so well ahead of the ball winning the tap wasn't crucial
we'd get the ball back and hurt them on the transition     

if we do defend centre bounces and ball ups really well it does negate the value of a tap ruck man
the three mentioned above bring way more than taps at centre bounces
and the issue might be can Nank match them  in those areas of the game ?

Collingwood took full advantage of Grigg by hitting the ball away as far as they could. Hit outs were against us 60 to 28 but clearances we marginally in their favour.

So Nank in himself is not the problem but our second ruck set up. It has worked for nearly two seasons but we need a new strategy.

Looking forward to seeing the response.

On the rumoured illnesses and injuries affecting our players, I do not know how real they were but looking at minutes played both Astbury and Martin played 10% less time than they generally do.

Looking forward to an injury free Martin in 2019

Biggest thing I am looking forward to is Lynch in the forward line and how this increases our unpredictability in front of goals.

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - tommy_g - 18-01-2019

I think Dusty is going to have the same problem that all great players have and that is the bar is set so much higher for them. I remember when Buckley would get less than 30 touches and he had a quiet night.. If dusty doesn't get 25+, 2 goals and break the line half a dozen times, he is having an off night.

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - ceehook - 18-01-2019

that's very possible but we can hope that Higgins moves into the midfield for passages
cant help but feel he will be a highlights package his whole career
we have Prestia on the field for longer this year , while not spectacular I reckon he will dismantle opposition midfields with his ball extraction ability
Weller could be a wild card if his injuries are sorted and he shows some of his early career promise

then Lynch will draw a lot of attention plus with a preseason behind him Rioli could light up

lots of chances for us (and the football world) to go wow , wow , wow
and be too distracted to count Dusty's disposals :-)
... we can only hope

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - amigo - 18-01-2019

I thought our ruck setup held up well in 2018. We finished minor premiers, and but for a coaching brain fade by Hardwick not to tag Sidebottom, we should have been back to back premiers.

The big risk is if Nank goes down, but most teams have a potential weakness like this, Grundy for the Pies or Kennedy for the Eagles for example.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bolta and Garthwaite stepping up this year, looked good prospects last season.

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - ceehook - 21-01-2019

theres hope yet Hampson might do a Mummy

RE: what a good time to be a Tigers fan - Vines - 29-01-2019

I'm interested to see
- who fits into the forward line with Jack and Lynch.
- who fits into the midfield group with B Ellis training as a wingman
- who we go for as our attacking HBs, and will Garthwaite be able to force his way into the rotation somewhere?