Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Player Countdown
Hello all (assuming all is here - seems a bit deserted)

Anyhow it is now just 45 days to Game day and as usual we will countdown the days by disussing the players in jumper number order.

To kick us off it is Liam Baker # 48 He is 173cm tall and weighs 69kg. Second year on the rookie list, taken at #18 in the 2018 Rookie Draft, and hails from Lake Grace WA. Played 3 games last year.

Thought he actually showed some ability in those three games kicking a goal and averaging 4 score assists. His issue will be that he is small and light and has a huge number of players in front of him for that small forward/midfielder role.
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
VFL watchers seemed to describe him as busy and some saying he'd gone past Bolton & Stengle and hence his games in the top side

He would have to improve on those performances to get a regular game

Watching his game V Collingwood I was left with the feeling maybe
I feel the need , The need for SPEED
There was one point late in the Collingwood I remember where he looked completely exhausted. Nothing left in the tank at all, looked he was trying to run through mud up to his knees.
The other thing that I seem to remember is that he didn't kick that goal until his third game. Had a couple of chances that he should have converted in the earlier matches but missed. If I've got that right (which is not likely I have to admit), hopefully he can tidy that up.
(05-02-2019, 21:46)Tigeriffic Wrote: There was one point late in the Collingwood I remember where he looked completely exhausted. Nothing left in the tank at all, looked he was trying to run through mud up to his knees.
The other thing that I seem to remember is that he didn't kick that goal until his third game. Had a couple of chances that he should have converted in the earlier matches but missed. If I've got that right (which is not likely I have to admit), hopefully he can tidy that up.

without wanting a Baker love fest , any player coming from the VFL can suffer nerves and all will be confronted by the speed, skills and physicality of the top grade

I think its fair to say he's not at AFL standard yet, but he got a taste and we'll how that has motivated him this year
With 44 days to game day we have #47 big Ivan Soldo

Ivan is 204cm and 106KG. DOB 14/4/1996 so turns 23 in a couple of months and still a babe in ruckman years. Came to us in the 2015 Rookie Draft as a three year non-registered selection (Category B). At the end of 2017 was evelated to the main list.

Development has been steady but 2018 saw him with no 1 ruck duties in the seconds. Played one game in 2018 now with 8 AFL games to his name. Has kicked one goal.

Our most experience genuine size ruck option.

Has to develop more but as a fill in in his one game last year he did OK. Needs to develop his around the ground game.
Big Ivan has impressed people going to the open trainings this year

Later in the season in a VFL game at Punt Rd he got a ground ball on the grandstand wing

he had to deal with two defenders and sold candy , jinked around beat them both and got the ball on cleanly.
The commentators were in stiches , but in a nice way , he was doing Bolton or Dan Rioli impressions and doing them well
he had to head to the bench straight after , as he was really spent

but it showed he is adding bits to his game
he provides the VFL with a lot of first use ball and gets big hit out numbers when in the AFL side
but the opposition seemed to be able to reading him at that stage

he will be good insurance to have this year if nothing else

if our setup still dictates only 1 ruck and Nank continues to do well and be sound , Ivan might have to be traded on at the end of the season so as to give him the opportunity to play a decent amount of 1st grade
Thanks for starting the countdown Gracie, I look forward to the comments every year Smile
Great stuff Gracie.

Thanks for counting us down to the first match again this year!
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
OK next up is #46 Ben Miller

Ben is 195cm and 94kg. DOB 31/08/1999 so still just 19. Taken at #63 in the 2017 National Draft

He grew up in Kalgoorlie so was not in any of the elite junior programs full time. This is the key for me with Miller. Judging by his commitment to travel regularly from Kalgoorlie to Perth to play for Subiaco's colts team and WA under 18 team I think he has the aptitude and attitude to put the hard work in.

He played all of 2018 in the seconds and held down a key back position. Tired late in season so indicates he needs more time and at just 19 he can spend the next 2 years in the seconds getting his fitness levels up.

Long term replacement for Astbury
Not sure I’d like to be drafted to the Tigers as a key back...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Membership 2019 Jools 1 334 31-01-2019, 12:28
Last Post: Jools
  Tigers in the News 2019 new numbers Crusher 8 472 11-12-2018, 14:19
Last Post: Vines
  Tigers ‘expect’ AFLW licence in 2019 Ned 0 160 22-05-2017, 21:12
Last Post: Ned
  2014 Player Countdown Jools 280 10,774 25-03-2014, 12:16
Last Post: Gimme
  2013 Player Countdown Claw 35 1,683 18-03-2013, 16:04
Last Post: duncan