Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JLT Preseason 2019 Preview
With only a few hors to go before the Tigers’ JLT opener, I thought I’d have a look at our list and identify some of my points of interest.

The Tigers kick off the JLT series against Melbourne at Deakin Reserve in Shepparton on March 3 – you can by tickets to the match here. We then take on Hawthorn on March 9 at UTAS Stadium in Launceston – you can buy tickets to the match here.

As with previous years, I’m looking forward to seeing the new Tigers and our Rookies get a run in these games. Obviously, Tom Lynch won’t be running around but there are many others that I’m looking to show why they should line up in our Round 1 team to play Carlton.

Rookies Townsend, Chol, Baker should play both games and while Towner proved his worth in the latter part of the 2017 season, I want to see if he has rediscovered the competiveness and tackling pressure that made him a critical part of our 2017 Premiership team. I’m looking for some improved in Chol and will be interested to see if he is one of those players earmarked for some games as our relief ruck. Baker needs to show some consistency and has to nail those shots at goal.

I’m also expecting that the other rookies, Maverick Weller, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, and Jake Aarts will also both play both JLT matches with Weller a possibility to line up against the Blues in Round 1.
Players who have been on our list in previous years: Shai Bolton, Oleg Markov, Callum Moore, Connor Menedue, Noah Balta, Callum Coleman-Jones, Ryan Garthwaite, Patrick Naish, Ben Miller, and Ivan Soldo must make the most of their game-time during the JLT series. I’m looking at Bolton, Markov, Moore, Balta, Naish, Garthwaite, and maybe Coleman-Jones as having an opportunity to play themselves into the senior side.

I really want to see how the “newbies” Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner, and Luke English perform. While I don’t really expect any of these first year players to make the senior side in the first half of the year, I’m going to see what they have to offer and hope they show enough to be considered at some point.

Who will lift their game to a new level or cement their spot from those players were regulars in season 2018? I think that Brandon Ellis, Nathan Broad, and Jack Graham are under serious pressure to hold onto their senior places in 2019. When you also consider that we need to fit Lynch into the 22, one of the forwards will need to step aside or find a new role. This to me will either see one of Dan Butler or Jason Castagna missing out or Josh Caddy getting more time as an on-baller. 

In my mind, there are 4 places up for grabs in the senior team for Round 1: Ellis, Broad, Graham, and Conca (traded to Freo). Tom Lynch has one of them, who will fill the other 3 spots? Or is there someone else who is on shakey ground? Let’s get the discussion started!
Cheers!

Please don’t PM me with help issues as I won’t respond. Use the Help & Suggestions Forum.
2018 - Fighting Tiger Fund Patron
2018 - Official Richmond Cheer Squad Member
The loss of depth was a worry, but looking at the JLT game now, it looks like Weller is going to be ok, Balta needs to learn about ruckwork but is a good mark and looks to have the ability and Collier-Dawkins looks promising. Martin had a hyper extension to his right knee, still rubbing it at half time in the rooms.
No.8 Dick Clay 213g(1966-76), Michael Roach 200g 607goals(1977-89), Alan Geddes 182g 1925-43), Robert Carew 45g(1919-22), Jack Riewoldt 225*g 537*goals(2007-)
I didn't see the game but looked at the highlights , stats and some reviews

Overall seemed positive

Qne thing that stuck out for me , give players at this level any time and space and they will hurt you
Both sides in the finals last year and expected to do similar this year
The highlights and stats seem to suggest both sides are ready for rnd 1

Houli has been our standout from the intraclub and jlt 1
Now very seasoned , and having an injury free start to the year
It sounded like he and short will make our backline very potent when moving from defence into attack
But no doubt opposition clubs will try to put more pressure on them

Balta had a bolter , have to see if he can back it up

Ross looks like in contention for rnd 1
RCD maybe not , but he may be given a slight reprieve given first outing and the heat

Anyone want.ch on Foxtel ?
I feel the need , The need for SPEED
Balta just got better as the game went on.
Melbourne were missing Gawn, Jones and a couple of others.
Martin kicked a couple of goals after the knee scare so should be right.
Cotchin was rested in the 2nd half.
No.8 Dick Clay 213g(1966-76), Michael Roach 200g 607goals(1977-89), Alan Geddes 182g 1925-43), Robert Carew 45g(1919-22), Jack Riewoldt 225*g 537*goals(2007-)
Toby played forward quite a bit, allowing Soldo and Balta to ruck. Worked nicely for Toby, kicking 3 goals, and I thought the other two gave Pruess a bit of a hiding.
RCD did one really nice thing but moving in the open, he looked like a foal taking its first steps...
Ross could play senior footy this year - good poise.

I reckon if you're at the game it would have been obvious to see that some younger players were given opportunities in spots that senior blokes will occupy round one.

Hawks are apparently bringing a few back in that didn't play JLT1. I will try to give an 'at the ground' analysis of the game on Sunday morning...although it kind of feels like the 4 or 5 of us are talking to ourselves a bit here.
Watched most games for at least a half and thought our game was the better standard even though we fumbled a lot. When we hit our straps we looked a million dollars.

Everyone is raving about Balta and rightly so. Hopefully it was the first impressive display of many many more and not a Poloesq first game performance

Like what RCD brought. Not afraid to clip in. However needs to build his body and game in the VFL.

Rance was huge as per normal.

New rules did not stop the free kick count being heavily in favour of the opposition
2017 Advocate for the Rising Star Jack Graham
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. Ronald Dahl 1978
(04-03-2019, 15:07)Vines Wrote: .......       ...although it kind of feels like the 4 or 5 of us are talking to ourselves a bit here.

Am reading when I get the chance. Appreciate all the input and contributions. Got a little on at the moment. Will contribute a little more in the season.

Watched 2 quarters last night. Kick straight and we win bg 40. Score flattered them. We looked good at our stuff. And we are fast, very fast.

(05-03-2019, 10:21)Gracie Wrote: Watched most games for at least a half and thought our game was the better standard even though we fumbled a lot. When we hit our straps we looked a million dollars.

Everyone is raving about Balta and rightly so. Hopefully it was the first impressive display of many many more and not a Poloesq first game 

Agree when we played on our terms the Dees were hapless. That will have some scouts worried.

Balta was great. I am thinking he will be great fun to watch this season.

Ohh and Daniel is back. The opposition should be scared.
''Since that day as a very young boy staring out enraptured between MCG bodies I have known it always has been and always will be about the club.''
Yes Daniel was very good and looks like he can go to another level. Good for us scary for opposition. A couple of small touches under pressure to get himself clear then afterburners on and he was away. Just love his work ethic.

Jack Ross did not look out of place and Hardwick had him minding Oliver in the center bounces. Oliver and Brayshaw were too good that time but in a couple of seasons Ross will be a strong midfielder. Wonder if he can do a Higgins and play most of the season?

Houli was good running from half back. The 6-6-6 might work in his favour.
geez round 1 seems like its a long way off :-(
I feel the need , The need for SPEED
only 16 days Chook

Will go by in the blink of an eye

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 Player Countdown Gracie 92 2,023 4 hours ago
Last Post: ceehook