2017 Trade Talk

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
That is my concern. I wonder if part of the Pick swaps was a commitment from the clubs involved not to select Naish.
They were saying bris wanted 15 to ensure they get Ballenden who is their academy player and tipped to go 15-25ish
198cm and replaced Schache in NEAFL granny
Bris want to make sure no on else swoops on him before their pick 20 so thats why they did the deal is the word.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I doubt it
I think its just media dribble with Naish being only father son that they are trying to create a story that isnt there
he will go with 25 i think
If he goes past 25 the next three draft picks are held by interstate clubs leaving Melbourne at 29. Would fit perfectly into the two 50s pick values

Barrel

Recruit
Oct 2, 2005
I don't get the 3rd round swap with Geelong?

If we expect Naish to be bid on somewhere before 25, then why do we need the cats 3rd rounder? Does this mean the club believes Niash won't be bid on before any of our first 3 picks and we will use both our 3rd rounder points for Niash? @Gracie ? Does 53 and 55 make up the points for Naish if he's bid on from 26 onwards?

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I don't get the 3rd round swap with Geelong?

If we expect Naish to be bid on somewhere before 25, then why do we need the cats 3rd rounder? Does this mean the club believes Niash won't be bid on before any of our first 3 picks and we will use both our 3rd rounder points for Niash? @Gracie ? Does 53 and 55 make up the points for Naish if he's bid on from 26 onwards?
The value of Picks 53 and 55 combined with the set discount added gives enough points to match a bid at 30 or later.

The swap with Geelong was required to cover all bases.

Seems like the plan is to get Naish plus two talls and upgrade Soldo and Castagna. We need 5 changes to the list for that to happen. Yarren, Maric, Morris, Elton and Hunt are the 5.

If we are going to use any later picks we need to trim others.

Mr Babilla

Listed Player
Sep 14, 2007
The value of Picks 53 and 55 combined with the set discount added gives enough points to match a bid at 30 or later.

The swap with Geelong was required to cover all bases.

Seems like the plan is to get Naish plus two talls and upgrade Soldo and Castagna. We need 5 changes to the list for that to happen. Yarren, Maric, Morris, Elton and Hunt are the 5.

If we are going to use any later picks we need to trim others.
Nicely explained Gracie.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
We have 3 picks in the top 25.

Only Brisbane has better than that with 1, 15, 18

west Coast is close with 13, 21, 26

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Premiership team. 3 picks inside the top 25 is excellent!!! I wondered how we’d deal ourselves back into the second round and hoped it wouldn’t be Lloyd or Miles to do it. Not because I don’t want them to have opportunities at the highest level but just from a culture and depth point of view I guess.

Now, let’s nail those picks!

Graeme Bowman

Recruit
May 18, 2012
So if we have it in mind to pick up a mature state-league version of Nank or Riewoldt, could that occur during the pre-season or rookie draft? Or are some of these guys available during the national draft on Nov 24?

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
So if we have it in mind to pick up a mature state-league version of Nank or Riewoldt, could that occur during the pre-season or rookie draft? Or are some of these guys available during the national draft on Nov 24?
If they’re available in the rookie or pre-season drafts, it’s because they were overlooked in the national draft.

Aug 8, 2007
Also reckon we have entered into an arrangement with the Lions whereby they have agreed not to select Naish with Pick 18 as part of the Pick swap.

If they take Ballenden @ 15 (which is their desire and the reason they negotiated the swap) then that effectively takes 15,17,18 & 20 out of play for Naish. Interstate clubs also hold picks 11-14 which is a bonus !!!

Pick 25 is worth 756 points which grossed up for the discount equates to 945 points. This will allow us to match West Coast's offer should they decide to select Naish @ 21.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
My perfect draft would be Oscar Allen ,Naish andToby Wooler a 193cm 90 kg key forward from oakleigh chargers,he's a good mark decent kick,and great endurance,he's also very good at ground level with tackling pressure acts etc.
I would also like to get Brandon Starcevich 187cm 88kg midfield/forward/back man from Wa ,he's a real competitor no matter what position he play's ,strong in the air and has decent skills.

Barrel

Recruit
Oct 2, 2005
My perfect draft would be Oscar Allen ,Naish andToby Wooler a 193cm 90 kg key forward from oakleigh chargers,he's a good mark decent kick,and great endurance,he's also very good at ground level with tackling pressure acts etc.
I would also like to get Brandon Starcevich 187cm 88kg midfield/forward/back man from Wa ,he's a real competitor no matter what position he play's ,strong in the air and has decent skills.
Thoughs on Aiden Bonar Col?

Aug 8, 2007
No arguments from me.
Hopefully we can snare Allen @ 17.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
I like what they have done, it looks like we will preserve picks 17 and 20 as long as there is no bid on Naish before 9.
From pick 9 we would give up picks 25,53 and 55.
From pick 13 we would give up picks 25 and 53
From pick 14, it's picks 25 and 55
From pick 20, which is ours we would only give up pick 25
You would have to select him at 25 regardless, picks 53 and 55 can only cover from pick 34 upwards

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I like what they have done, it looks like we will preserve picks 17 and 20 as long as there is no bid on Naish before 9.
From pick 9 we would give up picks 25,53 and 55.
From pick 13 we would give up picks 25 and 53
From pick 14, it's picks 25 and 55
From pick 20, which is ours we would only give up pick 25
You would have to select him at 25 regardless, picks 53 and 55 can only cover from pick 34 upwards
No You have to use your picks in order.

If a bid comes before 17 then we must use 17 first and the 20 and then 25 until we have met the required points

Barrel

Recruit
Oct 2, 2005
It's a ridiculous system. Just make it like it used to be, you can take any eligible father-son selections with your last pick. Easy. Every club will get their turn over time, except maybe GC or Brisbane because no one stays there long enough :D. At the very least make it that if a bid is made you use your next pick and move on.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Thoughs on Aiden Bonar Col?
He looks talented very strong over head,and quick off the mark,also adds pressure in the forward line,at 190cm he looks a third forward or back man,lm not sure on his endurance because of his injuries over the last couple of years,but he could end up a wing man
Clubs must like him to be invited to the combine,but he's a tough one to say what round he will go.

Here's the Draft points table.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I can't believe that. I must be missing something - how old is he?
29 years old 15 March next year.

Of his 5300ish possessions about one third of them are contested and has 5 contested marks in the last three seasons from 212 marks.

So he does not really solve their inside mid problem

They would have been better placed picking an inside mid at #10 and giving us #16 for 26 yr old (next year) Miles