2019 AFL Trade and Draft Thread

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
I would like us to take a kp with one of our picks ,but we do have Balta,Miller,Garth,and Chol in the Vfl.
My favorites around our pick are Rantall and Sharp,Rantall is a real competitor really good inside,but also can break out of pack's and link up,reminds me a bit like Matt Crouch,except Rantall probably has a better outside game at this age level.

Sharp from Wa l thought had a really good u18 champs,maybe more a outside player,but can get the inside ball,and is very strong overhead for 187 cm and is a athlete
According to Twomey we have spoken to Trent Rivers ,l thought he was ok at the champs ,really good ball user ,and probably more a flanker type .
We should be able to pick up a couple of decent player's ,it's not a bad draft very very open .
I agree with Tiger hardwick ,Jekka would be a good pick up with one of our 2nd-3rd round picks,put him in the Vfl for a season to develop ,he is very strong overhead,might make a decent kp back.

Gary buckenara said in a article we should be looking at a Ruck to develop l agree,and we might be able to get a reasonable one within our first 4 picks...

Heres Twomey https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-20/cal-twomeys-2019-phantom-form-guide-november-update

Reactions: Jools and HKTiger

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Draft day ,,,Twoomey has Cooper stephens a inside 188 cm mid coming to us,l sort of doubt it,we got Ross ,Dawkins and English last year,l really like Rantall a 184 mid with elite endurance,,but l guess we will find out later,our pick is quite wide open and also depends on who falls down the order.

I really hope Brock Smith a 188 cm defender is still around at our later picks,love this guy,he's great one on one,and is a straight ahead type,tough as a cats heado_O.
Other's for later picks Dyson Hilder a 196 cm kp defender from SA ,,reads the play really well,and strong overhead .
Karl Finlay another SA defender 192 cm,has a bit of the Grimes style about him,can play on talls and smalls.
Jai Jackson is probably one that fits our type ,a 185 cm forward who is very creative ,and reads the play well,he also has a good tackling average,and decent contested ball winning.
Jack Mahony a 176cm mid,,great ball winner,he does all the good stuff,wins contested ball,tackles,and is a good user of the ball,,he trained with us at the start of the year...
Their are quite a few decent player's around at our picks,we should do all right

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
If i have to have a guess at our first pick it will be Trent Rivers
WA boy plays mostly back flank and good skills but needs to work on his tank

I would think ideal Houli replacement
and rumour is we flew him out from perth to meet with us a week or so ago, I doubt you would do that unless really keen and he is tipped to go around the mark of our first, i guess it would be if someone else slid down the order would change those plans like Higgins and Dawkins did.

Dimatron

Recruit
Aug 5, 2019
Kergunyah
Thoughts on Thomas Dow? Wasn't even in my consideration for our 1st pick. There were a few good ones left on the board. What is the knock Devon Robertson? I was very surprised he was still available.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Thoughts on Thomas Dow? Wasn't even in my consideration for our 1st pick. There were a few good ones left on the board. What is the knock Devon Robertson? I was very surprised he was still available.
His skills are shit apparently which is why being overlooked by everyone

Dow - interesting choice as good chance he may have been there for our 2nd pick
Time will tell now if a genius move or another jump the gun like Conca

We seem to pick guys who suit our club now rather than skill or position

Dimatron

Recruit
Aug 5, 2019
Kergunyah
His skills are shit apparently which is why being overlooked by everyone

Dow - interesting choice as good chance he may have been there for our 2nd pick
Time will tell now if a genius move or another jump the gun like Conca

We seem to pick guys who suit our club now rather than skill or position
Yeah I was thinking Dow may have been there at our next pick. Be interested if they try to trade up to grab another kid in the 20s or early 30s. True seems to be the richmond man theme. Culture has been a huge part of our success so I guess they know more than me. I knew RCD was raw and bit of a slow burn. I wasn't impressed till the vfl grand final. He stood up on the big stage. I'm hoping the younger Dow brother is a gun.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Their was always going to be a few around our pick,l wouldn't of taken him at our pick,but lot's of upside to Dow.
He wouldn't of done a lot of training with Bendigo being at school in Geelong,he does have a good turn of pace,and get's the contested ball.

It will be interesting to see how he goes in the Vfl next year,,still quite a bit of talent available.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I read on another site its twice now Silvagni has up traded to get that pick in front of us
Last year we were keen on Stocker and they did it to nab him

This year they did it to take Sam Philp, i wonder if we were into him or we fed the blues some lies and they took the bait.
Our little area were pissing themselves laughing alot during our 5 min selection period.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Twomey had him 30-45, his highlight package looks ok.
Perhaps this was a bit of payback on Carlton to get the brother of one of their players.
Looked like a call was made to Dimma to get his thoughts on a few surprises that were left available at out first pick(21)

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Twomey had him 30-45, his highlight package looks ok.
Perhaps this was a bit of payback on Carlton to get the brother of one of their players.
Looked like a call was made to Dimma to get his thoughts on a few surprises that were left available at out first pick(21)
Their next pick is 45 so we have 3 before them so could have taken him with one of those so i would say we just really rate the kid.

Dimatron

Recruit
Aug 5, 2019
Kergunyah
Interesting. Don't mind the types we took. All look like they could all have huge upside. Loved the run and carry of the qld boys. Pace and tackles suit our game.

Reactions: herky

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
It was strange swapping pick 45 for 46 from Collingwood, just allowed them to get Bianco who was the best of the overlooked players at that stage.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
It was strange swapping pick 45 for 46 from Collingwood, just allowed them to get Bianco who was the best of the overlooked players at that stage.
It happened a few times with clubs
I guess the club with higher pick does ask who are you taking or if not then we are undecided on 2 blokes and that helps decide
So then we get one of the kids we wanted plus move up in the 2nd round next year well because we are much better than pies

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Their next pick is 45 so we have 3 before them so could have taken him with one of those so i would say we just really rate the kid.
The club visited him at home last week. Matthew Clarke said they did rate him highly.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Well that draft was a bit left field with the academy player's we took.
Cumberland is a good pick up,l bet the Lions are annoyed,he is the most likely to play senior footy in 2020,Martyn is skill full he's dual sided be interesting to see how he goes in 2020
Ralphsmith is well rated ,l must admit he didn't really stand out in the games l seen of him,l think he will take a season or 2.
Biggie is far more advanced than Chol or Daw was at this age ,so hopefully goes on and has a great career .

My guess we will be going tall next year,to me Balta has to hold down a kp spot in the Vfl ,and under the pump are Garth,Tosh, and Miller, If Pickett has a good year in 2020,l would expect the Dockers to come knocking,he will want a contract to see his career out .

2020 Draft we will most likely take Junior Rioli,and a strong chance to take Ethan Baxter a kp defender from the Bushranger's through our NGA academy,l guess it all depends on how he improves .

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I liked the look of Biggie in his highlights, good leap for slightly shorter ruckman but moves around like a mid and tackles and can kick long goals.

Cumberland and Martyn also look really good and will play senior footy next year I think

Dow I think will take a year or 2 but looks promising

Ralphsmith im not sure about even in his highlights he ran the wrong way :D
Think id have taken Bianco there but history will tell

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Im just hoping we can get Jackson Callow a kp forward from Tassie next year,reminds me of Jack .

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Speed endurance and more speed is our recruiting mantra. Helps if they are decent licks and decent individuals.

Also great we can take our time with these kids and develop them the way we want. Like RCD and Turner this year