AFL Men 2020 Round 1 v Carlton

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It’s on - Gil just said so!
In: Stack, Graham
Out: Houli (injured), Ellis (traded)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vosstiger

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Really interested to see how the shorter quarters affect us and what adjustments we make.

With interchanges still the same the players will be full of running for the whole game.

Also hoping Jack Graham has a blinder.

Reactions: Vosstiger and Jools

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I’m happy they are playing, if they Miraculously get in the 17 game season it would prob come down to who keeps their best 22-24 on the ground all season because with no reserves how do those guys keep their match fitness to keep up with the regular 22

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Dominant first half. Carlton not providing much pressure and they appear a little tentative.

Jack doing well with 3 goals, George and Bolton with 2 each. Prestia has 12 disposals and is our top from Martin and Lambert on 10 disposals.

Prestia is a tackling machine with 5 so far.

Happy with the start for to the season, but need to keep going.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Discipline was lacking from lots of players at different times tonight. 18 up with 3 or 4 to play, Jack directly in front from 50....what. The. Heck??????? He would not want to do that nonsense against a good team.

that was a firstor second gear performance from most of them. Lynch got a bath from Weitering.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
Not impressed with the umpires handing out soft free kicks to Carlton in front of goal. The highlights reel only shows 6 Carlton goals, 2 of them from frees. I think Dimma said they had 8 from frees. Yes, we were undisciplined for some , but really???!?

Reactions: Anduril

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Discipline was lacking from lots of players at different times tonight. 18 up with 3 or 4 to play, Jack directly in front from 50....what. The. Heck??????? He would not want to do that nonsense against a good team.

that was a firstor second gear performance from most of them. Lynch got a bath from Weitering.
Weitering played very well. Maybe he should be our backline replacement for Rance

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Think Nank and Jack G ill benefit from the match practice.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Think Nank and Jack G ill benefit from the match practice.
I was worried when it looked like Graham was 'carrying' that shoulder again, but it wasn't mentioned in commentary or the presser.

I've had more than one person tell me today they reckon the clubs have been told there will only be one round played - something about the way the players interacted after the game on the ground, and then in the richmond rooms.

Soldo is developing nicely but the chemistry with our mids is largely missing with his ruckwork. It will come. He's a beauty.

What a luxury having guys like Stack/Bolton/Rioli/Castagna and Pickett who really don't need much of the footy to have an impact. LOVED Baker's game.

I'm still not over Jack's brain explosion late in the fourth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only things I remember from hearing the players through the effects mic:
1. Someone yelling "GET IN" on Bolton's left foot ripper goal
2. An oppo player yelling "NOT 15" to a player about to take a mark off a short kick......the umpire paid it, the player looked to play on for a split second.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
I was happy to see a game. TV ratings well up, any wonder! Channel 7 didn't go to ads after every goal.

If any player tests positive from hereon in, the competition will be called off for 30 days.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
The vic teams we play we will field reserves teams against theirs in a locked down stadium

we had a 14 v 14 match against Carlton yesterday
Other teams want to follow suit so I’d say the vic teams will band together and do this each week to get fitness and form into the guys missing out

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
The signs are positive for our tilt at back to back flags in a season where world governments are causing so much unneccessary global chaos that it beggars belief. There would've been 90,000 at the game last nite and I wouldve been able to buy a scrap of food at the supermarket had the world bodies decided to isolate the only demographic affected by coronavirus , that being the sick and the old , instead of shutting down the entire planet , but I digress...

Our tilt for back to back flags has begun with a very familiar feel about it to 2017 & 2019

• Kick Carlton's arse in Round 1 = TICK
  • Win comfortably despite a lopsided free kick count against us = TICK
  • Win despite the oppsition being gifted 75% of their score from absolute charities 15 meters out , dead in front = TICK
  • Pick up the paper the following day to see that some idiot journo has awarded the 3 votes to some hack from the opposition = TICK

10 consecutive victories against Carlton now , and they haven't beaten us since that final back in 2013.

Good response Tiges ! And since that game ..

FINALS APPEARANCES -
- RICHMOND 5 - CARLTON 0
TOP 4 FINISHES -- RICHMOND 3 - CARLTON 0
BOTTOM 4 FINISHES -- CARLTON 4 ( + 5th bottom in 2016 ) - RICHMOND 0
PREMIERSHIPS -- RICHMOND 2 - CARLTON 0
WOODEN SPOONS -- CARLTON 2 - RICHMOND 0

And that my friends , is a beautiful thing !

So tune in to SEN at 5pm in December or January on Grand Final day so that you can listen to Anthony Hudson screaming out...

'THIRTEEEEN !! ...Those Mighty Tigers have won flag number THIRTEEEEN !!'

Reactions: Coach