AFL Men AFL 2019 GRAND FINAL - RICHMOND vs GWS

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Who were your top 3 tigers on the day?

• Martin

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Houli

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Prestia

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Pickett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Castagna

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Edwards

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Cotchin

• Soldo

• Lynch

• Riewoldt

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Cracking last qtr in pies and gws

They will bring in Whitfield and Greene
Deledio and Coniglio 50/50

Davis is not right

Broad most likely for us
Graham in some doubt

Cmon Tigersssss

Last edited by a moderator:

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
Deja vu?
In 1980 at the end of the H&A we finish 3rd to Geelong
We win our QF by 42 points (2019 - 47)
We beat Geelong by 24 points to make the Grand Final (2019 - 19)
Collingwood win one game by a huge margin and 2 games by less than a kick including the PF to make the Grand Final
We belt Collingwood by 80 points in the GF

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
So, with GWS making it, does this potentially give us Priority 2 members a greater chance of getting a ticket? I presume that GWS wouldn't have had huge numbers register for GF tickets. I also presume that anything left over from their 20,000 allocation, goes to us.

Can anyone shed any light on this one??

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I see GWS using similar tactics as Geelong did in the first half of the game - a measured , hold and wait till an option presents and hit up that target , coz it's common knowledge that you don't wanna turn it over against us or you'll pay dearly.

So there'll be plenty of short kicks to maintain possession before pulling the trigger once forward of centre.

And GWS have better foot skills than Geelong , so should be able to execute that plan better than Geelong did.

But here's the thing , it takes real coolness and strong discipline to maintain that game style when the serious heat gets applied ( and we will crank it up at some point ) and that's what broke Geelong down.

Once we turned the heat up , their whole kicking to position game went out the window. They panicked and started turning it over by hand and bombing it long by foot...and we said 'thank you very much !'

Now , even though GWS may be more skilled than the Cats , I don't believe that they're mentally stronger.

Giants by name , but mental midgets by nature

They , along with their structures , will fall to pieces when we seriously bring it and start hurting them on the scoreboard , just as they did in the final quarter against Collingwood.

So my prediction is that we are going to wipe the floor with them !

Tiges by 58 points.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
The other thing the Giants have that the Cats don’t have is a tagger. De Boer will hard tag and swap depending on our rotations.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
The other thing the Giants have that the Cats don’t have is a tagger. De Boer will hard tag and swap depending on our rotations.

I’m fine for someone to run straight through DeBoer and miss the round 1 Carlton clash o_O
It’s Dusty he will try focus on again but Dusty should just be moved forward and snag 5

Reactions: Black

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
We have 4 ins from the round 17 clash with them when we won by 27

Out - Chol, Egg-Smith, Stack, McIntosh

In- Nankervis, Caddy, Baker, Graham

Graham in doubt and I think Ross, Pickett or Stack will be his replacement

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
So, with GWS making it, does this potentially give us Priority 2 members a greater chance of getting a ticket? I presume that GWS wouldn't have had huge numbers register for GF tickets. I also presume that anything left over from their 20,000 allocation, goes to us.

Can anyone shed any light on this one??

GWS have 30k members as of last month
I’d say with their finals run they prob sold a couple thousand more

Each team gets allocated 17k each so I’d think they’d easily sell their quota if fans are happy to come down to watch it
If they don’t I’m sure the afl would snatch them up and dish out to corporate rather than let tigers have them

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
GWS have 30k members as of last month
I’d say with their finals run they prob sold a couple thousand more

Each team gets allocated 17k each so I’d think they’d easily sell their quota if fans are happy to come down to watch it
If they don’t I’m sure the afl would snatch them up and dish out to corporate rather than let tigers have them
Thankfully, since my post, I have been lucky enough to score a ticket (Yesssss), but it looks like my son (Priority 3) has missed out. I wonder if GWS members had to register for a GF ticket like we did. If so, I can't imagine any more than a few thousand would have done this. I am tipping there would be no registering up there and tickets will be available for their members tomorrow.

Apr 8, 2010
Great weekend. I love GWS’ style. Pies were ordinary.

To provide an alternative view, I believe the GF is going to be closer than we think. GWS have our same belief, won’t fear us as they have played us a lot and know our play pretty well (also inside knowledge helps). They mirror us in a lot of ways this year.

I think our biggest issue will be their 3 key forwards. They towelled us up in Sydney with that strength and didn’t have it in the return bout. Cameron is back to his best - Finlayson makes a difference. Broad will have to play as our other alternatives are Garthwaite or Balta (nervous). It’s the one game we really miss Rance I reckon.

Our strength to counter is our experience in big games and ability to play 4 quarters. Tigers by 10.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
GWS have our same belief, won’t fear us as they have played us a lot and know our play pretty well (also inside knowledge helps). They mirror us in a lot of ways this year.
They shouldn’t have inside knowledge as Deledio left before we incorporated this new style, if he had known we were changing it he would have stayed.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
Thankfully, since my post, I have been lucky enough to score a ticket (Yesssss), but it looks like my son (Priority 3) has missed out. I wonder if GWS members had to register for a GF ticket like we did. If so, I can't imagine any more than a few thousand would have done this. I am tipping there would be no registering up there and tickets will be available for their members tomorrow.
I have access to 3 Priority 3 memberships and my credit card got pinged yesterday. Bride (second GF) and daughters (First GF) going, I'll be in the MCC.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
I have received the email and they are standing room only, leave the high heels at home girls.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
In Buckleys post match he said "they were desperate for longer"
and I think that is key , they have nothing to lose , they will go hard
we are $1.35 favs , its supposed to be in the bag for us so all we can do is lose the premiership

I can see Mummy trying to smash as many players as he can , is he playing next year ? does it matter if he gets 4 weeks or 8 weeks ?

De Boer will be after our key mids and get their minds off the job , he is good at his craft , if he gets our guys trying to relalerate it could change the momentum of the game , the umps will look after the underdog provided they don't go too dirty

Green knows he will attract a lot of attention and he flops with the change of a gentle breeze

that said I think Nank can engage Mummy and sap some of his strength and then its Soldo's turn to be tapping to advantage
don't underestimate Mummy he is a capable ruck and play an important role for GWS

We have a enough good mids for De Boer to not be a worry and we go to who ever is free

If we can get the game on our terms for any length of time it will be a massacre

if we don't it could be a repeat of the GWS Pies game , a real slug fest

I wait nervously

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Soldo and Nank can handle themselves and protect others...
Also, although De Boer is now an excellent tagger, he isn't dirty. It's Green and his bizarre scratchy tactics that we need to control. Not because he hurts you physically, but because it's designed to milk a cheap free kick or worse, put us off our game psychologically.

Reactions: Vosstiger

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
It’s quite simple
Harden up tiges
If Mumford starts throwing his weight or anything else around then Nank you follow suit and show it’s not happening
If DeBoer does go dirty tactics someone take one for the team and sit him on his arse so he doesn’t get up or will be worried about doing what he was doing
If Greene does those tactics to anyone’s face then retaliate and knock him out, the AFL know he does it now

They will come out hard and dirty as they know it’s the only way to beat us, we will get the frees but we must also show we won’t put up with it and give it right back to them
It’s a shame Stack isn’t playing I’m sure a few well timed hip and shoulders would have 2-3 of them on the bench for the game

Don’t be intimidated tiges

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Nup. Play hard but if we get sucked in like Chol did, it will cost us goals.
And don’t stand up to it end up with nothing like the dogs did if you expect the 3 morons officiating to do too much right

Hopefully GWS play footy and not try be physical

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
GWS will definitely bring their physical game that worked against the Bulldogs. It will be a provocation fest, trying to put us off our game, because everyone knows that when Richmond plays the Richmond way, it's game over.

Expect to see them target players who they think can be put off with intense physicality, they will tag two of our onballers as they did against Collingwood, likely Dusty and Prestia.

It's going to be interesting to see how this contest goes.

I suspect GWS have run their race, aka Collingwood in 1980.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
If Mumford starts throwing his weight or anything else around then Nank you follow suit and show it’s not happening
Mumford is the worst player in the AFL and wouldn't be playing if GWS had any other option at all.

I see the rucks as an area we can gain a massive advantage over them and it'll be a huge factor in us winning.