AFL Men AFL 2019 GRAND FINAL - RICHMOND vs GWS

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women AFL Men
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges) Seven
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights) Selections
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels) Available
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Who were your top 3 tigers on the day?

• Martin

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Houli

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Prestia

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Pickett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Castagna

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Edwards

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Cotchin

• Soldo

• Lynch

• Riewoldt

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I answered a Twitter survey yesterday asking "Who should replace Jack Graham?" with four options......Ross, KMac, Pickett and Stack.

I chose Pickett, because he'd be my choice, just to see who most supporters voted for.

The figures were roughly Ross a clear favourite with 62%, Pickett third on 16%, not far behind 2nd in percentage terms. Stack was last with 4%

It seems everyone is on board since the club announced the bombshell decision today.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Not sure whether I like it or not to be honest ?

Feels like now is neither the time for romance , nor the time to get cute , but apparently it was the coach's call , so we just gotta trust in that decision for now I guess ?

One way or the other it'll be a talking point post game.

If we lose and he doesn't get near it then they're gonna come hard for us , and they'd be well within their rights to do that.

Hopefully he does a few nice things in a solid victory.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
With Marlion I reckon it's all Mind games; this is just a curve ball for GWS.
BTW all my non-Richmond friends are hoping for a great grand final (ie an even contest)
I remind them a great grand final is Tigers up by 4 goals at quarter time; 8 at half time; 12 at 3/4 time; and 80 points at full time

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
GWS are just about the only team in the AFL with a tagging aspect to their game plan, with De Boer and I think Perryman given a negating job on the 2 best attacking on ballers.

Pickett is an attacking player, a very effective one, and also a goal kicker and a great mark. One could argue that Ross is attacking too, but his poor disposal by foot limits his effectiveness, and his kicking for goal, I don't think he's kicked one in the VFL.

I'm wondering whether we are loading up our attacking options in choosing Pickett, to minimise the prospect of GWS shutting us down.

Beveridge seems scarred still from their bruising encounter early in the finals, he thinks we have not been tested with such "MMA" tactics yet, and is not sure we can handle it.

Makes for an interesting GF build up.

Broadsword

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2009
I like the inclusion. All the excitement was with the Giants where Richmond was "been here before." This will excite the group, especially if he gets a goal early. Now it's a first for us too and that energy will spread through the group. There's a fairytale angle for us now. Start him forward.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I think the choice came from what we are thinking

Are we going to be up for a very physical challenge with lots of contested ball then we bring in Ross or

Are we confident enough that it will be played on our terms and we will run and attack and run them ragged hence enter Pickett

So obviously we feel we have this and it will be played our way

Pickett can play halfback releasing Edwards onball or Baker up forward.
He could play wing and lets Caddy move forward if need be
He can play half forward
He can have stints in middle

He brings a lot more options for us to try if things aren’t working to swing things around
Ross doesn’t as he can only play in the middle

Dry day so I like his inclusion and us backing ourselves it will be played our way

justmike

Listed Player
Jul 25, 2005
I like the selection.

I was worried about the way GWS play, with their "MMA" tactics, but then I realised Hardwick is our coach, and he is well aware of it, and he knows how to handle it.

I also remembered the awesome shove Dusty gave to Dangerfield after being in his ear for half the game, we came out the next half and won.

I think GWS will be poking the Tiger, if you will, poke it and see what happens.

Man, THE NERVES!!! WHO IS NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT HAHA?

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Kitted up!
I’m watching at home with the kids this year. Put all my financial eggs in the prelim basket and can’t wait for 2.30pm.

I think we will win the game with our defenders shutting down the Giants key forwards. If our midfielders break even enough, we have the firepower to kick a winning score. If our mids get belted, we are in trouble.
I also strongly believe the experience 2017-18 plus the overwhelming majority of support in the crowd will be crucial to victory.

Tigers by 4 goals after 3 tight quarters where there might not be much in it.

Reactions: Broadsword

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I’m on my way to the G now. How many other members are going today?

Reactions: Broadsword

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I like how close this team represents the club song now, every line so fitting, even the line "in any weather you will see us with a grin", we play well in any weather and have fun doing so.

I thought the Pickett selection was a good ballsy move when I first heard it, but I did not think he'd nearly win a Norm Smith........Amazing!!!

We are now officially a great team, achieving sustained success and multiple premierships.

Considering we have Rance, Graham and Stack to return, and given the excellent culture at the club, no reason we can't win a few more.

Reactions: herky and Vosstiger

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The official voting for the 2019 Norm Smith Medal.

15 - Dustin Martin, Richmond - 33333
6 - Bachar Houli, Richmond - 222
4 - Marlion Pickett, Richmond - 211
3 - Jack Riewoldt, Richmond - 111
2 - Dion Prestia, Richmond - 2

Judges voting – 3 2 1.
Alastair Lynch (Chair) – D. Martin, B. Houli, J. Riewoldt.
Chris Johnson – D. Martin, D. Prestia, J. Riewoldt.
Matthew Lloyd – D. Martin, B. Houli, M. Pickett.
Bruce McAvaney – D. Martin, B. Houli, M. Pickett
Angela Pippos – D. Martin, M. Pickett, J. Riewoldt

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
…and Premiership Cup #12 is in the bank !

F**king beautiful ! We absolutely obliterated them !

2 flags from 3 years of being the best team in the comp ? Yep , I'll take that.

All and sundry were saying it was gonna be a close game , and I was genuinely surprised at how many so-called experts tipped GWS ?

They should've considered this >>

We were $1.35 favorites for a reason !

We were playing against a team who finished 6th on the ladder and we were on an 11 game win streak coming into the game , including wins against West Coast , Collingwood , Brisbane ( twice ) Geelong...and GWS.

There's your top 5 teams right there. Average winning margin was 5 goals , with only Geelong keeping it under 27 points.

AND... the game was being played at the MCG , which just happens to be our home ground and a virtual fortress for us these days.

AND...GWS has never beaten us at the G....EVER !

Now if that ain't a Premiership formline and the recipe for a spanking , then I've never seen one ?

Last edited:

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I was correct when predicting the gamestyle GWS would use against us , and also in predicting that it would unravel under our pressure.

I was also correct when I stated this >>

Giants by name , but mental midgets by nature

And this >>

So my prediction is that we are going to wipe the floor with them !

However , those exceptionally astute insights could never atone for the shameful and embarassing prediction I also made on Y&B.

So I just wanted to sincerely apologise to everyone for my appalling lack of faith.

Tiges by 58 Pts

Not even close !