AFL Men AFL 2019 GRAND FINAL - RICHMOND vs GWS

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women AFL Men
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges) Seven
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights) Selections
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels) Available
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Who were your top 3 tigers on the day?

• Martin

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Houli

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Prestia

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Pickett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Castagna

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Edwards

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Cotchin

• Soldo

• Lynch

• Riewoldt

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
From half time in the PF, we outscored opposition 25.20 to 5.11. We allowed 16 scoring shots in 6 quarters of finals footy.

Our 3 2nd half's of the finals yielded 29.16 to 8.12. We ruined a perfectly good finals series.

No apologies. Go Tiges!!!

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Stood all day with the daughters inside gate 3 on the inside fence.
Gaspar and David Bourke sat in front of us, acted like excited kids when Dusty kicked the dribble goal and at other stages.
Saw Andruil on the big screen for Kiss cam! :)

Loved the win, my first Grand Final attendance!

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
In 3 years, 2 Premierships and one emphatic minor premiership, the undisputed best team in the comp since August 2017.

Add our VFL top of the laddder finishes and premiership, 103,000 members, make that the undisputed best and biggest club in the land.

herky

Rookie
Aug 25, 2016
The Ruthless Tigers of old have appeared and made sure they put the ROOT right back into ROOTHLESS !!! What an absolute demolition of the team that supports one of their gun players to be an eye gouger. Poetic Justice. No room for that in AFL at all. Had a glorious afternoon in the Forrest Pub watching this game unfold. Plenty of great beer too! Life is really swell. Thank You to all involved in the Richmond Football Club.

Reactions: Broadsword

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Astbury would be feeling the sting of the highs and lows of sport hey ?

In a flawless first half performance , he not only kept his overhyped opponent goalless , but owned him so badly that he goes in at halftime completely f***ing statless !

Statless lol ! Not a one ! Nothing ! Nought , nada , zilch , nichte , zero , f**k all ! ...not a single solitary possession !

Unfortunately it all went south from there for Astbury.

He had a meltdown ! Completely dropped his guard and lost all concentration , allowing Finlayson to inexplicably get a possession , which immediately thrust him into Norm Smith contention.

His match stats were - 1 kick , zero handballs , zero goals.

I haven't seen a replay of his possession as yet , and I'm sure that in time I'll find the courage to watch it , but it's just too raw right now.

It's bewildering to me that Astbury wasn't even in the All-Australian conversation ?

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
The Soldo / Nankervis experiment was a resounding success in the finals.

Here are the ruck stats from the GF -

SOLDO/NANKERVIS - 42 H/OUTS - 24 DISPOSALS - 9 MARKS - 5 CLEARANCES - 5 TACKLES - 1 GOAL - 1 BEHIND
SHANE MUMFORD - .15 H/OUTS - 10 DISPOSALS - 0 MARKS - 2 CLEARANCES - 1 TACKLE - 0 GOALS - 0 BEHINDS.

And wasn't it sweet when the worst player in the AFL played a starring role in a pivotal moment of the game when Cotchin dragged him down in a tackle and then proceeded to push Mumford's face in so hard that he'll be struggling to snort anything for at least a week.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I’ve read a few player ratings and reckon some of them are really harsh so here’s mine:
1. Vlastuin - 8.5. An assured performance and it seemed at times that every time the Giants launched forward the big red was there to intercept. 12 marks. Insanity that he wasn’t AA this year.
2. Grimes - 7. currently the game’s best defender and held the game’s best forward to 1 goal. Only outmarked that one time for the whole game. His game was summed up for me when in the last quarter he fairly ran through Williams. No quit in this bloke.
3. Prestia - 7.5. When the game was hot, he was hotter. 2 votes in the NS medal and had to deal with De Boer for long periods. His ball use was again excellent. Loves the big stage does Dion.
4. Martin - 9.5. Sums up the contest quicker than anyone I’ve ever seen. Dominated early, then did his work forward. Three insanely quality goals and kicked our first of the day which was really important to give the team reward for dominance. It was a precession after that. I love the way he talks about his coaches, teammates, Peggy and Brendon, and HIS club.
5. Ellis - 6. Quietish day on the wing in what will be his last game for the club. He’s a funny one sometimes - he goes as hard as anyone in one contest, then looks like he shirks the next one. Used the ball well by foot for the most part.
6. Grigg - 9.5. Underplayed is his role in getting Pickett to the club. Selfless. And I read he did a lot of rehab with Pickett as well.
8. Jack - 9.5. Was most people’s choice for second or third best player on the day and was great value for it. Set shots from 50 are worth gold in big games and he delivered again. Marked well, led strong and finished his work.
9. Cotch - 7. Great at the coalface. Seemed to spend big chunks of the game at HF and forced quite a few poor kicks with insane pressure. We leapt when he kicked his goal only ruined by bruce saying it was his first goal in a final in 6 years. UM. THE BEST TIGER GOAL IVE EVER SEEN WAS COTCH IN THE 2017 QF.
10. Edwards - 8. What a player. He is bloody fantastic. I love Shedda. His hands were creative, he smashed bodies (hello Hopper), his kicking was excellent. Gun.
11. Castagna -8. Most pundits got this one right. He was a straight right boot away from the NS. As it was, he didn’t get a vote. 6 shots from a small forward is awesome, and his work rate, his dash, and his confidence to take the game on was the best I’ve seen from him. A great game, until the sticks loomed in front of him. 0.5 ouch.
12. Astbury - 8.5. If it wasn’t Vlastuin it was Astbury. Phenomenal to hold an opponent to one cheap third quarter disposal (which was high up on the wing...).
13. Get well Jack
14. Houli - 9. How much does Bachar love a GF?!! Was his usual hard running and deadly kicking self. Second in the NS again and something he should back on with pride.
15. Short - 8. Got his medal. Kept his small forward opponent’s goalless and provided run, dash and creative use by foot.
17. Rioli - 7.5. Got his GF goal (was a bloody ripper!) and a nice touch saluting his cuz. Awesome pressure and set up Dusty with a creative handball. He also found lots of space between 50-90 and delivered it well.
18. A number one draft pick will return in 2020. That’s exciting.
19. Lynch - 8.5. Repaid the faith in spades. Clunked his first mark down the line and I reckon it spooked Taylor a bit. Two great goals (and one bizarre shank) but he straightens us up and is a born leader.
22. Caddy - 7. Bobbed up all over the place highlighting a huge tank. He also takes on the role of chief mouthy prick by the looks of it. I don’t always like the look but I acknowledge that you need a bit of mongrel around the place.
23. Lambert - 7. Two uncharacteristic errors in a row in the second were the only bolt on his copybook in what was another solid GF performance. I’m assuming he’s running laps at Punt rd Oval as I type, such is his dedication to getting everything out of himself.
25. Nankervis - 8. Jumped over the ageing Mummy and clunked some characteristic marks helping back in defence. Would’ve loved him to nail his goal on the run. I’m super proud of him.
29. Bolton - 6.5. I liked his game actually. Is elusive and makes defenders nervous. Bobbed up for a goal as well (a set shot...wow!).
34. I don’t reckon many Tiger fans will talk about the GF without mentioning Jack Graham.
35. Broad - 5.5. Started well and didn’t have a great deal to do deep in defence. Himmelberg worked him hard up the ground and actually played pretty well so he probably ranked the lowest of all Tigers for mine. But not a criticism of his work.
47. Soldo- 8. His work around the stoppages was strong and he too clunked a couple ripper marks. Rewarded with an excellent set shot goal.
48. Baker - 7. He’s a ripper this kid. Hard, clean and not overawed by anything. Myers gave him a bath early in the prelim, and Baker smashed him for two and half quarters. That takes guts. His GF was solid. Didn’t find much space but his work in close was important.
50. Pickett - 9. First game and votes in the NS. Made his pursuers look slow. I wondered if the step up in pace would find him out after watching the VFL GF last weekend by he went up another gear. Slick, smooth, clean. A better footy story you will not read.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Stood all day with the daughters inside gate 3 on the inside fence.
Gaspar and David Bourke sat in front of us, acted like excited kids when Dusty kicked the dribble goal and at other stages.
Saw Andruil on the big screen for Kiss cam! :)

Loved the win, my first Grand Final attendance!
Ha! Well spotted!
Astbury would be feeling the sting of the highs and lows of sport hey ?

In a flawless first half performance , he not only kept his overhyped opponent goalless , but owned him so badly that he goes in at halftime completely f***ing statless !

Statless lol ! Not a one ! Nothing ! Nought , nada , zilch , nichte , zero , f**k all ! ...not a single solitary possession !

Unfortunately it all went south from there for Astbury.

He had a meltdown ! Completely dropped his guard and lost all concentration , allowing Finlayson to inexplicably get a possession , which immediately thrust him into Norm Smith contention.

His match stats were - 1 kick , zero handballs , zero goals.

I haven't seen a replay of his possession as yet , and I'm sure that in time I'll find the courage to watch it , but it's just too raw right now.

It's bewildering to me that Astbury wasn't even in the All-Australian conversation ?
Absolute GOLD!!!!

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Considering GS only went inside 50 on 40 occasions , it's staggering to think that Vlastuin , Grimes and Astbury took a combined total of 30 marks.

Vlastuin works up the ground a bit , but generally the three of them are our last pillars of defence.

Combining for 30 marks from only 40 GWS I/50s means that when Vlastuin , Grimes or Astbury weren't taking the intercept mark themselves , they were presenting as a link in the chain of our sling-shot rebound.

And if you throw in the combined total of 18 marks taken by Houli , Broad and Short , then you're looking at almost 50 marks taken by our back 6 alone.

Thems crazy stats ! We just annihilated GWS everywhere !

Reactions: Vosstiger

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
So I have the tea leaves in front of me , have slipped into my pshycic outfit ( think Paul Hogan's Great Luigi ) and now I'll give y'all a live rundown of my Nostradumbarse vision for GWS...

Hommmmm...I'm seeing a camp in their not too distant future... somewhere in QLD maybe ?

I see them on a bus trip...pity they can't ! lol

Now I'm having a vision...of the numbers 24 and 7 , whilst simultaneously I'm hearing audio...and I like it !

What is that ? Oh wait ! Of course , it's the Tiger theme song ! "Oh were from Tigerland , a fighting fury we're from Tiger ".....Oops sorry , where was I ?

So what could it all mean ? A blind bus trip to QLD , the Tiger theme song...and 24/7 ?

Fracturing , disunity and disharmony ? Coach eventually sacked and captain left a broken man perhaps ?

Let's hope so.

• Haha
Reactions: herky

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Great stuff everyone! I haven't been here for a few days because I was going to get to everything I could this time around. So it was training on Friday, followed by the Grand Final parade and the presentation on stage. Cotch took his hand off the cup last again!

Saturday, we went along to the Longest Kick on the banks of the Yarra. Met up with my brothers and nephews who later watched from the Live Site. Then to the MCG, where we were in M35, next to the GWS cheer squad. Must say, the loudest roar attempt didn't work, they should have waited for Marlion Picketts goal if they wanted to break records. Pre game was ok, love Paul Kelly, didn't really know the others. I thought the Anthem sounded fine at the ground. Maureen Hafey was last to take her hand off the cup too.

The Game - well covered by others. High fives all around for every goal during the game. Wish I'd seen you on Kiss Cam @Anduril ! We were only 13 rows from the front but so many people came down it was a little hard to see much on the boundary. Did get some shots. Loved Maureens fist pump.

We stayed for the after party, Dean Lewis was quite good then. We were near the players race at the side of the stage so had a good view of the presentations, fireworks and all. Then off to Swan Street. There was a party on the roof of the bike store on Punt Road. Swan Street was packed, hard to move. We got to Lennox Street and stayed there for a while, then figured there probably wasn't any way the police would get a bus down there with the players on board. Saw one Giants fan arrested, people having to pour out their drinks, one flare set off (idiots!), and the Darth Vader busker with a great crowd around who unmasked himself. I retweeted a photo of that to Mark Hamill and he liked it! Home and watched the replay.

Sunday, back again to Punt Road for Family Day. The VFL team and then the AFL team presented. Peggy O'Neal terrific speech. Then we were off to the MCG again for Open Day. Got a photo on the Tiger logo, then went through the Richmond change rooms and explored the MCC rooms. Heading back to Jolimont, got a photo of KB's statue with a Tiger scarf around his neck. Then to watch the replay again as well as the other 2 finals.

So that was my long weekend! What a ride! I've been on holidays this month, went to Brisbane, loved beating Geelong. Back to work later this week to gloat ;)

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
In 2017 i thought long and hard about the finals MOMENT that won us the flag and I reckon it was the Astbury kick to Dusty/Tom Stewart in the QF which Dusty turned into a 90m play to Jack, to Dion....

This year, I’m giving to our bloody beautiful, selfless skipper for his tackle on Rhys Stanley early in the third quarter of the PF. Sets the tone for a barnstorming comeback.

We were always gonna beat GWS/ADEL in 2017.
And we were always gonna beat BRIS/GWS in 2019...

So critical moments against Geelong, a long time nemesis for us, won us the 11th/12th cups.

Love to hear what you all think was THE critical moment of the finals series for us.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Love to hear what you all think was THE critical moment of the finals series for us.
Reckon you've probably nailed it mate ?

Thought his tackle on Mumford and the subsequent instantaneous assault on Mumford's rude pill by Cotch , Prestia and every other Tiger in the vicinity was symbolic of our mindset.

And I'm sure there must've been an important moment early in the 2nd qtr of the Brisbane game ? Coz we were under enormous pressure for the entire 1st qtr of that game.

Tactically speaking , shifting Edwards into the guts to start the 3rd qtr of that game was the pivotal coaching moment of the finals.

In the GF , not so much a pivotal moment , but when Rioli kicked that goal on the quarter time siren , a sudden calmness came over me.

Don't get me wrong , I wasn't celebrating with champagne whilst singing the theme song or anything.

I can't really explain it ? I just felt like... ' ok that's it , we're away. We'll be right now '..If that makes sense ?

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
went along to the Longest Kick on the banks of the Yarra.

How'd you go Jools ?

Did you go with the torp , or the safety of a drop punt ?

Wish I'd seen you on Kiss Cam @Anduril

What the hell ? What did I miss ? Did Andi get busted pashing someone by KissCam ?

There was a party on the roof of the bike store on Punt Road.

Oh there's no party like a bike store rooftop party Jools. Put it on your bucket list.

Great cocktails available. Try a ' Penny Farthing' or 'The Dragstar' next time you go.

Saw one Giants fan arrested,

For impersonating a real football supporter ?

Number of GWS supporters = 6
Number of GWS supporters arrested = 1

So it must've been Toby Greene's old man you saw ? Typically courageous act by a member of the Greene family , headbutting a policewoman.

Lucky Toby wasn't there to help or she would've had no eyeballs left in her head either.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
How'd you go Jools ?

Did you go with the torp , or the safety of a drop punt ?
Haha, I'd pull both hammys if I attempted anything!

For impersonating a real football supporter ?

Number of GWS supporters = 6
Number of GWS supporters arrested = 1

So it must've been Toby Greene's old man you saw ? Typically courageous act by a member of the Greene family , headbutting a policewoman.
Nah, this was in Lennox Street just off Swan. The other was at the MCG. Felt sorry for Toby actually, he's had nothing to do with his dad for years.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I had 2 pivotal moments in the finals series - both involving our Captain.

Prelim final - second quarter. Cotch and Ablett contest the ball on centre wing. Cotch wins the ball and make Gazza look silly
Grand Final - second quarter. Cotch tackles an in motion (couldn't bring myself to call it running) Mumford. 85kgs v 100-and-plenty....stops him in his tracks and takes him to the ground. Inspirational stuff!

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Haha, I'd pull both hammys if I attempted anything!

Ha !

So we won't be seeing you immortalised in bronze , Taylor Harris style , on the banks of the Yarra anytime soon then Jools ?

Nah, this was in Lennox Street just off Swan.

Well it's his own stupid fault then for thumbing his nose at the numerous signs erected in Lennox and Swan St by the Tiger Army...err I mean the Melb City Council during the week.

NO GWSlg.jpg

Reactions: Jools

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Prelim final - second quarter. Cotch and Ablett contest the ball on centre wing. Cotch wins the ball and make Gazza look silly
A most excellent call by His Excellence right there !

How good was that moment !

Pure luck has the camera in a perfect spot , making the contest appear up close and personal , which only serves to magnifiy to a million viewers that Cotch just wants it more. He clearly goes harder and then uses his freaky ball skills to totally school Ablett.

Then , as the camera follows Cotch gaining possession and streaming forward , you can see Ablett in the background , his shiny head bowed in shame , still on his knees and still facing the opposite direction after being turned inside out.

It was a thing of beauty !

Last edited:

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
3 VERY important questions:
When does the winners DVD box set come out?
When do the Richmond Draught Premiers 2019 slabs come out?
When does Peter Dickson’s wonderful GF mini-docu come out?

Last edited: