What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Crows here
  • AFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 13. View the stats totals here.

VFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 11. View the stats totals here.

Sorry for the formatting - I'm working with the developer to fix this :(

AFL bans Richmond cheer squad member for ‘green maggot’ umpire slur

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The move comes as the AFL seeks to crack down on poor fan behaviour.

As reported in the Herald Sun, senior figures in the cheer squad disseminated memos to its members warning of bans if they criticise umpires or players.

“The football field is the umpire’s place of work and it is seen that any abuse directed towards them or any on-field official is deemed as workplace bullying and will not be tolerated,’’ the memo said.

The ban comes after the AFL sent Carlton a “please explain” afters is cheer squad called an umpire a “w***er”.

In light of that incident, AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson intimated the league would look to penalise fans over umpire abuse.

“I think the AFL has opened one ear because I reckon the mob won’t listen,” Robinson said.

“I think what the AFL might do — I don’t know if they will do this — they cannot control the crowd, but they will fine clubs.”

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I really wonder what’s going on with the game if this is now unacceptable.

I also wonder what will happen next time one our esteemed site members yells out about “green geese”? :D

Bones

Rookie
Aug 8, 2016
I reckon this started with the banning of members for stupid internet posts. Once the punishers and straighteners get geed up, they always overreach.