Birthday/Calendar

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

BigTigerCasey

Recruit
Feb 5, 2008
[MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION], will you be creating the Today's birthday highlight on the front page?

I was looking to see if you can configure "home" pages, because the alternative would be to place the Calendar on the front page, but I can't see how to manage this.

Cheers

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I have to admit that it hadn't crossed my mind. I'll see if I can put a Birthday widget on the homepage.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I've created a birthday widget which will appear on the top left hand side of the homepage when there is a birthday on that day. Will have to wait until March 9 to make sure it works :)

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
I've created a birthday widget which will appear on the top left hand side of the homepage when there is a birthday on that day. Will have to wait until March 9 to make sure it works :)
Well that's a good day to start it on! :)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It's confirmed, I really am invisible.

Transparency!
Ms Tantie.
xox
Sorry [MENTION=5678]Ms Tantie[/MENTION] I'm sure that your birthday wasn't there when I posted that! Your birthday will be first. How could I forget that date - it's the same as my son's!

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
Sorry for my ignorance but where can you add your details to the birthday list? I'm happy to put myself on there.
Just go into your profile and add your birthday details in. It should be automatic after that as long as you don't specifically tell the software to keep your details private.

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
Hmm, It's not self explanatory.

Don't use the My Profile link at the top, use the Settings link instead.

Then scroll down and use the Edit Profile link on the left hand side.

It should then become obvious. :confused:

As long as you don't select Hide Age and Date of birth you should be included in the birthdays.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I've just installed a plug-in that I hope will enhance the Birthday experience.

From today, you will no longer receive a birthday e-mail from Yellow and Black but will receive a birthday Private Message and a Forum post in your honour. I have limited this to include only those people who have posted at least once in the 365 days prior to their birthday.

I'll leave this open until such time as there have been some birthdays so I can see if this works as intended.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The automated schedule that drives the Birthday PM and Thread appears to not want to work! I've had to run it manually each day :(

I'll investigate this further with developer to see what can be done.

Assuming I can get it to run automatically, is it worth keeping? Let me know.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Damn, I was relying on it to tell me birthdays instead of checking myself.

I think it's worth it if it works. Should we merge them into one thread a day or so after the birthday?

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
Damn, I was relying on it to tell me birthdays instead of checking myself.

I think it's worth it if it works. Should we merge them into one thread a day or so after the birthday?
I was thinking that we could have a separate Birthdays forum possibly as a sub-forum under member chit chat, so the birthday threads don't clutter up member chit chat.

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
I like it, and the recognition can mean a lot to some people.

Is there a way to filter out those who have scarcely ever posted though? It may already be being done.

Stellar!
Ms Tantie.
xox

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
So I'll ask again - are we doing away with the birthday thread that Duncan started?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I was thinking that we could have a separate Birthdays forum possibly as a sub-forum under member chit chat, so the birthday threads don't clutter up member chit chat.
Good idea!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I like it, and the recognition can mean a lot to some people.

Is there a way to filter out those who have scarcely ever posted though? It may already be being done.
I have set it to only include those members who have posted within the past 365 days.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
So I'll ask again - are we doing away with the birthday thread that Duncan started?
Undecided at this stage.
Yes, I'm still undecided. I'm currently running the add-in as a trial however, if I can sort out the automation of it I'll be happier to take it out of trial.
[MENTION=5462]Gimme[/MENTION] would you prefer to retain the thread in preference to the new add-in? If we end up adopting this method, the old thread will be closed.