Birthday/Calendar

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
Not for me to say, Neddles.

I was under the impression that the idea of The biggest birthday thread ever seen was to cut down on the number of new topics created for each time a birthday came up.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I was under the impression that the idea of The biggest birthday thread ever seen was to cut down on the number of new topics created for each time a birthday came up.
I think it was a compromise towards my general dislike for birthday threads which proved to be an unpopular stance. :)

If the site is to recognise birthdays as people seem to want, I'll try and standardise the new thread as much as possible. As such, this automated PM and new thread seems to address all of the requirements.

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
Must admit I didn't like the individual threads before duncan's biggest birthday thread (BBT), mainly because of clutter, but once they disappeared I felt somewhat underwhelmed by the BBT and have been pleased to see the individual threads back.

I do find it a bit awkward if a thread comes up for a poster who made an account within the last year and posted maybe once. Can you make the rule, "Posted in the last 12 months AND passed the probation period". If they have passed probation then chances are we will at least know who they are. You could put it in the probation period section of the site rules so new posters can see why they may have been apparently forgotten and not feel bad about it.

BigTigerCasey

Recruit
Feb 5, 2008
I think it was a compromise towards my general dislike for birthday threads which proved to be an unpopular stance. :)

If the site is to recognise birthdays as people seem to want, I'll try and standardise the new thread as much as possible. As such, this automated PM and new thread seems to address all of the requirements.
What an interesting conundrum. I must admit I was not fond of the BBT when it first started, but now I am quite fond of it, and sort of feel the individual threads a bit cluttery.

Given users like to keep throwing requirements that become increasingly exotic (and quixotic - clearly not mutually exclusive :D), could you post the new birthday wishes to the BBT?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Must admit I didn't like the individual threads before duncan's biggest birthday thread (BBT), mainly because of clutter, but once they disappeared I felt somewhat underwhelmed by the BBT and have been pleased to see the individual threads back.

I do find it a bit awkward if a thread comes up for a poster who made an account within the last year and posted maybe once. Can you make the rule, "Posted in the last 12 months AND passed the probation period". If they have passed probation then chances are we will at least know who they are. You could put it in the probation period section of the site rules so new posters can see why they may have been apparently forgotten and not feel bad about it.
Good point. I've excluded those members with less than 20 posts.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
What an interesting conundrum. I must admit I was not fond of the BBT when it first started, but now I am quite fond of it, and sort of feel the individual threads a bit cluttery.

Given users like to keep throwing requirements that become increasingly exotic (and quixotic - clearly not mutually exclusive :D), could you post the new birthday wishes to the BBT?
Unfortunately, my only choice with this plug-in is whether to create a new thread or not. It does not give me the option of appending to an existing thread.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Unfortunately, my only choice with this plug-in is whether to create a new thread or not. It does not give me the option of appending to an existing thread.
Can we merge the threads ourselves once they're posted?
Or maybe have a subforum like RROFO suggested?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Can we merge the threads ourselves once they're posted?
Or maybe have a subforum like RROFO suggested?
I've already created the subforum and moved the birthday threads into it.

We could merge the threads however, it's going to require extra effort to do so - albeit not much, but some effort all the same.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
The subforum should be fine, no point merging them there.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
If it's more work for [MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] I say not worth it. If automated then definitely.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It's hard to believe that there isn't a native plug-in or widget that will allow a list of birthdays on the front page!

The only way I can think of to achieve this is to go 'back to the future'. Some of you may recall that we once used a portal add-in on the vBulletin forum software. This portal add-in was called vbAdvanced and allowed a number of widgets - including "Today's Birthdays" to appear on the site.

I've attached an image which shows this widget on the right-hand margin of the vbAdvanced homepage.

Adding this plug-in would not only allow me to add different widgets to the left and/or right margins of the homepage, but would allow me to display the same widgets on every page of the site. This can't currently be done as the software had different widgets for the CMS and the Forum....go figure; it's meant to be integrated!!! :banghead:

Thoughts?

View attachment 9831

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
Yes, it's funny (as in funnily annoying) that each system seems to have something that is not compatible with use on another system.

I have the homepage of Y&B up on my favourites bar and I find it handy to quickly run my eye down the LH margin before I do anything else and with the old system it was also easy to pick up birthdays, etc, in the RH margin. I do use the "calendar" facility up above but it is not as immediately evident if there are numerous birthdays on the same day.

Appreciate the effort you put in Neddly.

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
It seems to do what is says on the box.

The way you have sold it Ned, there doesn't appear to be any downside to vbAdvanced. Is there a downside?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Yes, it's funny (as in funnily annoying) that each system seems to have something that is not compatible with use on another system.
I find it frustrating to the extreme!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It seems to do what is says on the box.

The way you have sold it Ned, there doesn't appear to be any downside to vbAdvanced. Is there a downside?
The only downside is keeping up with any security updates to the plug-in, so not much really. I guess from a user perspective, it would be yet another change of look for the site but hopefully one for the better.

RROFO

Recruit
Dec 26, 2007
The only downside is keeping up with any security updates to the plug-in, so not much really. I guess from a user perspective, it would be yet another change of look for the site but hopefully one for the better.
Sounds good to me, but I'm probably not the best to ask since I really like change.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
I don't mind change. If we didn't change we would actually go backwards. (See Vossy is trying to be cleverer :) )