What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Eagles here
  • UPDATED August 14!

AFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 21 game versus Carlton. View the stats totals here.

VFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 20 game versus Northern Blues. View the stats totals here.

VFL Women - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 13 versus Carlton. View the stats totals here.

• The current ladder positions of our teams are:

AFL Men: 4th ⇨

VFL Men: 1st ⇨

VFL Women: 3rd ⇨

Blake Caracella

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Blake will depart Richmond at the end of the year, he has been HUGE for our club
He and Leppitsch, I hope Hardwick has learnt something from Blake and continues it on

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for your time Blake. Now time for us to move on to the next new wave game plan while Essendon learn the old game plan.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Blake was a good assistant and we will no doubt replace him with someone else good. Assistant moving is good because we continue to get new fresh ideas

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Blake has been excellent for us - wish him the best of luck over there.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Brendon Bolton as an assistant with us next year given that Dimma rates him highly.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
The work of Dan Richardson apparently, whose only useful role at Essendon seems to be poaching former work mates from Richmond.

I think Caracella was somewhat over rated as an assistant coach, he's built his reputation at 2 great clubs, Richmond, his timing was impeccable joining Balme, and Geelong. So many elements went into Richmond's 2017 turn around, he was just a tiny part of that.

Essendon obviously splashed the cash to get him to break his contract with Richmond halfway through, I don't think he'll find significant on field improvement that simple there.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I think Caracella and Leppitsch were a HUGE part of our success, under Hardwick and co at the time we seemed to have no clue what we were doing, we had talent to make finals but choked every time and never any backup plan to get out of it during those 3 finals, just went with the same plan and were eliminated each year and crashed in 2016.
Then these 2 came in and taught the guys some things and bought in our new game plan with attacking at all costs footy with the small forwards running amok and it worked wonders for us.
Im pretty sure Caracella was bought into this club with him being told he would be our next senior coach when Hardwicks contract was up and if we were going nowhere, but unfortunately for him he and Leppa coming in did work wonders and we have been super strong ever since and getting Hardwick an extension along the way.
I think now with the extension and Hardwick not wanting to leave anytime soon and having a flag under HIS name he wont be shafted by our club and will walk when he wants and because of this Caracella doesnt want to sit around for 2,3, or 10 years for all we know.
The fact he is still contracted to us for next year and is leaving points to the above that he was doing it to be senior coach and now its not a chance with us so he is moving onto Essendon as Worsfold doesnt have much of an interest in it for a long period and will go next year or one after.
Id be shocked if Caracella isnt Essendon coach next year ( if they dont make finals this year ) or season 2021.

He is a HUGE loss to our club, he bought alot of knowledge with him which attributed to our success and players talk him up all the time, i even read Lambert giving him a wrap the other day and owes alot to him for making him a much better player since arriving.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Blake has been excellent for us - wish him the best of luck over there.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Brendon Bolton as an assistant with us next year given that Dimma rates him highly.
I wouldn't mind having Alan Richardson actually. Not his fault that St Kilda's list was not the best.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I wouldn't mind having Alan Richardson actually. Not his fault that St Kilda's list was not the best.

Hes was there for 6 years wasnt he ?
So it is partially his fault, he would say what he wants and give a yes to who is traded in or out.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I think Caracella and Leppitsch were a HUGE part of our success, under Hardwick and co at the time we seemed to have no clue what we were doing, we had talent to make finals but choked every time and never any backup plan to get out of it during those 3 finals, just went with the same plan and were eliminated each year and crashed in 2016.
Then these 2 came in and taught the guys some things and bought in our new game plan with attacking at all costs footy with the small forwards running amok and it worked wonders for us.
Im pretty sure Caracella was bought into this club with him being told he would be our next senior coach when Hardwicks contract was up and if we were going nowhere, but unfortunately for him he and Leppa coming in did work wonders and we have been super strong ever since and getting Hardwick an extension along the way.
I think now with the extension and Hardwick not wanting to leave anytime soon and having a flag under HIS name he wont be shafted by our club and will walk when he wants and because of this Caracella doesnt want to sit around for 2,3, or 10 years for all we know.
The fact he is still contracted to us for next year and is leaving points to the above that he was doing it to be senior coach and now its not a chance with us so he is moving onto Essendon as Worsfold doesnt have much of an interest in it for a long period and will go next year or one after.
Id be shocked if Caracella isnt Essendon coach next year ( if they dont make finals this year ) or season 2021.

He is a HUGE loss to our club, he bought alot of knowledge with him which attributed to our success and players talk him up all the time, i even read Lambert giving him a wrap the other day and owes alot to him for making him a much better player since arriving.
Decent post mate.

Truth is , we don't know for sure how much of our 2017 gamestyle was due to Caracella's input , but I assume he played a significant part in it ?

The sum of all things done off field at the end of 2016 contributed , but someone did something to our game which can only be described as staggering.

We played St.Kilda late in the 2016 season and I got home from my boys' footy at qtr time in that game. Turned the telly on and we were a goal or two down. Then , for the first time in my life as a tiger supporter I did something I never thought I'd do...turned the tv off and didn't bother watching our game.

The reason for that was because we had become unwatchable to me.

Our gamestyle was so bad that it was embarrassing and laughable -
Maintain possession at all costs , slow it down , never play on , chip along the boundary , never take a risk , chip it sideways and back , sideways and back again , hold it up , then go sideways again and turn it over...opposition waltzes into the open goal laughing.

It beggared belief that a team containing a Coleman medallist , a dual AA full back , Dusty , Cotch and Deledio could be the worst team in the AFL ( as we were by the end of 2016 )
Someone realised that , worked out how to maximise it , and the transformation netted us a goddamn premiership !

If the transformation of the gamestyle from a pitiful , pathetic and stagnant ineptness , to a surging , attacking and scintillating force was indeed Caracella's brainchild , then we'll see how it stands up at a club that doesn't have anyone the same calibre of Rance , Jack , Dusty , Cotch or Grimes to execute it.

If they get a flag in the next cupla years , then Caracella is undisputedly a guru of the highest order.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I’ve seen Hardwick take credit for the 2017 game style. Following his soul searching trip to the USA in 2016, he stopped micro managing the players, encouraged them to play to their strengths instead of focussing on fixing their weakness's, and he noted we had a number of really quick players on our list before the 2017 season, for formulated a game style to exploit that.

Much of this seems to have been be learned from Beveridge in 2016, similar to Buckley and Collingwood in 2018 learning from Richmond’s 2017.

Lambert has credited Caracella for his big improvement in 2017, so he definitely had impact, and will be missed.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I’ve seen Hardwick take credit for the 2017 game style.
With due respect to our excellent Team Manager ( Dimma ) , I strongly doubt it.

The things you mentioned about Dimma's off season learnings are documented , but it's too far fetched for me to believe he concocted a polar opposite gamestyle for 2017.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Dimma's ability to create a winning game plan. I seem to remember that he was credited as being the architect of the game style that won the Hawks a premiership in 2008.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
With due respect to our excellent Team Manager ( Dimma ) , I strongly doubt it.

The things you mentioned about Dimma's off season learnings are documented , but it's too far fetched for me to believe he concocted a polar opposite gamestyle for 2017.
It was 100% Leppitsch’s idea to play the way we started doing in 2017 it’s been said many times and with Caracella implementing ball movement and working on certain guys games such as the lambert story we’ve been saying About

These 2 have been huge to our club and the way we play

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Dimma's ability to create a winning game plan. I seem to remember that he was credited as being the architect of the game style that won the Hawks a premiership in 2008.
His gamestyle got us into the finals a few times , so clearly he wasn't tactically inept.

However , I don't think he had the nous to take it much further than that after his fundamental gamestyle was exposed as being one which wouldn't hold up under finals pressure.

He seemed bereft of ideas on where to take it after those finals losses and the result was our 2016 season.

He's a great Team Manager though. The players obviously love him , he plays the tiger-hunting media like a harp , and has obviously found the right balance and angles to motivate the players on match day.

All great attributes and hey , he's a Tiger Immortal in my book.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
I thought our defense was strong in 2017,so you can add Ben Rutten to that list.
Then you can add the addition of Prestia,Nank,and Caddy,and in the later part of the year Townsend and Graham,they added extra physical pressure at the ball,and player

Also the emergence of Rioli,Butler,and George,and also the new fitness staff.

Last edited: