What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Crows here
  • AFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 13. View the stats totals here.

VFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 11. View the stats totals here.

Sorry for the formatting - I'm working with the developer to fix this :(

AFL Men Can Ivan Soldo make the AFL ruck his ?

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
With Toby Nankervis out for some weeks still to come
can the seemingly impossible happen , our favourite son in Nank , lose his spot in the top side ?

Nank hasn't been in the form he had in 2017/18
and while Ivan didn't excite supporters in 2018
he was new to the game then and has been rounding out his game in the VFL since, where he does look good

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
I’m not so sure it may take on a more horses for courses pick. Did you see the way that Dusty roved his taps it was quite amazing. Sometimes Nanks superior around the ground will be worth more, sometimes Soldo’s pure hit outs to advantage. Overall I think Nank gets the nod more often but not sure about all the time

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
for what they are worth Nank stats per game by season
Kicks Marks Hand balls Hit outs tackles
2017 7.75 3.08 7.05 24.70 4.04
2018 9.08 3.87 7.52 25.00 3.52
2019 7.63 2.63 6.5 21.25 3.50

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Ivan Soldo in 2017 (7 games )
Marks 1.7 , Kicks 3 , HB 3.1 , tackles 3.1 , hitouts 21

2019 (1 game)
M 2 K 5 HB 3 T 3 HT 35

lets see how he goes in just the next 2 weeks , V Goldy (who should be a good measuring stick) on Friday and v Geelong the week after

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
soldo V North
M 2 K 1 HB 3 T 7 HT 28

Goldstein got 28 hitouts as well , but I'd rate those and not the quality of Ivan's taps
Ivan battled hard but Goldy constantly out manoevered him all night ,
Ivan made 7 tackles

We really missed Nank on Friday night , just have to hope Ivan can step up to AFL quality next week

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Ivan did a couple of nice things around the ground. Problem is we need him to do 10 times that amount of work plus work the centre bounces harder - like Nank does.

On a pure development curve Soldo is progressing but I am not sure of what his ceiling will be.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
He looked a bit out of his depth and lacking in confidence at times - then it looked like someone just said "go for your marks" and he clunked a couple. I was surprised that he was out-rucked as often as he was....but even when he won the taps, we were second to the footy so North made it look worse than it was.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Lets see how he goes this week as he may have been feeling guilty

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I was on the fence re Soldo until Friday night. I was at the game, and he just was clueless about where to run to be a decent intercept mark behind play. To quote Jack Dyer, he was where the ball ain't mostly.

Considering he's been in the Richmond system for a few years now, he still doesn't know how to read the play, a trait that may be more innate than learnable.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Chol has had two decent games in a row at VFL level.
I’d like him to come in and share with Ivan for a week or two, as Caddy in the ruck is just a waste of a good player.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Caddy needs to go back to the forward line. You might hate this @Vines but broad needs to come back and release Balta back to second ruck. I see no point in playing Chol as most weeks he is below VFL and it’s an indictment that he suddenly plays 2 good games in a row. I don’t want a player who picks and chooses

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
From the bit I've seen of Chol, Soldo will be the better tap ruckman, Chol better around the ground.

Do we have much to lose playing him currently, possibly yes at the stoppages. Will that be offset by what he brings around the ground. Either way, promoting Chol involves considerable risk.

Your points about Caddy and Broad are valid imo.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Caddy needs to go back to the forward line. You might hate this @Vines but broad needs to come back and release Balta back to second ruck. I see no point in playing Chol as most weeks he is below VFL and it’s an indictment that he suddenly plays 2 good games in a row. I don’t want a player who picks and chooses
I wouldn't be too dismissive of Chol , if we think of the successes we have had with recruiting in recent years and note they have kept Chol on the list
He was in very good form before the broken foot at training and now seems to be hitting that sort of form again
My worry with Chol is he might compile a good highlights reel but the whole package would be lacking
and if Soldo is getting manhandled at boundary throw ins and ball ups what would have with a much lighter framed Chol ?
Tim English for the Bulldogs also has a light frame and is managing at AFL level.

So when to try Chol ? One his VFL form would have to continue , two the game not be a real danger/pivitol game.

Next up the Crows game in Adelaide , it will be a though contest , following the break are the Saints and the Gold Coast , so unless they sack their coach the week before they offer a much softer option to blood Chol and see if he is worth a contract in 2020

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Chol seems to have relished more time in the ruck.
Hard for me to make an informed judgement though as I haven’t seen anything other than highlights.

Don’t mind the Broad back, Balta ruck/forward idea @Vosstiger
Disappointing if the Broad/grog rumor is true. Of all the times we need all hands on deck...but again, it’s not been proven has it?

Garthwaite has played what, 7 or 8 games...for people to suggest he’s not up standard is pretty harsh. How many seasons did we wait for Rance to develop?

I like Higgins and think he will be a long term prospect but would it hurt for him to spend a month in the VFL and give Bolton/Turner a couple weeks each? Could be beneficial for all.

We are starting to look really young and him again. When I look at our team, it’s like the old days of little guys getting bumped around and off the ball too easily.

On the flip side Dusty has looked really good recently, Cotch makes a huge difference around the contests as he’s a battering ram, Houli is in career best form and Prestia has been back to his 17 finals series form of late.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Soldo disappointing. One week to the bye. Should we run with him for this week or try Chol?

Either way we are struggling. If Chol does not do anything then it is back to a not quite ready CCJ

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Soldo
2019 (3 games)
M 2 K 5 HB 3 T 3 HT 35
M 2 K 1 HB 3 T 7 HT 28
M 0 K 5 HB 2 T 7 HT 33

Nank avg
M 2.63 K 7.63 HB 6.6 T 3.5 HT 21.25

Ivan drew no praise from the supporters for the Geelong game despite having good tackles and hitout stats

What I'm finding disappointing is the way he is getting pushed and thrown around at contests , he is a big strong man
but clearly the VFL the opponents he's striking are other developing ruckmen
who don't have the pushing and unbalancing techniques that most AFL rucks do
Now he's not alone Max Gawn has made many opposition rucks look like chumps as he rag dolls them
it looks like he almost uses martial arts like moves

I would expect Ivan will play again this Thursday
he is getting hit outs but its the ones he doesn't get tend to be his opponent giving someone silver service taps

Most likely he'll come up against Reilly O'Brien
last week he went head to head with Mummy

Mummy won the taps 35 to 29
but O'Rielly was active around the ground 17 disposals to 9

Who do we pit against O'Brien ?