Collingwood fan claims police threatened to evict him from MCG for barracking too loud

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The Collingwood song famously says “the barrackers are shouting” - but that may now be an issue.

A Magpies fan has claimed to Fairfax Media that half a dozen police threatened to throw him out of the MCG for “barracking too loud”.

Simon Grech said he was approached by police after loudly celebrating a goal by Jordan de Goey during the Queen’s Birthday win over Melbourne.

He claims police said he was not swearing or abusing anyone, but was told by an officer, “do you hear what I said? You’re barracking too loud”.

“I want to to know whose orders are they acting on because it’s getting beyond a joke,” Mr Grech told The Age.

“I’m not at the ballet, I’m at the footy. I pay $1000 a year ... Why should the AFL take my money and then take away my right to support my team?

“For the whole second half I didn’t say boo. They used the words ‘unsociable barracking’ or something like that ... do they want us to wear seat belts now so we can’t jump up?

“You want me to start fairy-clapping? Are we at a cupcake contest?”

Grech said police told him Melbourne supporters had reported him to them.

The AFL has recently been cracking down on unsociable behaviour at matches.

foxsports.com.au

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
If this went down the way that the guy said, this could spell the end of people attending games in person. It would be ridiculous not to be able to barrack for your team - loudly or otherwise. If it's not offensive, surely there shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Vosstiger

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
That's the thing coach, someone may have found loud barracking offensive and complained to the PC police.. In that case you'll be told to tone it down or risk being banned from attending games.

The Geelong game will be the last one I attend for the foreseeable future. Will also terminate my AFL membership this season.

I've had a gut full of the AFL's ever increasing PC clamp down. Can't risk offending anyone at the footy any more, and who knows what someone will find offensive these days.

There is a big sign permanently on display at the G encouraging people to report anti social behaviour. This message was flashed on the scoreboard numerous times too. Calling umpires maggots or flogs now falls under anti social behaviour. As increasingly does booing. And banning a fan for 3 matches for calling an umpire a green maggot. Now our cheer squad report spotters stationed nearby watching for "anti social" behaviour. Looking more and more like North Korea.

Better to stay at home and yell what I like at the screen.

I hope the AFL pull their head in, because they are frantically trying to fix something that ain't broken...........yet.

This should probably go in the Rant thread :mad::)

Reactions: Vosstiger

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I was told to sit down by a fellow Tiger supporter, Round 1 v Carlton a few years back (Cousins' debut). I stood up to celebrate a goal. He told me it was gonna be a long night if I stood up every time we kicked a goal. Lucky for him, we got spanked by 80 something points so I guess he was happy.

• Haha
Reactions: Vosstiger and Coach

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
The AFL wont care until the money stops rolling in. Someone on Bigfooty needs to get all club supporters to boycott a round.

Only when we have a couple of thousand at each match will the AFL respond.

Cheer squads not go, not do the banner. Noone visit the AFL website for a week so their advertisers don't get the clicks

Even stop buying products from AFL sponsors.

Watch Herr Gil and Herr Hocking fall all over themselves when they don't have any $ to count

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I believe that Trout has suggested a fan boycott for Round 17 next year.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I think he was taking into account that many people have already booked airfares and tickets to matches for the remainder of this season.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
On the back of Joffa making it known that he wouldn't attend another game as a result of the recent 'non-crackdown' by the AFL on crowd behaviour, Trout has weighed in with his thoughts:

64C9D5DA-C481-4039-9DD8-D1B25B629A61.png

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Kudos to Joffa for taking a stand and many good points made by Trout.

The AFL have become too mercenary, too elitist, and rank and file fans, the bread and butter of the AFL, are being marginalised.

I hope many fans join in the boycott.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I hope the ones that are hurling unacceptable abuse also stay away. They are the reason the AFL has (not) cracked down on people they probably shouldn't have.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Now this is disturbing. A reporter working for Channel 7 tweets about her experience. Not looking forward to the game against the 'Aints at Marvel in a couple of weeks!

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 18.37.20.png