Coming Soon - Y & B Makeover

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
While watching the Grand Final replay - so far I've watched it 8 times and counting - I've given some thought to this website and have come to the conclusion that the site needs a new look befitting the reigning Premiership Team (still getting used to that) and:
  • Original content. I've tried this before with very limited success. I'm going to introduce incentives such as sharing advertising revenue with members who contribute articles. More about that once the new site is up and running
  • New forum software. Yes, I know that we've been through a few different forums. I've never apologised for this as tinkering with the software is what I do :) This time, I'm going back to Wordpress, but this time I'm going to use a forum native to that CMS - bbpress. bbpress does not have as many features as our current software but most site members don't use these bells and whistles. I want the new site to concentrate on content rather than anything else.
  • Any articles that are published will automatically create a new thread in the forum. Any comments/replies made to the article or the Forum Topic will be published to the forum and appear as comments on the Article and as replies to the Forum Post.
  • Enhanced ability to add emoticons (this will make @Black happy)
  • Better integration with Social Media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and the recently created Instagram account (@yellowandblackonline) where I intend to post match day and function photos
  • Rebranding the website as Yellow and Black Online
  • Lots of other stuff
I hope that you'll enjoy the new website. I don't have a go live date at the moment but am aiming for a date between the end of the Rookie Draft and Christmas Day. I'll make the date well known.

And now, here's a preview of the new look that I'm working on.....

[attachment=o11308]

The front page will contain more stories on launch :)

In the meantime, if anyone would like to contribute articles and be part of the advertising sharing on the new website, please send me an e-mail - coach@yellowandblack.com.au.

I'll post more updates as they happen.

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
Please make it less white than the sample? I love that I don't get flash-blinded by the current dark setup.

Otherwise happy tinkering (and WordPress wrestling). :)

RARRRR!
Ms Tantie.
xox

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Please make it less white than the sample? I love that I don't get flash-blinded by the current dark setup.

Otherwise happy tinkering (and WordPress wrestling). :)

RARRRR!
Ms Tantie.
xox
Hard to see in the screenshot, but the background isn’t white. It’s actuallu the same colour as the text here.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Enhanced ability to add emoticons (this will make @Black happy)

Absolutely !

Bring on the new Y&B forum...The deluxe Premiership edition !

New forum software. Yes, I know that we've been through a few different forums. I've never apologised for this as tinkering with the software is what I do :)

Haha !

:D

[attachment=o11309]

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Reworked the homepage - the banner still needs some work :)

[attachment=o11311]

iTiger59

Rookie
Feb 9, 2014
If possible would be great to keep the stats that are listed in left margin and rep points etc...

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
If possible would be great to keep the stats that are listed in left margin and rep points etc...
The number of posts (messages, replies, whatever you want to call them) is able to be migrated, the other stats (Likes, Trophy Points) are software specific so won't be migrated or used.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
The number of posts (messages, replies, whatever you want to call them) is able to be migrated, the other stats (Likes, Trophy Points) are software specific so won't be migrated or used.
WHAT??????

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I have made an executive decision (as @Black says, "It's good to be King :) ) and ditched bbPress as the forum. I have been working on adding many plug-ins to enhance the functionality, but it will mean maintaining many, many third-party plugins. This has the potential to be an administrative nightmare for me.

Instead, I have taken a different route and am now working with a forum that is full of features - many enhancements over what we currently have. It's going to be a new look rather than the traditional "Forum Look" that you see here. To get an idea of the format you can visit https://meta.discourse.org/. This will still work hand in hand with Wordpress as that will provide the CMS side of the website.

I'm currently working towards a move in mid-December which will allow us discuss the Pre-Season and Rookie draft before the site gets closed for half a day while everything is moved to the new software. I'll be on leave soon thereafter so will have an opportunity to tweak the configuration and the look and feel after we go live.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I have made an executive decision (as @Black says, "It's good to be King :) )

Yeeeessss haha ! ...that's the spirit Ned !

You gotta adopt the same philosophy used by The Mighty Tiges during Grand Final week....

Don't fight it , just embrace it ! :D

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Every few days, I am going to provide some information about the new forum software so that you can become familiar with it before we go live in mid-December.

Today, I want to introduce you all to one of the users, Discobot. The new forum software will allow all users to interact with a bot called Discobot.

Discobot is a natural extension of our original, static welcome PM. However, Discobot is much more than a greeter; it also offers to interactively “play” the Discourse game with each new visitor.

The goal here is to teach people Discourse by inviting them use Discourse, interactively replying to a PM in the same way you’d reply to a real person. If you’re curious about how it works, create a temporary account at try.discourse.org and give it a shot live. Why require people to read a boring old wall of text when they could try their hand at replying to a real PM topic in Discourse instead? Learn by doing!

Note that @discobot has a complete profile, so if anyone wonders who it is, they can learn more by visiting that profile, just like they would for any other user:

[attachment=o11313]

Users will be able to ask Discobot questions by creating a new message with @discobot start new user and the bot will provide you with the tutorial that all new users will receive.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Pretty sure @Black is going to be chatting to @discobot every night now after a beer or eight.
Might be best if I read Ned's post again about how it all works before a beer or eight tho Broady ?

Still , that's some very sharp work from The King right there by turning 'Discourse' into 'Discobot' to give it the Tiger relevence.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
I assume the Discobot has the flashing lights, bells and whistles?
And is number 8!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
A small announcement today which should be of interest to @Black is that the full Apple iOS emoji set will be available for use on the new forum :)

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
A small announcement today which should be of interest to @Black is that the full Apple iOS emoji set will be available for use on the new forum :)

Excellent work !

Now we're rockin' and rollin' ( insert new emoji here )

iTiger59

Rookie
Feb 9, 2014
Ned, a really useful feature would be 'Return to top of page' or better still to navigate to the list of 'most recent replies'. eBay have a floating button located at bottom right of the screen, now that would be really useful, expecially when you want to scan current activity.

Just asking :rolleyes:

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
Ned, a really useful feature would be 'Return to top of page' or better still to navigate to the list of 'most recent replies'. eBay have a floating button located at bottom right of the screen, now that would be really useful, expecially when you want to scan current activity.

Possibly a handy tip for you, iT - I use the 'Home' button on my keyboard to jump to the top of the page.

Boing!
Ms Tantie.
xox

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003

It’s been right there all along

[attachment=o11323]

The new forum has a floating scroll bar that will allow you to find the post you’re looking for:

[attachment=o11324]

iTiger59

Rookie
Feb 9, 2014
It’s been right there all along

[attachment=o11323]

The new forum has a floating scroll bar that will allow you to find the post you’re looking for:

[attachment=o11324]
Oooh! Doh!

I like to use the excuse that after the wonderful 4 days of the tiger-thon I was bleary eyed and never saw it, but that would not excuse the previous 5 or 6 years.