Coming Soon - Y & B Makeover

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Another new feature in the new forum is the ability to paste a link to an article into a post and have the summary of the article appear. This is similar to how pasting a link into Facebook reacts.

The other new feature is an automatic preview of your post will be shown to the right of your edit window. This will allow you to see what your post will look like before you hit the submit button.

[attachment=o11325]

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
I'm a member of another site called CompuServe. We just received notice this morning that all the forums are being closed. This has devastated many people, so I was wondering how difficult it is to move everything to a new server. I know nothing about how to do this, but it's happened here a few times when Ned has move stuff, and we don't seem to lose any threads and posts.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I'm a member of another site called CompuServe. We just received notice this morning that all the forums are being closed. This has devastated many people, so I was wondering how difficult it is to move everything to a new server. I know nothing about how to do this, but it's happened here a few times when Ned has move stuff, and we don't seem to lose any threads and posts.
It's relatively easy if you know what you're doing :)

Are you interested in moving the site to another server?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I mentioned in an earlier post that I would be able to share advertising revenue with anyone who wished to publish original articles on the site. Setting this up is relatively simple:
  1. Advise me that you wish to write articles for the site
  2. I'll create your account on Wordpress
  3. You visit your profile and place your Google Adsense advertising code into the appropriate areas (see image below)
  4. You will then receive 75% of the advertising revenue for articles that you publish
  5. Easy, huh?
  6. If you don't want to gain income for your articles, don't complete the advertising code :)
[attachment=o11327]

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Thought that I'd get a few of these out today - sorry for all the posts :)

Once an article is published to Wordpress, it will also be posted in the forum. Any comments or replies to the Article viewed from both the Article or Forum post.

Article in Wordpress:
[attachment=o11328]

Post in Discourse:
[attachment=o11329]

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
It's relatively easy if you know what you're doing :)

Are you interested in moving the site to another server?
I have only been there for a couple of years. It looks like that will happen, I think it was just a shock to read it. I gather the site has been around for a couple of decades :eek: It's hosted by AOL.
I think one of the main concerns is being able to move all posts which date back to 2004 on this server. It's huge!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I have only been there for a couple of years. It looks like that will happen, I think it was just a shock to read it. I gather the site has been around for a couple of decades :eek: It's hosted by AOL.
I think one of the main concerns is being able to move all posts which date back to 2004 on this server. It's huge!
Ah yes - it would be a big job for sure! Wasn't aware at the time that it was THAT CompuServe :)

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Yes, but not how it used to be I don't think.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I have agreed on a date for the transfer of the site to new software.

SAVE THE DATE: Monday, December 11, 2017

I will close the site at a time to be determined which will allow me to take a backup of the database, attachments, and avatars. I then need to upload this to the guy I've employed to perform the migration (way too hard for me to do this alone!). The site will still be available as read only while it's closed.

Once all is in place on the new site, you will have access almost immediately with a different URL. Once you're there, you'll need to familiarise yourself with the new software (send a PM to @discobot who will assist you along the way). I've been working to get the colour scheme to my liking. You'll notice from some of the screenshots that I'm aiming for a light yellow background with black text. I'm going to use yellow highlights so as to preserve the Yellow and Black!

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Why is there no RICHMOND on the Premiership Cup?
The where we finished image.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
What about one of the pictures of the premiership cup on its travels? :)

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
I'll really miss this current colour scheme - Y&B is one of the few websites I have to use that doesn't try to burn out what little is left of my retinas with a bright background and dark text. :(

Mrrf.
Ms Tantie.
xox

believe!

Recruit
Jun 10, 2012
I'll really miss this current colour scheme - Y&B is one of the few websites I have to use that doesn't try to burn out what little is left of my retinas with a bright background and dark text. :(

Mrrf.
Ms Tantie.
xox
agreed.

while it is still here, let me compliment our soon-to-be-gone colour scheme as my favourite forum colour scheme EVER!

it is actually soothing to my eyes.

not to detract from your hard work to destroy it of course, @Ned :p

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Its a Premiership winning colour scheme!
I'm already superstitious for next season.....

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Ned is going to keep us up to date on Twitter.

Since I don't use Twitter can some one send the occasional raven to let me know when we are back on line thanks

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Here are some more new forum "teasers" which I hope you'll like:

At the top of the homepage, you can choose to see the latest posts (default), New posts, Top Posts, Categories, or your Bookmarks (yes, you can bookmark topics that you want to keep track of). You can also start a New Topic (see button on the right of the screenshot).

[attachment=o11331]

On all new topics, you'll see the stats for that topic including the main posters in that topic and how many times have posted. The drop-down arrow on the right will show every person who has posted in the topic with their number of posts.

[attachment=o11332]

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Ned is going to keep us up to date on Twitter.

Since I don't use Twitter can some one send the occasional raven to let me know when we are back on line thanks
You don't need to own a Twitter account to view updates. Just go to twitter.com/yellow_n_black and you'll be able to read the updates :)