Football World in Mourning Over Danny Frawley’s Death

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women AFL Men
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges) Seven
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights) Selections
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels) Available
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
There is some big news about to drop I believe about a former coach of ours and champion player who died in a car accident today.

I won’t name the name yet but it will be released very shortly.

Sad day for football

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
There is some big news about to drop I believe about a former coach of ours and champion player who died in a car accident today.

I won’t name the name yet but it will be released very shortly.

Sad day for football
3AW just confirmed it. Shit house news.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
It had been announced now on all channels so I will let those who don’t know that it was Danny Frawley who died I a car accident today.

Too soon, great character

RIP Spud

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
ST KILDA great and much-loved media personality Danny Frawley has been killed in a car crash.

The 56-year-old was travelling alone on Monday afternoon when his vehicle hit a tree at Millbrook, 20km east of Ballarat. He died at the scene of the crash.

Recruited from a potato-farming family in East Ballarat, Frawley played 240 games for St Kilda, including 177 as captain, from 1984-1995 and won the Saints' best and fairest in 1988.

Frawley, affectionately known as 'Spud', was a regular Victorian representative at full-back and played for Australia in two International Rules Series against Ireland.

Upon retirement, he enjoyed a three-year stint at Collingwood as assistant coach including leading the club's reserves, before landing the Richmond head coaching job ahead of 2000.

Frawley's immediate impact lifted the Tigers to a preliminary final in just his second season before he was sacked at the end of 2004 with a 40 per cent win-loss record.

After departing Tigerland, Frawley spent time as a part-time coach at Hawthorn and St Kilda while turning his hand to various roles in the media.

Mixing his football analysis with his jovial nature, Frawley found prominence in radio at Triple M, SEN and AFL Nation, and in television at Channel Nine and Fox Footy.

Frawley was a panellist on Fox Footy program Bounce in recent times, with his popular 'Golden Fist' segment a hit among many football fans.

Frawley has been open in recent years about his ongoing battle with mental health.

The father of three was also the CEO of the AFL Coaches Association from 2008-2014.

Frawley is survived by wife Anita and daughters Danielle, Chelsea and Keeley.

He was the nephew of Collingwood great Des Tuddenham and his own nephew, James, has played 225 games for Melbourne and Hawthorn as a key defender.

St Kilda president Andrew Bassat said the club was still coming to terms with the news, and would support Frawley's wife and daughters in whatever way it could.

"Danny will be remembered as one of St Kilda's greatest ever players and a dear friend to so many at the football club," Bassat said.
"He was a larger-than-life character, a generous and warm personality, and a favourite son who has left an indelible mark on St Kilda.

"Danny was an active member of our Past Players' Committee and a much-loved champion to our thousands of supporters.

"We share our grief with them and we will endeavour to provide an opportunity for them to share their own personal tributes in the coming days."

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Very sad about Spud -- really tough for his family. The highs can be very high, the lows very low.