Not My President

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Is Bruce Monteath respected at tigerland?
Genuine question.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Is Bruce Monteath respected at tigerland?
Genuine question.
I just read your question and replies on the other thread.
I don't think his ability as a footballer is being questioned,but if he want's to come back to the club,be it on the board,why doesn't he challenge for vacant position,he's had plenty of chances too.
The same goes for Wood,twice he's been involved with failed attempts,obviously their ego's won't allow them to go through the same process that BTC did and many other's over the years .

The other thing is Monteith went back to Wa as a 25year old,and played 4-5 years of wafl,why not stay at Richmond,he was the Captain.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/monteath-targets-tigers-presidency-20120920-269kf.html#ixzz271NHVgmN

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
I just read your question and replies on the other thread.
I don't think his ability as a footballer is being questioned,but if he want's to come back to the club,be it on the board,why doesn't he challenge for vacant position,he's had plenty of chances too.
The same goes for Wood,twice he's been involved with failed attempts,obviously their ego's won't allow them to go through the same process that BTC did and many other's over the years .

The other thing is Monteith went back to Wa as a 25year old,and played 4-5 years of wafl,why not stay at Richmond,he was the Captain.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/monteath-targets-tigers-presidency-20120920-269kf.html#ixzz271NHVgmN
Monteith went back to WA in 1981 because he had played the whole 1980 season injured and thought he was cooked -- the Age article I've given the link to makes that pretty clear.

Most NFP's don't have nomination processes like RFC have adopted and most people won't go through these things unless they are tapped on the shoulder. Its how things like NFP directorships have always worked in the past and still do in small business. Monteith hasn't ruled out going for a position on the board in the future, but the role is unpaid and it looks to me as if he was in FOF in order to get someone he respected like Balme on board. He's pretty much said as much -- it was a shake up he was after and FOF and the Malvern group got that.

Most people in corporate life have colossal egos -- lawyers especially. Colossal ego = success.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Look like l said,it's flogging a dead horse .
Balme has said he wasn't approached by Fof,and as soon as the Magpies said Balmes position would change The Tigers pounced.
Richmond had already removed 3-4 assistants before Fof challenge .

Richmond where already making changes ,and Fof got a whiff,and tried to cash in,they did NOTHING BUT MAKE FOOLS OF THEMSELVES.

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Fof got a whiff,and tried to cash in.
FOF said they approached Balme informally and he says they didn't approach him. That means you can either choose to believe Balme or FOF -- or you can assume that it was a bit of both. Usually with these kinds of things its a bit of both. I imagine Balme was making a distinction between "formal approach" and off-the-record sounding out. Either that or someone got their wires crossed at FOF's end.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
If Balme said he didn't then he didn't informal or otherwise. He's not going to risk his reputation by telling porkies.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Unless his reputation is tarnished by telling the truth.

Everything in the public eye these days is spin imho. We got the version that suits the powers that be.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
No we got the version that conspiracy minded folks don't like.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Heard from my next door neighbour's butcher's son's girlfriend's brother's taxidermist that Balme was in a bar after a particularly meeting with Eddiewood when one of the FoF sidled up and asked if they got a rival ticket for the Richmond Board would he consider coming over as the football director. Balme said anything is better than this crap at the moment.

So ended the informal meeting

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
If Balme said he didn't then he didn't informal or otherwise. He's not going to risk his reputation by telling porkies.
So why wouldn't this standard of truthfulness not apply to the other side?

Monteith is more diplomatic about what happened in the Age today.