Off season musings

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
I joined this forum in 2004 when I had a gig in Hong Kong, hence the moniker. Back then whilst the season was busy, off-season, the season of hope was busier.

Potential draftees, the actual draftees, who would improve, what we would do with the gameplan filled the forum daily. As I type this Fox Footy is playing round 23, 2014, Swans vs Tiges as a Delidio tribute game. Funnily enough Nov 2004 is when we started gushing over Lids, where he would play, could we make finals in 2005, etc.

In some ways I miss those days. Those that know me well, know when in Oz, I'd go and see as many, if not more VFL games than AFL, as I looked to the future and hope. It's different now, instead of us envying others, or working out which team we should emulate and build our team on, it's now watching (with some bemusement) and others try to emulate us.

When Alex's retirement is the biggest news in our off-season, a guy who played 30 mins in 2019, then we're in a different space.

Love to hear from others on their perspective/change in perspective over the past 10 to 15 years...

Ohhh and Happy New Year all.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I followed you through the YnB door in 2005 and yes off seasons were full of hope and discussion. Hope that was quickly dashed at the start of the next season and discussion that spiraled into sack them all.

Different view now

List full of park footballers light of weight and skillList full of premiership players both 1st and 2nd grade
Coaches under pressure to performCoaches under pressure to select the 22 from 44
One man performing multiple functions (Miller)Multiple team members meeting every need
Struggling Board and senior executiveState of the art management at all levels
24 years since a premiershipCurrent AFL and VFL premiers
No Brownlow medalistsTwo Brownlow medalists
Reactionary coachingtrend setting coaching
2 members100,000+ members
Supporters with false hope meekly hopingSupporters full of confidence roaring from every corner of the MCG

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
I remember harping on about the tackles and lackthereof, we were always statistically one of the very lowest tackling teams.
Now our pressure acts are widely regarded as the best in the league. The manic tackling pressure the forwards and mids exert is seen as the Richmond way now.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I said to Rumpy on Xmas eve or thereabouts (he actually asked how ynb is going), that YnB is kinda dead. But only because we have very little to vent or complain about.
I thought I might have to start a thread about the club’s decision to give hard kid Jack Ross, soft kid Brandon Ellis’ number for 2020.
I loved those first few years on Ynb, reading thoughts on our list,the insights from people a lot closer to the action than I, Col’s (and others’) reports on the kids coming through, game plan discussions, VICKERY!, Edwards!, Jackson!, etc
But now, we sit in such a different landscape that you guys have summed up beautifully above.
I remember feeling like I was really included and part of ynb when I made Crusher’s footy match, and I have loved meeting ynbers like Rumpy and Greggo obviously who I now consider good mates, Blackie, Dunc, cardy (who I sent Underbelly box dvd set to because it wasn’t available in Vic at the time - he sent back a signed Matty Knights card), Jase, and others!
I will still visit and post this year and hope a few more come back.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Just read thru Sean Ralphsmith's "Dad's diary" on the lead up to his son, Hugo's selection.
It was nice to see the family's relief and happiness when his name was read out.
They were hoping a Vic club would select him and they had high hopes it would be the Tigers.

Reactions: Vosstiger

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
I joined this forum in 2004 when I had a gig in Hong Kong, hence the moniker. Back then whilst the season was busy, off-season, the season of hope was busier.
It was a lot busier on all Tiger footy forums back then, what with looking for any shred of optimism, board challenges, petitions for extraordinary meetings and what not. I don't miss the challenges, that's for sure. I'm still not used to being at the top of the dung heap in a lot of ways, to wake up most days and remember that we ARE the reigning AFL and VFL Premiers.

I am looking forward to the unfurling of the flag in Round 1, and seeing the team out on the MCG with the gold Premiers logo. More immediately, I'm hoping for a competitive first season in the AFLW.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Yeah @Jools, spot on. It is quiet on all sites. Hopefully picks up now that training has re-started. Watched the vid on the train home. The boys looked like they were having fun. Good to see the Higlet back and into it.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I liked hearing Jack Graham’s thoughts on who is tearing it up in pre season. *by the way, he has got future captain written all over him
He mentioned Fraser Turner, Lambo, Castagna but it was Jack Ross’ name that caught my ear. He is a jet!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Great topic! I can confirm that traffic to this site has been down over the past couple of years. Some of that is my fault, but I am aware that in the days when Richmond played badly, there were lots of posts and this site (and others) was buzzing.

Now that the tiges are in a successful phase, dissatisfaction with the team has declined and so has the desire to voice an opinion - particularly a negative one!

While I lament the lack of posting on the site, I would much rather go back to back in 2020! :)

In the meantime, I'm hoping that people will post about the joy of supporting a successful team.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
It is stress relief to vent here when the side isnt playing well.
Now it is pure enjoyment that the Tigers are respected again.
Watched the '94 game against the Bulldogs yesterday on Foxtel.
We were a young hungry side that tackled quite well, Bulldogs were a dirty side back then.
Free was captain, Brendan Gale played a ripping game, Broderick one of my favs started slowly like Knights but they got into the game. Young Richo, Cambo, Duncan Kellaway, Daffy & Rogers were just starting to make their marks. Greg Dear was a good pick up back then too.
Justin Murphy was almost his debut, Stuart Edwards played as a tall in defence on Illia Grgic.
Gee I hated that we lost Maxfield perhaps a year later, that was a huge backward step at the time.
The late Jamie Tape played a typical solid game too as did Scotty Turner trying to keep Chris Grant quiet.
Mark Neeld kept us going in the forward line for a couple of handy goals early in this match.
High scoring in the 1st half. Murphy and Hawkins in his record breaking game got onto the ground late, they used the interchange far differently back then. 3rd quarter was an arm wrestle, Kretiuk took every oppo to crunch Richo, Libba and Chris Bond exchanged pleasantries, Kolyuik was the one keeping them in the game, Osborne was well held, Cameron showed why we picked him up down the road, they had a Hunter back then too.
Scott West was wearing 14 but you could see the class that he showed wearing 7 in the years to come.
Last quarter they came back with a rush so that it was within a kick the last 2mins or so.
We held on by 3pts. :)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It is stress relief to vent here when the side isnt playing well.
Now it is pure enjoyment that the Tigers are respected again.
Watched the '94 game against the Bulldogs yesterday on Foxtel.
We were a young hungry side that tackled quite well, Bulldogs were a dirty side back then.
Free was captain, Brendan Gale played a ripping game, Broderick one of my favs started slowly like Knights but they got into the game. Young Richo, Cambo, Duncan Kellaway, Daffy & Rogers were just starting to make their marks. Greg Dear was a good pick up back then too.
Justin Murphy was almost his debut, Stuart Edwards played as a tall in defence on Illia Grgic.
Gee I hated that we lost Maxfield perhaps a year later, that was a huge backward step at the time.
The late Jamie Tape played a typical solid game too as did Scotty Turner trying to keep Chris Grant quiet.
Mark Neeld kept us going in the forward line for a couple of handy goals early in this match.
High scoring in the 1st half. Murphy and Hawkins in his record breaking game got onto the ground late, they used the interchange far differently back then. 3rd quarter was an arm wrestle, Kretiuk took every oppo to crunch Richo, Libba and Chris Bond exchanged pleasantries, Kolyuik was the one keeping them in the game, Osborne was well held, Cameron showed why we picked him up down the road, they had a Hunter back then too.
Scott West was wearing 14 but you could see the class that he showed wearing 7 in the years to come.
Last quarter they came back with a rush so that it was within a kick the last 2mins or so.
We held on by 3pts. :)
Thanks for sharing your memories of that game!

1000 CAMELS

Listed Player
Oct 30, 2005
Hi kids

I think I've just recovered from 2017 grand final

I've watched the replay of 2017 finals and 2019 finals 50 times.

Still cannot get over the roar of the crowd when Lambert kicked the first goal against GWS in 2017. I was at the game - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven (but its unlikely I will go to heaven so I knew I was still alive !)

1000 CAMELS

Listed Player
Oct 30, 2005
I followed you through the YnB door in 2005 and yes off seasons were full of hope and discussion. Hope that was quickly dashed at the start of the next season and discussion that spiraled into sack them all.

Different view now

List full of park footballers light of weight and skillList full of premiership players both 1st and 2nd grade
Coaches under pressure to performCoaches under pressure to select the 22 from 44
One man performing multiple functions (Miller)Multiple team members meeting every need
Struggling Board and senior executiveState of the art management at all levels
24 years since a premiershipCurrent AFL and VFL premiers
No Brownlow medalistsTwo Brownlow medalists
Reactionary coachingtrend setting coaching
2 members100,000+ members
Supporters with false hope meekly hopingSupporters full of confidence roaring from every corner of the MCG
2004 - mental midgets
2017 to 2020 - mentally invincible

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
I’ve enjoyed the ride
I think when I first joined the hot topic was trade or sack Richo
Being Canberra based I was alway hungry for VFL reports , training reports and any inside information people had to share
My enduring memory of Y&B will be HKT’s defence of the trio Jackson mcguane & Moore , he supported the clubs loyalty in keeping them on and could see past their early injury interruptions and explain why they shouldn’t be delisted

here’s a question for the die hards, Casey was in charge when we hit a low in the early 2000’s
March took over in 2005 and was credited with turning the club around in the offield sense
I felt mistakes were made under Casey but he might of corrected some by at least changing the direction , then felt March sensed what was working and kept that going but clearly corrected other things to get us heading for financial and administrative stability which laid the platform for sustained onfield success

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I’ve enjoyed the ride
I think when I first joined the hot topic was trade or sack Richo
Being Canberra based I was alway hungry for VFL reports , training reports and any inside information people had to share
My enduring memory of Y&B will be HKT’s defence of the trio Jackson mcguane & Moore , he supported the clubs loyalty in keeping them on and could see past their early injury interruptions and explain why they shouldn’t be delisted

here’s a question for the die hards, Casey was in charge when we hit a low in the early 2000’s
March took over in 2005 and was credited with turning the club around in the offield sense
I felt mistakes were made under Casey but he might of corrected some by at least changing the direction , then felt March sensed what was working and kept that going but clearly corrected other things to get us heading for financial and administrative stability which laid the platform for sustained onfield success
Casey would have put the foundations down. He would have influenced March coming in as replacement and set us on the path.

There was two big decision. One to put into motion the correct financial plan and then to select Gale as CEO to develop that plan.

Everything stems from that

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Preseason training , have a mate who went and saw a session on the Gold Coast

Was in awe of Dusty (well who isn't , but must mean he looked good compared to the rest of the list)
Cotch looking good
Balata being played as a defender
Thought Ross might have been slimmer than last year
Stack look fit and ready
Graham slimmer
RCD looking more physically mature
Markov looking super quick and clean ( was tagged as best atlast years preseason camp ?)
Higgins played with a helmet, looked very fit
Kmac , Lambert & Pickett all catching the eye
Biggy looked better than Chol
CCJ looking impressive

Preseason , so hard to get too excited but it sounded like class shone out
But others in tip top shape , nice start to the season
And younger players are physically maturing , as one would hope for

Some have tipped we will slide in the VFL because of the loss of experienced players
I think we could be well placed for top or near top as the younger brigade have improved and will cover the loss

Last edited:

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Others are adding RCD to the "looking good" in preseason group. Will be a big bonus if he can push hard for a top 22 spot during 2020

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
With a full list to choose from, one spot to replace Ellis (Graham).
Then a rough order for the depth.
B: Broad 35 Grimes 2 Astbury 12
HB: Houli 14 Short 15 Vlaustin 1
C: Lambert 23 Cotchin 9 Caddy 22
HF: Edwards 10 Lynch 19 Castagna 11
F: Bolton 29 Riewoldt 8 Rioli 17
R: Nankervis 25 Martin 4
Rov: Prestia 3
Inter: Soldo 20 Pickett 50 Baker 7 Graham 34
Emerg: Stack 44 Higgins 13 Ross 5 McIntosh 33
Naish 6 Balta 21 Collier-Dawson 26 Turner 28
Markov 31 English 32 Aarts 39 Egmolesse-Smith 43
Coleman-Jones 40 Chol 41 Garthwaite 42 Miller 46
New: Dow 27 Martyn 36 Cumberland 38 Ralphsmith 45 Nyoun 47

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I'm watching the GF again tonight - Short's kicking was terrible hahah

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
With a full list to choose from, one spot to replace Ellis (Graham).
Then a rough order for the depth.
B: Broad 35 Grimes 2 Astbury 12
HB: Houli 14 Short 15 Vlaustin 1
C: Lambert 23 Cotchin 9 Caddy 22
HF: Edwards 10 Lynch 19 Castagna 11
F: Bolton 29 Riewoldt 8 Rioli 17
R: Nankervis 25 Martin 4
Rov: Prestia 3
Inter: Soldo 20 Pickett 50 Baker 7 Graham 34
Emerg: Stack 44 Higgins 13 Ross 5 McIntosh 33
Naish 6 Balta 21 Collier-Dawson 26 Turner 28
Markov 31 English 32 Aarts 39 Egmolesse-Smith 43
Coleman-Jones 40 Chol 41 Garthwaite 42 Miller 46
New: Dow 27 Martyn 36 Cumberland 38 Ralphsmith 45 Nyoun 47
I see a problem with the size of that list
So many who are "AFL ready" and only 22 AFL spots
More will follow miles, Lloyd, menadue, butler
I hope the frustration and disappointment of a growing number doesn't drag down the environment/ culture they have created

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I see a problem with the size of that list
So many who are "AFL ready" and only 22 AFL spots
More will follow miles, Lloyd, menadue, butler
I hope the frustration and disappointment of a growing number doesn't drag down the environment/ culture they have created
I am thinking the club has changed the seconds structure with the older experienced VFL players departing and that has left a host of kids. I can see the plan is to play them in the positions the club sees them playing in top team. Similar to how they picked RCD at center and left him there all of 2019. They will grow together and learn their positions and also how to play together.

That will keep the kids focused. There will be a few retirements over next 2/4 years so that will keep them keen.

However you are right and we will lose some players but properly planned they will be in the 15-25 group similar to Ellis

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Hi kids

I think I've just recovered from 2017 grand final

I've watched the replay of 2017 finals and 2019 finals 50 times.

Still cannot get over the roar of the crowd when Lambert kicked the first goal against GWS in 2017. I was at the game - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven (but its unlikely I will go to heaven so I knew I was still alive !)
Ha! Think I can recite the commentary from both GFs word for word. "Oh Yes! It's Tiger time!"

Great topic @HKTiger ! Miss your insights at the game... when are you coming down again?
Traffic is down here 'cause we are up! Love it.
Can remember going to the footy at Punt Rd as a kid, looking forward to playing Fitzroy because we might win a game. Queued in Punt Rd overnight for tickets to the '67 GF.
After '80 the years of pain and, at times, humiliation.
There are times when I still have to stop and mentally scratch myself about my club being the reigning Premiers.
But oh I love it! Especially the hype before and after. You just didn't get that in the 60s and 70s.

And while on on a roll. Just how many clubs have made the Cup so available to so many?
The "We're from Tigerland" slogan says so much about this great Club.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Ha! Think I can recite the commentary from both GFs word for word. "Oh Yes! It's Tiger time!"

Great topic @HKTiger ! Miss your insights at the game... when are you coming down again?
Traffic is down here 'cause we are up! Love it.
Can remember going to the footy at Punt Rd as a kid, looking forward to playing Fitzroy because we might win a game. Queued in Punt Rd overnight for tickets to the '67 GF.
After '80 the years of pain and, at times, humiliation.
There are times when I still have to stop and mentally scratch myself about my club being the reigning Premiers.
But oh I love it! Especially the hype before and after. You just didn't get that in the 60s and 70s.

And while on on a roll. Just how many clubs have made the Cup so available to so many?
The "We're from Tigerland" slogan says so much about this great Club.
Hi Dell, working on coming back. The house is finished and her indoors will move back at the end of Feb. I'm targeting mid-year. Just got a gig in Sydney I need to finish.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Off season musings
The old saying “if it’s too good to be true then probably is” keeps pestering me
We’ve had 3 great years , but can it last ?
ive looked at it from several perspectives
In 2017 we evolved over the season , and Dusty gave the side a great platform
But I think the coaches have built in some resilience to missing key players ie(Rance)
Complacency - 2018 & 2019 showed great attitude and we have players like stack , Ross and kmac burning to get back into the top side and a bunch like naish egg rcd CCj balta garthwaite wanting spots there to, that level of burning desire will keep the others from being complacent
Depth
We are blessed Depth beyond our dreams from just a few years ago , our entire VFL side could all find new afl homes if they leave us in Oct 2020
The VFL side has such a similar playing style and vibe
It would appear the stars have aligned for to be like the Geelongs & Hawthorns that win multiple premierships and hang around the top 4 for a decade plus
I hope I’m not dreaming

Reactions: Vosstiger and herky