AFL Men Prelim Final Richmond vs Geelong

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women AFL Men
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges) Seven
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights) Selections
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels) Available
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Who were the 3 best Tigers tonight?

• Houli

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Vlastuin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prestia

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Lynch

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Lambert

• Soldo

• Grimes

• Astbury

• Edwards

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Good to see Mick McGuane's done his homework.

In his Rich v Geel prognosis in today's paper he states that..'a predicted wet night will suit the cats , who boast strong ground level players forward'...and then proceeds to babble on about our intercept marking also being affected by the rain.

It's bad enough that I'm immediately exposed to the horribly offensive picture of McGuane's head whilst I'm searching the Herald Sun for a decent article about this week's game , but once I recover from the shock of that , I'm then subjected to an article of unresearched garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: seenitall and herky

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Should got extra week for his story on how it happened :D

Claims it happened coz Schofield held his arm tight and he yanked it out with force

Wouldn’t it go the other way then and not a fist to the face :p

Oh I like the part about Geelong's claim that Hawkin's cowardly blow to Schofield was..'in the play'

Err...excuse me ? As they slow down the footage , you can see the ball on the other side of the ground about 40 meters away ! lmao

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Oh I like the part about Geelong's claim that Hawkin's cowardly blow to Schofield was..'in the play'

Err...excuse me ? As they slow down the footage , you can see the ball on the other side of the ground about 40 meters away ! lmao
It was in fact 60m away ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
If anyone is still looking for tickets, a friend of mine has 2 tickets available for this game. They are in Q19 and cost $165 each.

PM me if you’re interested and I’ll put you in touch.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Stack is back training and if he gets through the week will play VFL grand final with a chance if we get through to play in AFL grand final

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Stack is back training and if he gets through the week will play VFL grand final with a chance if we get through to play in AFL grand final
The Age has Stack not available for VFL GF unfortunately. Great time to be an emerging player at Richmond though.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Chris Scott's feeble attempts to get into our heads today were as predictable as they were laughable.

I was having flashbacks of the Crows 'powerstance' as I read it.

Reactions: seenitall and Coach

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
The Age has Stack not available for VFL GF unfortunately. Great time to be an emerging player at Richmond though.
I’d believe Richmond over The Age
I’d think seeing his last game was in the vfl if we win Friday night he’s eligible to play
As long as our senior side is still going we do what we want in the vfl is the rule isn’t it ?

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
My final say until during or after the game.

Same as leading into the 2018 Prelim , it still bothers me that although marginally better than last year , after playing week in week out for six months + practice matches , we've only played one game of football in the past 25 days.

It's just not good enough by the AFL. The end of season bye removes the advantage for the teams who've earned the week's rest , and in fact disadvantages them as their routine goes out the window coz they're not playing footy at all basically.

I got some confirmation of that concern when I saw a stat this week saying that since the 2016 end of season bye was introduced , only 50% of teams who've gone straight through to the Prelim have advanced to the Grand Final.

Probably didn't help me when I saw our guys playing beach cricket and tossing the frisbees around at Punt Rd this week either.

Aah well , what can ya do ?

My prediction is that we may be down at the first break , but if we can keep the qtr time margin to under 3 goals , then we'll find our feet and win.

If we're up at qtr time , then we'll win by 10 goals.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Probably didn't help me when I saw our guys playing beach cricket and tossing the frisbees around at Punt Rd this week either.

Aah well , what can ya do ?

I don’t mind it, I think it really bonds our group and relaxes them and it’s the difference between us and the cats, Scott is about to have an aneurysm and thinks comments we aren’t that good and their midfield can beat ours impacts us and guys like Selwood and Dangerfield would have done nothing all week but think of what they will do individually to stop us

Plus did you see our frisbee movements ? I was quite impressed :p

Reactions: herky

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Hows everyone's anxiety level ,mines really good compared to 2017.EAT EM ALIVE TIGERS

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Hows everyone's anxiety level ,mines really good compared to 2017.EAT EM ALIVE TIGERS
I was very uneasy before the 2018 Prelim
felt we were set up to lose
and Collingwood had no expectations on them and went out and played with freedom

I'm ok this year , feel we are hungry and focused and very close to being in a special zone

Reactions: colossus

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
Well, this isn’t going to plan. A mixture of Geelongs leg speed, our constant unforced errors & finally undiscipline cost that last goal. It almost looks like we switched off after we got 2 goals up. I expect Geelong to play keepings off now to frustrate the hell out of us. 21 points is by no means insurmountable but we are miles off it right now. Regroup at half time & hit them with everything. We only need to be a goal closer at 3/4 to be right in it but probably need a bit more for our own self belief.

Reactions: amigo

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Great win by Those Mighty Tigers !

We were slightly off our game early , as I suspected we might be , but credit to Geelong coz they played well.

If you're gonna beat us , that's the way to do it. Methodically work the ball up the ground.

However , the thing about that game plan is you need to really hold your nerve. Gotta be patient and you must have the skill by foot to pull it off , and Geelong did that to a tee.

They were helped by some haphazard delivery into our forward half but their kicking to position and patience to wait for the option to present was first class.

Hard to do it for 4 quarters though , and so it proved to be.

The 21 point half time deficit was far from insurmountable , but the first 5 mins of the 3rd qtr were gonna be crucial to our hopes of reeling them in.

Had Geelong kicked the first goal or two it would've meant we had to firstly wrest the momentum back from them , and then kick 5 or 6 goals just to level up.

Enter the Tiger skipper. He laid a brutal tackle at first centre bounce of the quarter , the ball spilled out to Prestia , who hit Lynch lace out.

Lynch goals and we're away.

What a star Lynch is ! Hope that moron Matthew Llloyd was watching lol.

Dusty , Houli , Prestia , Edwards and Baker all had a big second half.

8.8 to 2.4 after halftime and it's see ya later Cats , and see ya later Chris Scott.

4 finals victories from 15 attempts under his coaching makes him the biggest finals choker coach in AFL/VFL history lol.

And yeh you may be right Scott , we may not be as good this year as we were last year , but here's the thing pal...we didn't have to be to beat your mob !

Now for Collingwood ! Please let it be Collingwood !

Last edited:
Reactions: herky and Coach

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Great to be there last night. I was astounded by how much the army outnumbered blue and white fans. Phenomenal.

Jack Graham, Dion, George, and Bachar all added to the finals resumes.

Geelong played really well but missed Hawkins in the second half when they weren’t able to pick us apart. When they hit up short options they were magnificent and took away the Grimes/Vlastuin advantage. They were not able to sustain that and Lynch was too much for them.

Great prelim and although I really don’t like Chris Scott, the cats were obviously very well coached and Tim Kelly is amazing.

To our lads and fans. I love you.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I was more anxious for this year's prelim than 2017. Having underdog status then does take the pressure off, and losing is easier to accept.

We are favourites this year to win the GF, have been since before the finals started, couple this with our smashing in last years prelim, ginormous credit to Hardwick and the team for managing the external pressure so well, pressure that only could have compounded by the scoreboard pressure at half time. How we responded to that potentially crippling pressure really showed the outstanding character of the whole club.

I was sitting in N12, really great to sit among the Richmond faithful. Thought that was the best Geelong played all year, back to their form of the 1st 1/2 of the season, and Hawkins missing improved their performance, with guys like Miers filling the void.

I thought we were gone at 1/2 time. Visions of our last 3 1/4's against them earlier this year appeared. Maybe nothing's changed, Geelong still have the wood over us I thought.

But WOW what a 2nd half..............!!!!!!!!!!

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I feel my grand final has already been played
I hate geelong so suck it chris scott you arrogant ............

There is talk of pulling some guys incase needed for next week, I dont think that is fair just let them play
Imagine busting your arse all year if you are say a Menadue get pulled to be on standby for afl granny and then not needed missing both wins, that would be horrendous to do to someone, so if you pull them then play them otherwise let them have a crack at their own grand final glory

Reactions: herky and Vosstiger

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
On the game............

Geelong were beating us both defensively and offensively for most of the 1st 1/2. Many of our players were just too loose when Geelong had the ball, the teasing distance was just too big. Compound this with being beaten at the contest, no wonder we could not get the ball forward in the 2nd 1/4.

We really tightened up defensively in the 2nd 1/2, and our offensive game benefited from that. Prestia was one of the main culprits in both our 1st half struggles and our 2nd half dominance. He even kicked straight for goal woweee. Houli was massive in the 2nd half turn around too. Lynch was just great all game.

Even though JR was quiet most of the game, if he kicked straight he would have finished with a decent game, but he didn't and that was disappointing for a key forward with all his experience. His kicking for goal was very reliable for many years, not so much later in his career.

Ellis surprised me and played a good game, even in the 1st 1/2 when the team were struggling. Castagna did his bit, like Rioli in our last final, and Lambert lifted after a quiet 1st 1/2.

Bolton is an interesting one, I was tossing up whether Butler would have been better. My main gripe with Bolton is his tacking, something Butler excels in.

Soldo.............when he gets going is a really good ruckman. Needs a bit more confidence, but showing great signs.

Do we play Nank and Soldo next week? Looked like we were trying to cover a selection mistake last night, trying to have only one of them on the ground most of the game.

Reactions: Broadsword