AFL Men QF 2 - Brisbane (2nd) v Richmond (3rd) GABBA 7th Sept 7.25pm

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Who were the best 3 Tigers tonight? You can pick 3 players

• Martin

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Cotchin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edwards

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Prestia

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Grimes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Caddy

• Soldo

• Rioli

• Bolton

• Lynch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Nankervis had to come in and Soldo's form is way better than Balta's and better than Chol's , so the decision was a no-brainer.

Where you guys see it as two lumbering ruckmen , I see it as a potent weapon.
If dry yes but they say it will be very humid and slippery conditions up there so risky playing 2 rucks in those conditions

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
If dry yes but they say it will be very humid and slippery conditions up there so risky playing 2 rucks in those conditions
I know where you're coming from , but we were always gonna play 2 ruckmen and one of them was gonna be Nankervis if he was good to go.

The Bears are playing two ruckmen so ?

Chol is perhaps a tad unlucky , but Soldo would've been unluckier.

Speaking of Soldo , what a pisser that would've been the other week if he'd connected when he tried a header from the boundary throw in.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Nank is a good wet weather ruckman.

The more slippery it is, the better off we will be.

I’m expecting Cotch to go to another level tonight. It is also wonderful to look at Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin and go, wow, the oppo are likely to kick about 9 goals for the game......

Where we need a lift is from our smalls - Rioli (who has played some excellent finals footy against the Hawks and Giants for starters) and Bolton who has been quiet for a month.

If we get something out of those guys, I think we have the potency to kick a winning score with our mids breaking even, and defence winning their battle.

Tigers by 30

Reactions: amigo

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Get ready to Roar boys and girls and others who can't decide. Let's get ready to RUMBLE in the JUNGLE

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Tigers usually get up there in numbers, the one interstate game I've ever been to we outnumbered the home supporters easily. It will be interesting to hear the crowd noise tonight on the telecast.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Where we need a lift is from our smalls - Rioli (who has played some excellent finals footy against the Hawks and Giants for starters) and Bolton who has been quiet for a month.

If we get something out of those guys, I think we have the potency to kick a winning score with our mids breaking even, and defence winning their battle.
It's line ball selecting Butler or Bolton. Even though Butler is probably quicker than Bolton, his evasive skills are near non existent, whereas Bolton can weave through traffic.

Both are good applying defensive pressure, although Bolton has had some discipline issues of late giving away silly 50m penalties or down the ground frees for needless late bumps. Butler has the opposite problem, not enough intensity at contests at times.

The major deal breaker for Bolton is his set shots at goal, would have to be near our worst. I recently caught a glimpse of the closing minutes of our game against GWS last year, Bolton had a chance to win it from a set shot 40m out on a slight angle and kicked it out on the full, I've seen him do similar this year. Butler is very good with set shots.

Butler was very impressive in last 1/4 of the VFL final last week, must have been close to pipping Bolton out of the team this week.

Bolton's best game was against the Eagles in Perth, that was a dry game. He doesn't seem to handle slippery conditions well, as was evident in the recent Eagles game. I hope he proves this assertion wrong in the dewy Brisbane conditions tonight.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Bolton is way better than Butler, all Butler can do is pray a ball lands in his lap and sprint to the goal line and kick a goal, he is a one trick pony who should have more tricks than that.
The MC know it and it’s why he doesn’t get a game too often this year and when he did get one did absolutely nothing
He will be a blue next year otherwise will be playing VFL 99% of the time unless we have a plethora of injuries again

Reactions: honestjohn

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Bris getting away with pushing our players under the ball in marking contests.
Graham gets pinged for a doubtful free for exactly the same type of incident.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
A bit worried. 10 scoring shots to 3 shoes the lions dominence. At this stage, lucky we're not further behind.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Good quarter of footy by the Tiges. We were able to stop them from surging forward better that quarter and for some of our run going.

Lions aren't kicking well which is also helping.

Lambert (7.6 Kms), Graham (7.4), and Broad (7.1) doing lots of gut running - much of that in the second quarter. Rioli and Bolton are both looking lively up forward.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Liking how Lynch and Bolton fought their way into the game in the 2nd 1/4.

Ellis looks off the pace, a weak link so far. Nank struggling with the pace too.

Hoping Flossy lifts in the 2nd 1/2, and we get more 3rd man up assistance in defence.

TV commentators are really behind the under dogs/lions.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
What a turn around by the Tigers from the 1st 1/4.

Edwards playing really well in the 3rd, Cotchin on the 2nd, Dusty sublime finishing all game. Prestia has been handy and Caddy playing his best game in long time. Graham showing them how to tackle properly.

Short squibbed it in front of his captain giving them the last goal of the 3rd, Dimma looked expletive ridden after that.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Added a poll to select the best 3 players tonight. Happy to add other options, but I reckon I’ve got them covered.

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Great to see Rioli in among the goals tonight. @amigo picked it.

Two rucks were OK. Broad hardly touched it. Caddy's best game for a while.

Prestia continues to be our key mid. Not as flash as Shed (who was awesome in the 3rd of course). Cotchin had some really good moments - his continued improvement will matter against more experienced opposition.

Lambert is not far off having a really good game by the looks of things.

Sweet revenge time is a-cumin Friday week.

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
Good to see the "standard" 2 rucks and 2 key forwards working well for us. Premonitions of the GF versus Adelaide in the first half, and that was how it played out. Cwood now have to face an interstate side, and we have G or WC on our home deck and how good did we look when we kick straight or have Dusty in the goal square. Mammoth game from Sheds in the centre

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
A most excellent victory !

In summary....WE F***ING DESTROYED THEM !

18.4.112 is the 2nd most accurate goalkicking performance in a final in AFL/VFL history.

...and 2 of our 4 behinds were rushed !

The media was saying all week that our unbeaten record since 2004 at the Gabba ( or should I say 'Gabbatoir' as that moron , and supposedly unbiased AFL official ground announcer called it pre the Anthem being played ) meant nothing because ..'this Brisbane outfit is a completely different proposition'.

Well I'm calling bullshit to that ! What they forgot to mention was that SO ARE WE !

Not only that , we beat them at the Gabba in seasons where we won the wooden spoon !

Pay attention media flogs...We don't lose at that ground !

It is also wonderful to look at Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin and go, wow, the oppo are likely to kick about 9 goals for the game.

9 goals ? Not likely ! Shame on you for underestimating our defence ! lol

Wish granted ! Both were very dangerous all nite and both kicked 2

TV commentators are really behind the under dogs/lions.

Absolutely Amigo !

Luke 'Valium' Darcy was basically barracking for The Bears. The opposite of professionalism.

Broad hardly touched it.

Yeh but him and Astbury took Hipwood and McStay. Those two Bears had a combined total of 13 possessions and 1 goal.

Broad thrashed his opponent.

Last edited:

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Broad is gonna get the nickname “ostrich” or Turtle pretty soon. Every time he gets the ball in traffic his default option is to get tackled, lie there pretending to dispose of it, and look panicky.
Defensively played well - missed sticking a tackle on Christensen that I hope he analyses.

I was worried about Ellis early but he took a fine mark going back with the flight. Was dangerous on the outside.

Nank looked short of a gallop. Wonder if they’ll risk him in a VFL final next weekend to give him a run? He was excellent around the contest though and dropped back into defence to help out which is his trademark.

We were helped massively by their terrible kicking and some seriously one sided umpiring. Hello Dusty’s throw. Unreal. Although at the time I couldn’t celebrate that goal.

Cotch in the second and Shedda in the third. Leadership.

Only three of our guys were over 20 disposals.

Short’s use of the ball was really good I thought and Caddy, as @amigo pointed out, was excellent.

Lynch and Jack did their jobs and the smalls feasted. I was surprised to see Bolton only had 13 touches. I thought he played a ripper...well, he did, just not with all the disposals I thought he had.

We’ve got the tough side of the prelim draw this year so if we make it we will have well and truly earned it.

GO TIGERS.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Fantastic game and certainly a lot better standard than the previous game that day. Brisbane did help our cause by choking in front of goal. Still our harder bodies and professional attitudes swayed the day. Grimes, Shed then Martin best for mine with good games from Cotchin the defence as a whole and some accuracy in front of the sticks was good to see. It will be interesting to see how Rioli pulls up with that ankle, in his best game for ages. Like mentioned earlier thought Bolton was fantastic and thought he had more of it than 13 posies.

Reactions: Anduril