AFL Men QF 2 - Brisbane (2nd) v Richmond (3rd) GABBA 7th Sept 7.25pm

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Who were the best 3 Tigers tonight? You can pick 3 players

• Martin

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Cotchin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edwards

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Prestia

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Grimes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Caddy

• Soldo

• Rioli

• Bolton

• Lynch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Broad is gonna get the nickname “ostrich” or Turtle pretty soon. Every time he gets the ball in traffic his default option is to get tackled, lie there pretending to dispose of it, and look panicky.

lol , I've noticed that too. Been very lucky not to get pinged more than a few times.

We were helped massively by their terrible kicking and some seriously one sided umpiring. Hello Dusty’s throw. Unreal.

Frees were 25-21 in favour of The Bears and they received 3 absolute charities directly in front of goal , including one to Oscar 'Autumn Leaves' McInerney.

Fair dinkum , you'd reckon the umps wouldve learnt after they robbed North of the 4 points earlier in the season by paying a free kick to Autumn Leaves for the exact same thing directly in front of goal with seconds remaining in the game.

Two of their charities dead in front resulted in 2 behinds due to woeful kicking for goal. Justice prevailed.

The other charity was the obligatory free kick to Cameron which was reversed. Justice prevails again.

And for all the media bullshit about Grimes being fined for staging blah blah ( hello Autumn Leaves McInerney ! ) , I haven't heard one single media person state the obvious. That being it was totally Hipwood's fault. He had no business being anywhere near Grimes once Grimes had been paid the free kick , let alone making any sort of contact , so I say... totally undisciplined play by Hipwood and bad f***ing luck Bears !

Maybe instead of getting in Grimes' face , Eric Shitwood should've been getting on his bike and getting up the ground to try and compete at the next contest , and maybe even get that elusive thing which he coveted in vain all night...a possession !

Last edited:

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Charges Laid:
Dylan Grimes, Richmond,
has been charged with Staging during the first quarter of the Qualifying Final match between the Brisbane Lions and Richmond, played at The Gabba on Saturday September 7.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Staging. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Dayne Zorko, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with Staging during the first quarter of the Qualifying Final match between the Brisbane Lions and Richmond, played at The Gabba on Saturday September 7.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Staging. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Brisbane should be charged with staging. Impersonating a finals-worthy football team.

Reactions: colossus

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Can anyone remember how the release of prelim tickets works?
I’ve booked flights.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Great to win against a side that probably has over achieved this year, I didn't think we played that well,but still toyed with them.
Good to see some player's get some confidence back at the right time,and our accuracy was a highlight.

Now to play Devils advocate,George must have 9 lives,Butler,Townsend must be wondering what's going on in the MC meeting's ,George's out put is average and very inconsistent,his 2019 season stats is on par with Butler's yet he survives .

Ellis sits back far to often ,he has shirked quite a few contests the last 3 games ,he goes to ground to quickly when under pressure with the ball,this is not a whipping boy comment it's a FACT,going hard at the ball once or twice out of ten is not good enough,we have player's in the VFL who could play just as good or better.

It's a big chance for some player's to shine in the VFL next Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vosstiger

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Can anyone remember how the release of prelim tickets works?
I’ve booked flights.
They are on sale for AFL members on Monday the 16th.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Broad thrashed his opponent.
Agree, another case of stats not showing the quality of a players game. I'm not sure who Broads direct opponent was, but the defenders as a whole won against Brisbane's forwards. Hipwood had no influence on the game, apart from gifting a free to Grimes, stupid thing to do. I'm glad Zorko also got fined.

I was at the game, first time at The Gabba, so a few impressions.

The Queensland Richmond Supporters Group put on a pre game function at the Shafston Hotel. Great turn up, speakers included Konrad Marshall, Neal Balme, Anthony Banik and of course the Flea. Around 1000 people turned up and took part in the March to The Gabba. Well done to Dylan Leach and all his helpers.

Not a bad ground to watch at, though where we were on the lower level was a little difficult to view from. The rows aren't on much of an incline and I had a tall guy wearing a beanie in front of me. If I ever go back, I would go to an upper level. It looked like the seats on the other side were on more of an incline, where most of the Brisbane supporters were seated. It was loud, and there were heaps of Tiger supporters there, which is why it was a record crowd for a Lions match. You're welcome!

The weather wasn't what is often encountered there. It had been hot and dry the day before, and it was mild and not at all humid on Saturday. There was a smoke haze from bushfires as well, but not horrible. I didn't notice a smell, and I'm not sure whether my voice was a little hoarse the next day from that, or from yellling during the game. No moisture noticeable, the ground looked like a carpet. Maybe not what the Lions are used to having at their ground!

Plenty of Tigers on the flight to and from Brisbane. Our flight got changed to earlier in the day, but at least we got there, unlike a lot of Bulldog supporters trying to get to Sydney with flights cancelled or delayed.

We came, we saw, we conquered :D

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Loved this on twitter:
"My name is Simon, I love walks on the beach and talking about Shane Edwards' 3rd quarter in the QF '19"

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Now to play Devils advocate,George must have 9 lives,Butler,Townsend must be wondering what's going on in the MC meeting's ,George's out put is average and very inconsistent,his 2019 season stats is on par with Butler's yet he survives .

Ellis sits back far to often ,he has shirked quite a few contests the last 3 games ,he goes to ground to quickly when under pressure with the ball,this is not a whipping boy comment it's a FACT,going hard at the ball once or twice out of ten is not good enough,we have player's in the VFL who could play just as good or better.
Ellis had a poor game but he's been pretty good in 2019 overall and Castagna was unsighted in the first half , but his second half was ok.

I can tell you one thing with confidence Col , there's not a snowflake's hope in hell that Castagna will be dropped , and nor should he be.

He typifies Richmond.

When you've got a bloke like Tom Lynch , a million dollar marquee superstar , deliberately leading to parts of the ground when he knows we're not going to kick the ball there , and he does that simply to drag his AA opponent out of the play and therefore out of the rebound equation , then you know that kicks , handballs and supercoach points aint what we're about.

And that's why George is an automatic selection every week.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009

I agree with @Black re George, he's heart and soul of our forward line pressure, along with Rioli. No way he'll be dropped, Butler doesn't have his intensity, Townsend doesn't have his pace.

Ellis on the other hand I think you're correct.................was so bad he must be dropped. For the entire game he was spectating, looking for the earliest contact to fall over pretending to have made maximum effort at the contest. In a team brimming with players committed to winning the footy, Ellis stood out as someone who wasn't.

One obvious change for our Prelim against West Coast.......

Out: Ellis
In: Stack

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I had a tall guy wearing a beanie in front of me. If I ever go back, I would go to an upper level.

Or....introduce yourself to the tall , beanie clad obstruction so as to get his name , then casually ask where he lives and if he's got a missus ?

Then simply dip down to centre management at quarter time and ask them to deliver an urgent message over the loudspeaker to Bill from Beenleigh , Level 2 , Row C , from his wife , telling him to return home immediately due to an emergency.

Obstruction removed ! Then you can rest your beer on his now vacant seat.

There was a smoke haze from bushfires as well, but not horrible.

Might've just been a downbreeze from Byron Bay or Nimbin Jools ? Did you get the munchies at half time ?

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
I agree with @Black re George, he's heart and soul of our forward line pressure, along with Rioli. No way he'll be dropped, Butler doesn't have his intensity, Townsend doesn't have his pace.

Ellis on the other hand I think you're correct.................was so bad he must be dropped. For the entire game he was spectating, looking for the earliest contact to fall over pretending to have made maximum effort at the contest. In a team brimming with players committed to winning the footy, Ellis stood out as someone who wasn't.

One obvious change for our Prelim against West Coast.......

Out: Ellis
In: Stack
Here's the comparison ,you also have to remember George has played more games ,so his overall average will be better.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Castagna's last few games before the QF
Bris - 18d 1g 3t
WCE - 10d 1g 8t
Carl - 22d 1g 6t
Melb - 17d 1g 1t

Why would anyone want to drop that?
This year, averages 14.6d, over a goal a game, and over 3 tackles a game. Since the bye he's been brilliant.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
Castagna's last few games before the QF
Bris - 18d 1g 3t
WCE - 10d 1g 8t
Carl - 22d 1g 6t
Melb - 17d 1g 1t

Why would anyone want to drop that?
This year, averages 14.6d, over a goal a game, and over 3 tackles a game. Since the bye he's been brilliant.
I was replying to Amigo ,he said George was the heart and soul of our forward line pressure,Butler is on par with George and if it wasn't for a good game from Rioli on saturday l would comparing him to.
Like l posted earlier George has been inconsistent this year and hasn't been dropped ,and like l also posted George has played 15 more games,so his overall average will be better.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Butler only has himself to blame for not getting a gig, you need more tricks than just pouncing on a lose ball and sprinting to the goal line which he may get once a game.

Castagna, Rioli, Bolton and even Baker when down there offer many things more than that.
Butler with his height and pace should be carving up a wing yet it just doesnt seem to be in him to do it, is it due to no tank ??? The other 4 could all move to a wing or onball role for periods but Butler couldnt.

colossus

Listed Player
Sep 18, 2008
I would love to get their distances covered ,because l remember one match we lost, Butler was trying to cover extra ground on Boltons opponent,he did this quite a few times throughout the game.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Or....introduce yourself to the tall , beanie clad obstruction so as to get his name , then casually ask where he lives and if he's got a missus ?

Then simply dip down to centre management at quarter time and ask them to deliver an urgent message over the loudspeaker to Bill from Beenleigh , Level 2 , Row C , from his wife , telling him to return home immediately due to an emergency.

Obstruction removed ! Then you can rest your beer on his now vacant seat.
Evil! Except he was with his girlfriend.

Might've just been a downbreeze from Byron Bay or Nimbin Jools ? Did you get the munchies at half time ?
Lol! Nah, too nervous to eat during the game. My usual state.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Here's the comparison ,you also have to remember George has played more games ,so his overall average will be better.
Hey I like Butler and he'd be getting a game at 17 other clubs. My guess is that he's only an injury away from senior selection , but the MC obviously prefer what Rioli and Castagna bring to the table presently.

My only criticism of Butler would be that his decision making needs to improve.

Needs to take the first and obvious option more often than he does , but admittedly I haven't seen much of him this year , so maybe he has improved in that area ?

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Butler actually has one of the better tanks at the club and often when in the team plugs holes in defence and then sprints foreword. Of course this isn’t a stat but unrewarded running is an important part of the game.

Reactions: colossus and Coach

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Butler actually has one of the better tanks at the club and often when in the team plugs holes in defence and then sprints foreword. Of course this isn’t a stat but unrewarded running is an important part of the game.
So do you think he should stay @Vosstiger?