Rance Retirement

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
According to the Sun he has retired.
It cites family and faith as the reason.

Last edited:

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Hmm , let me think...

Should I...

While still physically capable , spend the next few years kicking the footy around with my mates while playing for the best team in the comp , with the reward for my efforts being $800k per year as I build my standing as one of the best defenders in AFL history ..if not the GOAT ?

OR..

Should I...

Sacrifice all of the above by retiring now and spend the rest of my days on a spiritually devout crusade , with the reward for my efforts being continually having doors slammed in my face and being told to f**k off.

Unbelievable decision from the superstar and he didn't do the club any favours either with the timing of it.

Our entire draft strategy may well have been completely different had we known a month ago.

Reactions: Vines

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Yeah one of our greats but threw us under the bus with timing
He does this 3 weeks back we get a draft pick, we change up our picks and prob look for a key back to develop in there
He stays on list now so no Stack or Pickett type to pick up in those periods
Love him and he is one of the best ever full backs but if doing this it should have been done last month

Garthwaite and Balta time to step up

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Given the timing, a completely nonsensical decision by Rance.

He's done all the rehab to recover from his knee injury, and done the pre season training to be on track for a round 1 start, and he's 9 months away from finishing season 2020. He also signed a contract to play until the end of 2021, what has changed since he signed it.

After all the spruiking by team mates since the Grand Final how we're getting the best recruit for next season, they were obviously blind sided and must be feeling let down to say the least. We've now lost our best recruit.

Good on Richmond, or should I say Benny, for fronting up and thanking Rance for his years of service to the club. There's an opening for Biggy now.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
A shock

Rance has been suggesting he has a life outside football for some time. Having the knee injury and working so hard to get back the timing is odd. However when has Rance walked the normal path?

I don't necessarily agree he should have announced this three weeks ago so we got another pick. It would have just meant another pick in the 70+ area or the subsequent drafts (yes I know we have been good in this area). We are well off for playing options and we did just win the premiership without Rance. It would have seemed so rushed and we get a minor player replacement.

Rance can live his life away from football and the club will carry his spot for 2020.

This gives us options:
1 - Rance may want back in. Probably a long shot but he may miss it more than he realises.
2 - The club can assess the salary cap space created by a Rance fulltime retirement. His current contract will be adjusted for 2020 and assume we aill pay some $ but far less than what he would have recieved. This will allow us to maybe prepay other players contracts and reduce salary cap commitments in the future
3 - we do not rush into getting a minor player replacement. We could now look at available free agents in 2020 or 2021 and start working on getting a ready made top line player. Think young Green from GWS in two years time when his first draft contract is up.

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Good observatoons Gracie. Agree whole heartedly.

Gotta say off seasons have changed markedly in the lsst 3 years. I'm a little lost without all the analysis and need for hope....

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
If the hunger has gone, the hunger has gone. He may do a Tim Watson, but players stepping away from the game at 30 used to be a lot commoner. And that first premiership was one of the greatest services any player has given (especially) to longstanding supporters. The 2017 team have helped set the club up for what will hopefully be a decade of dominance. Alex will be as important a player to the club as the older guys who were there in 67 have turned out to be I reckon.

He looked awhile like he may not even make it and in comparison to people like Cotch and Lids who looked like sure things at draft time, Rance was an amazing pick up really.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Given the timing, a completely nonsensical decision by Rance.
There's a story in the classy HUN tabloid saying Rance's marriage is over.

If true, the nonsensical timing of the retirement decision is now making sense.............

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
I guess what I have read could be true, but it's also feasable that a rumour has been started by someone who wants nothing more than to cause a fake Richmond scandal. We all know there are plenty out there low enough to do that.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
As usual all the social media talkfest on Rance has died down now the focus is on the Bushfires and how Morrison is to blame

HKTiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Mar 19, 2004
Well he's not quite to blame but Scotty from Marketing is being shown up to be a little short in the top paddock.....

Reactions: Vosstiger

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
It's all "operational security".
Trolls beating it up. Now which club(s) would have been the instigators? Hmmmm