Reputation Comments

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Should Reputation Comments be publicly viewable?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • What's a Reputation Comment?

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
A recent post by [MENTION=6798]Claw[/MENTION] questioned whether Reputation comments should be publicly viewable. This is currently the case.

If you're not sure about how to do this, simply go to any member's profile and you'll see a tab labelled "Reputation". Click on that and you'll see the past 10 Reputation comments made.

As there has been some discussion by the Coaching Panel regarding this, I thought that I'd create a poll to find out what people want.

Please comment if you see you see fit.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Bring back negative rep so I can go to town on you plebs !!

Claw

Recruit
Nov 7, 2011
A recent post by [MENTION=6798]Claw[/MENTION] questioned whether Reputation comments should be publicly viewable. This is currently the case.

If you're not sure about how to do this, simply go to any member's profile and you'll see a tab labelled "Reputation". Click on that and you'll see the past 10 Reputation comments made.

As there has been some discussion by the Coaching Panel regarding this, I thought that I'd create a poll to find out what people want.

Please comment if you see you see fit.
Ordinarily I'd say leave it alone. However with temperatures rising and a divide of opinion I don't want to know. Some rep comments get a bit personal which I wonder whether the mods would allow in general.

I think deal with it like a PM.

Give the mods a break.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
What are you saying [MENTION=6798]Claw[/MENTION] - that PMs can be read?

I hope not!

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
I voted "no".

Why would anyone want to see what posters are adding to rep?

Sounds like Big Brother.

There's enough surveillance in this world without adding to it.

Claw

Recruit
Nov 7, 2011
What are you saying [MENTION=6798]Claw[/MENTION] - that PMs can be read?

I hope not!
No, no,no. I'm saying if you want to add comment to reputations they should be like a PM.

Think who gives rep to who is a non issue but I think the personal comment should be left personal.

Claw

Recruit
Nov 7, 2011
I don't want to get rid of comment on reputations.

I just don't want to know about what prompted the comment in detail for other posters. Short answer I know is just don't look...but I just don't leave a rock over turned.

Having said that I often just give rep without comment and occasionally I'll add comment but it's more like a personal addition to clarify.

My point was maybe some posters didn't know their comments were public not that you shouldn't add personal comment on rep.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
So far 3 posters have voted in favour of comments being viewable to others.

Would any of those anonymous people care to elaborate?

After all, I have admitted to voting against it on the principle that what I give reputation to and to whom is my business and the poster I give it to.

I think anyone who wants to read other peoples' thoughts is a voyeur at best and at worst . . . well, that's my business.

C'mon, I dare you 3 no-sayers.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I'm not a no-sayer - I'm a yes-sayer [MENTION=5462]Gimme[/MENTION] :)

The reason I voted yes is quite simple - if I make a comment in praise of someone I have no problem if others see what it. I also don't mind that others can see that I liked something.

I wasn't aware (nor had I considered) that others may not want their comments or positive reputation made public hence this poll.

I have no strong feelings either way, so what happens is up to the majority.

I'll leave the poll open for 7 days and then act on the result.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
[MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] I made a boo-boo by writing "no-sayers". As it makes no sense if I correct it now that you have used the term, I shall leave it.

I accept your explanation but I suspect you may have given the others a way out.

I might just stop giving rep altogether.

Egg

Listed Player
Apr 27, 2010
I voted no simply because I thought the message was personal: for the recipient if you wanted to explain why you (of all people) were suddenly giving a thumbs up.

In the olden days, we used to display who had liked a post. That was fine as it gave an idea of who liked what and keen players could troll for votes (NTTAWWT). Post of the month etc.

I reckon that if we are making the comments visible, we should make the rep visible as well. Otherwise, keep it between the players. This is a bit of hybrid.

Claw

Recruit
Nov 7, 2011
If people didn't know before at least they know now that rep comments are public. That I think is the main thing.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
I'd give you rep for that but I'm in a holding pattern on the whole thing.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
I was a yes too.
I thought it was a promotion for positive comment, so am happy for people to see why I recieve and why I dish it out. :angel:

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
I just assumed it wasn't public. Guess I made an "ass" out of u and me.

I maintain that reputation comments should be private.

Squirrel!
Ms Tantie.
xox

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Sometimes I like to bag out people when I give rep...happy for all to see the mean things I say about Black, Jase, Rumps and Claw...

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Oh shit are they really public ?? bwahahahaaa ! Where can I view these ' public comments I thought were private ' ??

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
I voted No as I believe it is like a PM. Sometimes it is because you agreed with the post at others it is to give the poster a gee up when they may think all is against them. Yes you could do a PM but for a single sentiment unseen rep is much easier.

Perhaps I am just lazy.

Claw

Recruit
Nov 7, 2011
Ned I don't understand what purpose having rep comments public is meant to serve.

I just find it odd that someone would want or need to know I said 'great post' or 'LOL' when giving rep.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Exactly, so don't log on to people's profiles and click on the rep stuff if you don't want to know...not hard.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
You're missing the point entirely, Vinesy.

Hands up those who knew prior to this discussion that rep comments were visible to all. I didn't for one and I believe that Claw is another who thought comments were only viewable to the giver and receiver - "off the record" in journo-lingo.

I would say that there would be a few comments passed that were made in the belief that it was privileged information. (now there will be a mad scramble to see just what people don't want made public)

My impression of people digging around to read comments is akin to sifting through people's garbage bins or placing "bugs" in someone's house to overhear conversations. An invasion of people's privacy!

Heaven help students if teachers have no respect for privacy!

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Eh?
How the hell has my profession come into this bloody discussion???.?

Pretty sure we were asked for our opinion and for a comment. Someone even asked the people that voted yes to clarify why. So I bloody did.

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
Your reply was rather dismissive.

I was surprised that a person of your profession would be unconcerned about privacy.