Reputation Comments

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Should Reputation Comments be publicly viewable?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • What's a Reputation Comment?

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
Hands up those who knew prior to this discussion that rep comments were visible to all. I didn't for one and I believe that Claw is another who thought comments were only viewable to the giver and receiver - "off the record" in journo-lingo.

I would say that there would be a few comments passed that were made in the belief that it was privileged information. (now there will be a mad scramble to see just what people don't want made public)

My impression of people digging around to read comments is akin to sifting through people's garbage bins or placing "bugs" in someone's house to overhear conversations. An invasion of people's privacy!
Hand stays down.

Schtum!
Ms Tantie.
xox

Elgreedo

Recruit
Apr 14, 2011
Your reply was rather dismissive.

I was surprised that a person of your profession would be unconcerned about privacy.
If they're not private then it can't be an invasion of privacy can it? A simple impossibility I would have thought.

I've known they were public for ages. I recall making reference to one of [MENTION=5891]Jase30[/MENTION] 's rep comments in one of my posts, something about "kick it long FFS!"

I always found it interesting to see who else was disagreeing with me when I was discussing something with someone. For instance, if I'd been disagreeing with [MENTION=6723]withagrin[/MENTION], I'd pop in to his reputation comments to see how contrary my view was to others'.

I didn't see it as an invasion of privacy, because it's not private. Now that you know it isn't, you can proceed accordingly.

Bye.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Waggy. Where is he? Or she?

I can only speak for myself, as I was asked to do, but I come on here to talk a bit of dribble with like minded tiger fans. Not, scan about and see what other people have said about other people.

I only read my own, very rare, rep comments because I want to rid of those notification numbers up the top there.....who cares what some people say about other people? Keep em public, move on.

Lighthearted stuff.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
II recall making reference to one of [MENTION=5891]Jase30[/MENTION] 's rep comments in one of my posts, something about "kick it long FFS!"
He loved his rep that boy and.......Where the hell is atJason30 ??? Have the tiges broken his spirit ? Did he get sacked for too much Y&B on work hours ? Did someone upset him ? Did his missus ask him to choose between Y&B or her ??
Piss poor effort choosing her over Y&B Jase.

4morein74

Recruit
Oct 5, 2008
I didn't realise they weren't private either. Not that I am adverse to it, just didn't know.

All talk about privacy is a bit over the top on a public forum don't you think?

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
I didn't realise they weren't private either. Not that I am adverse to it, just didn't know.

All talk about privacy is a bit over the top on a public forum don't you think?
Well yes & no, we are talking about privacy for (mainly) anonymous contributors are we not?

Gimme

Recruit
Sep 27, 2007
If they're not private then it can't be an invasion of privacy can it? A simple impossibility I would have thought.

. . . I didn't see it as an invasion of privacy, because it's not private. Now that you know it isn't, you can proceed accordingly.

Bye.
Your take on the privacy thing would be correct if everyone knew that the comments were not private.

As I have stated I didn't know that fact therefore comments I may or may not have made were on the understanding that what I attached to a reputation was only between me and the person to whom I sent it.

It is conceivable that what might have been written in that comment could be against the rules of posting on Y&B.

Can't recall if I wrote anything questionable by Y&B standards about your good self but don't intend going back through my various comments to check.

Ooh I'm an 'immortal' now!:D
Well done! :applause:

seenitall

Site Immortal
Jul 2, 2004
Burwood East
I voted No as I believe it is like a PM. Sometimes it is because you agreed with the post at others it is to give the poster a gee up when they may think all is against them. Yes you could do a PM but for a single sentiment unseen rep is much easier.
Finally have internet access after the move (thanks, Optus - you're as bad as bloody Telstra! :banghead:) & I see it is too late for me to vote.

If I had been able to do so, my answer would have been a resounding "NO". I wasn't aware that reputation comments were visible to all & agree with others who have mentioned the privacy aspect. Vossy has summed up my feelings very well - if I want a comment made public, I post it; if I want it to be private, I send a PM - that is MY choice.

Today is the tenth anniversary of my joining Y&B and, up until now, I thought rep was a PRIVATE matter. I'm pretty pissed off to find that I was mistaken.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The votes are in and the "No's" have it.

Reputation is now private.