What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Lions here
  • UPDATED August 20!

AFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 22 game versus West Coast. View the stats totals here.

VFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 20 game versus Essendon. View the stats totals here.

VFL Women - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 15 versus Western Bulldogs. View the stats totals here.

• The current ladder positions of our teams are:

AFL Men: 4th ⇨

VFL Men: 1st ⇨

VFL Women: 3rd ⇨

AFL Men Round 11 North Melb vs Richmond

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Lambert will miss again
Cotchin if he said he’s alright will play
Soldo will replace CCJ

If for some reason Lynch doesn’t come up I’d leave CCJ in to play FF

Menadue would be the Out you would think for Cotchin

Graham would play at least a full game in VFL before coming back

Naish would be the only one from VFL who could debut but with guys like Cotchin and Lambert coming in it will get hard now

2 biggest worries here are Cunnington and Brown

We must have someone to stop Cunningtons influence as he is their barometer and Brown is a big boy so Astbury would get him, I think he may do well in air but Astbury will struggle to stop him on the lead so a Grimes or Garthwaite would be better on him there.

New interim coach and they normally win their games first up so hopefully they don’t

Last edited by a moderator:

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
If Lynch doesn't come up, Chol strikes me as a better KPF than CCJ. Better goal sense, more mobile.

North had an ususual coach change over, in that Scott was given a virtual farewell game that they won in emotional fashion. Most coaches that get the flick mid season leave after a bad loss or string of losses. The new coach comes in & they have a positive response. This is a totally different situation. I think they will struggle to get up again this week.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
North had an ususual coach change over, in that Scott was given a virtual farewell game that they won in emotional fashion. Most coaches that get the flick mid season leave after a bad loss or string of losses. The new coach comes in & they have a positive response. This is a totally different situation. I think they will struggle to get up again this week.
I agree. I think they will have an emotional letdown this week.

I've been overseas for 5 weeks, so this is the first game I will watch live since ANZAC eve. The internal alarm in my head woke me up in the middle of the night in LA for the Dreamtime match though.

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
In: Butler, Cotchin, Soldo
Out: Coleman-Jones, Menadue, Rioli

B Ryan Garthwaite, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
HB Nathan Broad, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli
C Brandon Ellis, Dion Prestia, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF Jack Higgins, Jason Castagna, Dan Butler
F Dustin Martin, Tom J. Lynch, Noah Balta
Fol Ivan Soldo, Trent Cotchin, Nick Vlastuin
I/C Sydney Stack, Liam Baker, Shai Bolton, Josh Caddy

EMG Callum Coleman-Jones, Daniel Rioli, Jack Graham, Connor Menadue

Last edited:

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Not really a surprise. Rioli hasn't been in form and I think only played last week because it was Dreamtime. Plus they seem to be making the smalls play midfield in the VFL to add extra strings to their bow.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I'm surprised Rioli was dropped, thought he was undroppable. Happy for Butler, he deserves promotion.

Teams normally come out playing unencumbered after their coach is sacked, expect the Kangas to play attacking footy which at Docklands will test us.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I’m not shocked Rioli was dropped for form, I am shocked that Castagna, Higgins, McIntosh and Broad havnt been dropped for form at stages this year.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
According to Fox Sports, since 2001, only 7 out of 18 teams have won following a coach departure.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
I'm surprised Rioli was dropped, thought he was undroppable. Happy for Butler, he deserves promotion.

Teams normally come out playing unencumbered after their coach is sacked, expect the Kangas to play attacking footy which at Docklands will test us.
Yes you are right. On the flip side though if we bring our pressure game they might not be in the mental head space to be commited enough to overcome the pressure. If we are up in the first quarter and on our pressure game they will crack and it might not be pretty for new coach Shaw

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Goldstein takes possession of the ball, gets tackled lets go of the ball, decision holding the man......
Foxtel commentators covering up the glaring umpiring errors left right and center.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
North are the cheap shot kings, and know they will be able to get away with it tonight.
Chicken wing, knees to Cotchins head, late bumps, scragging before the player gets the ball. Kicking the ball away after the free has been paid x2 no penalty!

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Umpiring was terrible and one sided Kangas way most of the 1st 1/2. Razor Ray trying his best for North.

Both Astbury and Garthwaite are sub standard spoilers, too much opponent focus, zero ball focus.

Dusty keeping us in it, that last goal to Wood highlights our lack of awareness and thus pressure at times. Wood was standing by himself in our defence for a long time until the ball was passed to him for a goal.

Baker fought his way into the game after a quiet start, Higgins needs to to more. Prestia been busy, Grimes and Flossy their usual good games. Lynch has been sub standard at times, being out marked too many times, needs to at least spoil.

If we play the Richmond way, we should over run them in the 2nd half.

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
This is the Bulldogs effort all over again. North have brought the tough game & we have fair dinkum sh@t the bed. A lot of passengers tonight. Higgins has been the invisible man.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
We've been out Richmonded tonight. Their pressure is way up on ours, they are winning the centre square contests too easily, as well as most of the one on one contests around the ground.

You're right Readie, too many passengers. We are being out marked all over the ground, but being beaten at ground level too.

Soldo is a complete liability, not even winning the hitouts, Edwards unsighted too. Cotchin is tackling everyone around the neck.

Not a top 4 display in the 3rd 1/4.

Last edited:

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
I want a head count, we are outnumbered at the contest then when the ball is kicked forward we are still outnumbered.
They look to have 2 or more extra players on the field not counting the green maggots. :)

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
It’s a worrying sign that all 4 losses have been beltings. When a team gets on top of us, we cave in. Need a large dose of resolve.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Second to the footy.
Terrible system going inside F50 as Scotty mentioned.
Way too many passengers.
Some of the turnovers tonight were horrible.

Tough game next week.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Really missed Lambert and Ross types tonight, as well as Nank's presence around the ground. Missed Rioli's pressure too.

We gave them too much space tonight, probably waiting for them to turn it over, which they mostly did not do.

I was waiting for the usual Richmond response, but that lasted 5 minutes in the 2nd 1/4, and that was all Dusty. Nobody lifted with Dusty.

Our current team is certainly not suited to Docklands.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Just a poor effort all around, they wanted it more and worked in numbers whilst no one showed up for us.

Cotchin I found a liability, I guess him being unfit resulted in stupid frees and quite a few goals came from him for north
Should have played a vfl game first

Should see a few changes next week coz there was many poor players
Higgins should be first dropped closely followed by Bolton

Apr 8, 2010
The VFL tigers had a similar experience to their big brothers today which was really disappointing - only saw first half but on that I would only consider Naish for promotion and maybe Graham. The pattern was similar with the Tiger tsunami repelled by lots of intercept marking from North’s defence.

The loss last night is not the end of the world as it was more about North’s incredible one off contested efforts than ours. We will get that contested effort back for the Cats especially if Lambert comes back.

I worry far more that our forward structures and fast knock on style of play won’t stand up to the best sides in finals. We are just too small and too easy to intercept with a mark accurate kick response.

On players, Garthwaite’s lack of confidence to mark and one grab on the ground may work in the wet winter but not on a fast dry deck. He needs to be told to go for those marks or he can’t stay at AFL level. Soldo was similar and didn’t take the expected grabs in defence that Nank would. His poor showing really exposes us. CC/Chol would be smashed at centre bounces so aren’t better options unless they are competitive around the ground.

They may move Balta down back when Riewoldt comes in but he is needed forward now, plus his natural attacking instincts may not work with the rest of the defensive unit.