AFL Men Round 17 Richmond vs GWS

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
After a huge win ( which should have been at least 150 points but they decided to not play the 2nd half pretty much ) we face GWS

Our remaining 7 games are at the MCG and we play 5 top 8 teams and Melb who were meant to be lol

Riewoldt and Caddy should be back for this game so selections are getting harder.
The only one from VFL who did well was Baker and he played down back with 29 touches but doubt hed get in unless an injury.

There were articles going around this week that back in 2017 at this stage we were sitting with same win loss record as now and similar % before our huge run and flag is history about to repeat ?
Also that 50 years ago in 2017 we won the 67 flag and 50 years ago in 2019 we won the 69 flag

Kelly is most likely out for them this week and Coniglio has a cloud on him as well whilst Mumford and Whitfield will be back.

If Coniglio plays we must tag him, he is their barometer so negate him with Graham.
Whitfield is like their quarterback and if he plays back we must have a Rioli on him to stop his run because he will get it 30-40 times and hurt us, if he goes forward then whack Sydney or edwards on him.

Soldo will be very important here as Mummy cant get around the ground like he used to so Soldo should make sure he does.

Ins - Riewoldt, Caddy
Outs - Chol, McIntosh ( if its not McIntosh then its Rioli but id want him in to play on Whitfield to keep pressure on him running off )

B- Short - Grimes - Vlastuin
HB- Houli - Astbury - Edwards
C- Ellis - Cotchin - Lambert
HF- Rioli - Riewoldt - Stack
F- Castagna - Lynch - Caddy
R- Soldo - Martin - Prestia
INT- Broad - Bolton - Graham - Smith
EMG- Chol - Baker - McIntosh

Tiges by 32

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gracie and amigo

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Damien Hardwick is due to coach his 222nd game, drawing level with Jack Dyer (222 games, 1941-52) in second spot in club history behind Tom Hafey (248 games, 1966-76).

Reactions: Gracie and Jools

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
History most certainly does repeat, I look at other similarities to 2017......

Early in the season we added Caddy, Prestia, Castagna and Butler along with a suitable new game plan. This season we've added Lynch, Stack and Ross.
Graham and Townsend were introduced late in the season and they completed our team that clicked and were unbeatable at the G, now we have Chol and possibly Egg who looked poised and skilful.

Telling will be when Jack and Nank return(maybe Rance too), we are either going to gel into an unbeatable juggernaut, or all that talent unbalances the team and we under perform.

And to cap it off, we weren't even considered a GF threat until well into the finals series in 2017, most commentators have written us off this year, with the notable exception being Wayne Carey.

One similarity to 2017 we definately need this year is an injury free run into the GF.

Reactions: Vosstiger

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Astbury and McIntosh signed on for 2 years today
Stack was said to have agreed to 2 years last week with a clause about his fitness during the break

Apr 8, 2010
I think MC discussion this week will be fascinating. We are building a new team to beat West Coast in September - our old team had reached its use by date. This week will give us a clue where they are heading. The team is still a work in progress which is exciting.

Rucks: I think Dimma likes the second ruck option now especially against the Niknat or Grundy factor. I presume they will keep Chol in the team and protect Lynch/Riewoldt and give Soldo relief - it might be different if Nank were in. Soldo has improved and gives us first use. Nank could conceivably be second ruck forward especially when he first comes back.

Tall fwds: the big question is how well Jack and Tom will gel and not get in each other’s way. With the ruck fwd as well, Jack doesn’t need to crash packs anymore. He may play higher up a wing and use his smarts to play a hybrid Bontempelli type role.

Mids/small forwards: really quickly Stack and Bolton have gone past a number of others (Higgins, Butler, Baker) because they can impact both forward and midfield together with Edwards. It also looks like we are resting more mids forward rather than use the bench hence more goals on the weekend from Cotchin and Lambert. Rioli/Castagna/Graham stays in just for tackle pressure. This unpredictability could be a game changer in Sept.

Backs: still our weak point is lack of a second genuine tall defender against a Kennedy, Cox or Darling. Ideally you’d have Grimes play on a small and exploit - same with Broad. Garthwaite hasn’t stepped up. This is probably why Balta has gone back to the VFL to hone his backman craft. I think he comes into calculations if Rance doesn’t get up or Astbury injures again.

I think this weekend they may rest Prestia and potentially McIntosh or drop Rioli. It’s the long term view that’s really worth looking at.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Backs: still our weak point is lack of a second genuine tall defender against a Kennedy, Cox or Darling. Ideally you’d have Grimes play on a small and exploit - same with Broad. Garthwaite hasn’t stepped up. This is probably why Balta has gone back to the VFL to hone his backman craft. I think he comes into calculations if Rance doesn’t get up or Astbury injures again.
Balta won’t be doing anything as he did his quad and will be out 3-4 weeks

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I'm expecting 2 changes and believe that we will keep Chol in the side as we won't risk Jack or Tom to share the ruck duties as they both have had PCL injuries.

In: Riewoldt, Caddy
Out: Rioli, Eggmolesse-Smith

terry31

Listed Player
Jan 15, 2014
After a huge win ( which should have been at least 150 points but they decided to not play the 2nd half pretty much ) we face GWS

Our remaining 7 games are at the MCG and we play 5 top 8 teams and Melb who were meant to be lol

Riewoldt and Caddy should be back for this game so selections are getting harder.
The only one from VFL who did well was Baker and he played down back with 29 touches but doubt hed get in unless an injury.

There were articles going around this week that back in 2017 at this stage we were sitting with same win loss record as now and similar % before our huge run and flag is history about to repeat ?
Also that 50 years ago in 2017 we won the 67 flag and 50 years ago in 2019 we won the 69 flag

Kelly is most likely out for them this week and Coniglio has a cloud on him as well whilst Mumford and Whitfield will be back.

If Coniglio plays we must tag him, he is their barometer so negate him with Graham.
Whitfield is like their quarterback and if he plays back we must have a Rioli on him to stop his run because he will get it 30-40 times and hurt us, if he goes forward then whack Sydney or edwards on him.

Soldo will be very important here as Mummy cant get around the ground like he used to so Soldo should make sure he does.

Ins - Riewoldt, Caddy
Outs - Chol, McIntosh ( if its not McIntosh then its Rioli but id want him in to play on Whitfield to keep pressure on him running off )

B- Short - Grimes - Vlastuin
HB- Houli - Astbury - Edwards
C- Ellis - Cotchin - Lambert
HF- Rioli - Riewoldt - Stack
F- Castagna - Lynch - Caddy
R- Soldo - Martin - Prestia
INT- Broad - Bolton - Graham - Smith
EMG- Chol - Baker - McIntosh

Tiges by 32
I reckon we need the two rucks in, so Chol stays, Broad should have a rest, I agree Mcintosh should drop to the 2s, mind you he is valuable because of his body size. Caddy for Broad I reckon, Jack for Macintosh or Eggles. Would like to see Baker come in, he would be a good tag for Toby boots green. I think, and I agree, that at this point in time we are searching for our best 22. And that is on current form. Bolton looks a lock in, Eggles, we have to watch and see, Castagna has come good, Rioli has to do more, Broad I have my doubts, Ellis still there but needs to be more strategic, Don't know where Ross will fit in, and Nank will replace Soldo or Chol, I think I would go with Chol, more options around the ground. Anyway that's my Ramblings, season starts this week, go Tiges!!!

tommy_g

Rookie
Jun 12, 2012
Obviously a big game! We are getting back to a full strength list to pick from. There will be some unlucky guys this week, but that is similar to all successful teams.

Maybe Caddy to return through the VFL? and Jack straight back into the 1s?

terry31

Listed Player
Jan 15, 2014
Noticed Caddy, Higgins, Baker all named in the two's. If this is what happens that leaves an out for Jack. Surely not Chol, but would be logical, I reckon Mcintosh, Broad or Rioli. Should keep Scrambles in for this one to see how he goe's against a top line side. But whatever, I guess they know what they are doing.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Noticed Caddy, Higgins, Baker all named in the two's. If this is what happens that leaves an out for Jack. Surely not Chol, but would be logical, I reckon Mcintosh, Broad or Rioli. Should keep Scrambles in for this one to see how he goe's against a top line side. But whatever, I guess they know what they are doing.

The bench of extended squads always gets named in VFL

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Only 1 change now:

In: Riewoldt
Out: Graham

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Caddy to the VFL
Don’t mind that he’s been pretty poor this year

Graham unlucky, thought he’d play and play on Coniglio
He had 23 possies and 7 tackles last week so wonder if he has a niggle

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Caddy to the VFL
Don’t mind that he’s been pretty poor this year

Graham unlucky, thought he’d play and play on Coniglio
He had 23 possies and 7 tackles last week so wonder if he has a niggle
Caddy missed last week. May not have got up in time.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Good decision to leave Caddy out and Chol in. Also like the decision to keep Egg in following his impressive debut.

I'm also surprised Graham was dropped, but can't think of who else to drop to make way for JR.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
It’s a nice problem to have isn’t it?

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
It is a nice problem to have, and I'm liking how the MC is handling it.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Nice to have Jack back - and Lynch keeps getting better. 18 disposals and 3 goals is a great return.

Bolton has really arrived.
Stack will be the unluckiest non-RS since Dusty's suspension ruled him out.

Will be interesting to see who misses out when Nank returns eventually. Both Soldo and Chol are developing nicely - both with different attributes. Soldo seems to love a hard follow up tackle like Nank.

Other things I liked - Broad, Vlastuin and Grimes as usual. Houli and Ellis' run.
Cotch ghosting through the middle in the last quarter had the 2017 QF written all over it.
Lambo - oh my gosh. When that guy retires I would love to sit down for a beer with him. Like, I might stalk him.

Prestia will be top 3 in the BNF this year.

Where is everyone?????????????????????????

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Great start and then just seemed to go through the motions.
Bolton has put a couple together now
Lynch played a lot better with Jack back now defenders have to pay attention to jack and Chol

VFL won as well with Caddy best on
Baker and Higgins also good

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
It was always a concern coming off the bruise free round last week, but we came out firing. There were glimpses of our 2017 finals series form in the 1st 1/4.

The next 3 1/4's we were treading water, which was disappointing.

Lambert was BOG imo, Grimes and Flossy solid in defence, Bolton becoming a versatile and valuable contributor. Chol I am really surprised with, from looking lost in the VFL not too long ago, his decision making, poise and footy smarts now at senior level are amazing, even in the wet conditions. How will they squeeze Caddy back in.........

Lynch played good team footy, and his combining with JR looked promising.

Egg showed an area of his game that needs work if he's going to be a regular senior player, and that is his defensive pressure. He needs to lift his one on one efforts. The attacking side of his game is very good.

I thought Broad was lairising today after our good start, and the team suffered for it. Stop trying to hit up targets between opponents with precision passes, go the safe option. Cost us a goal and momentum in the 2 1/4.

Overall the signs are good that we are building at the right time of the season. There is still a lot of improvement left in the team and some tough games ahead at the G is the ideal preparation for the finals series.

tommy_g

Rookie
Jun 12, 2012
Solid win. Other than a mini come back by the Giants, it never looked in doubt.

If we can just manage our guys through the rest of the season, we should be in a good position to have a crack in September.