AFL Men Round 20 Melbourne v Richmond

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
It appears that the defensive wingman’s role is to get about 13-14 disposals and bob up for a goal.
Difference was Caddy didn’t play the whole game and came in from missing from injury
Played a chunk in pouring rain
Had 92% effiency

Caddy >>>>>>> McIntosh

McIntosh has a fair bit to work on still in my eyes

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Butler showed enough I think.
Yeah nah
Caddy >>>>>>> McIntosh

McIntosh has a fair bit to work on still in my eyes
A real toss up between these two imo, KMac's good is very good, bad shocking, same can be said about Caddy on this years form.
Big question mark on Caddy's ability away from the forward line, where he has never really cemented a role at any club to date.

Never thought I'd say these words , coz winter shits me , but...

I hope the rains cometh down in biblical proportions during September !
LoL and well put. Wet conditions certainly suit us, notice in each final in 2017 there was a shower during the match which changed the game our way.

I am concerned about Richmond's ability in the dry. We still haven't proven playing keepings off against us doesn't work any more. Dimma has said we've made a few defensive adjustments to counter this, but have not been tested by a quality team in the dry recently.

Looking at the Eagles today, players like Gaff and Yeo can consistently hit moving targets, as opposed to our link men Houli and Prestia, Edwards and even Cotchin, who are more hit and miss. In the dry our lack of precision has been an issue against the better teams, as has been our zone defence, which opponents just short pass through.

I thought we missed Stack on Saturday, his quality ball use was noticeably missing.

Lynch continues to impress, Bolton's set shots at goal are concerning,

Graham and Castagna seem to be finding form, JR has a lot of improvement in him, as has Short.

Rance will no doubt school Grimes on how to handle a tag.

Rain is predicted for Sunday, so we should belt the blues.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Don’t remember it raining in the 2017 prelim...it was stinking bloody hot is my recollection of the weather. Beers at the Arbory were very tasty.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
It was stinking bloody hot is my recollection of the weather.
Mercury soared to 25 degrees in Tassie that day did it mate ?

You must've been filthy that they don't sell air conditioners in Tassie ?

Oh and I think it did rain in the 2017 Prelim ? Didn't it ?? I dunno ? I know we won !

Reactions: Vines

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016

Oh and I think it did rain in the 2017 Prelim ? Didn't it ?? I dunno ? I know we won !
Hey, it was 38 in Hobart one day earlier this year! And remember those bushfires!

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008

I was in Melbourne at the game you wanker!!!! :p
It was raining goals in the 3rd quarter up our end....there wasn't any rain from the sky though.

Reactions: Vosstiger and Black

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I was in Melbourne at the game you wanker!!!! :p
It was raining goals in the 3rd quarter up our end....there wasn't any rain from the sky though.

I was at the game and had a virus, it didn’t rain

I think only final it’s rained in was against Hawks last year it pelted down

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
There was a brief shower in the second quarter of the GF.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Geez TH, 2017 is not that long ago, it definitely rained during the Grand Final at least, but I'll confirm rain in the other 2 finals in due course.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Geez TH, 2017 is not that long ago, it definitely rained during the Grand Final at least, but I'll confirm rain in the other 2 finals in due course.

Yeah but I was in a state of delirium during that GF. it just felt like perfect conditions no matter what was happening during the game

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah but I was in a state of delirium during that GF. it just felt like perfect conditions no matter what was happening during the game
Haha fair enough, for me rain is perfect conditions at the footy these days.

tommy_g

Rookie
Jun 12, 2012
Went to the game last weekend.. reminded me a bit of the Port game a few weeks earlier.. We were very much in cruise control the whole time.

West Coast and Brisbane heading into final will be a good tune up for us

Reactions: Vosstiger

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
The 'number of quarters won' is a stat that i pay attention to , coz there's not much grey area and I reckon it shows an even performance.

Means you're not relying on having one big qtr in a game to get you over the line too often , coz that's not sustainable.

In our past 6 games we've lost only 5 of 24 quarters played.

That's outstanding !
I agree with this, it's a stat I always look at. Any team can have a good quarter in a game and it might be enough to set up a win (hello Essendon!) but consistency across a game will win it. For the season, Geelong is 1st and we're 2nd for total quarters won, equal with Brisbane. We have won 14/19 of our 1st quarters.

Reactions: Black

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
the difference between the ANZAC eve game V Demonds and the game on Sat. night

for the game in April the season was still alive for Melb.
they played like they had the weight of expectation on their shoulders

on Sat. nite the Dees played with freedom , they played on quick , took on the centre corridor , they worked hard for contested ball ... yeah yeah skill errors killed

I reckon it was a nice amount of pressure for us , we don't need another witches hat game like the Gold Coast
and we don't want a bone bruising affair either

now for the Blues , same again please , pressure us in different ways but no reports and no injuries and a nice percentage boost

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Solid win. Smashed them but could not convert. That old problem rearing its ugly head + accuracy in goalkicking

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
we don't need another witches hat game like the Gold Coast
... no injuries and a nice percentage boost
I'll take the witch's hats and the percentage any day given its Car'ton. Any day, every day.