AFL Men Round 22 Richmond v West Coast

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Men
    Thomson Dow (Bendigo Pioneers) Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
    Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy) Hugo Ralphsmith (Sandringham Dragons)
    Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong Stingrays)
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges)
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights)
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels)
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
You'd think we where in WA for this game, talk about being gift wrapped a game of football.......

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
Umpires cant bounce the ball, soft frees to WC in front of goal, Hickey allowed to do what he likes in the ruck but cant be touched himself. And the Eagles look to be throwing the ball consistently and run past the player with the free without chasing an opponent...

Reactions: Vosstiger

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
We've learnt nothing from our last loss to them in the first 1/4.

Keepings off is so easy when most of your team is unmanned. Houli is being the usual link man kicking to our disadvantage, Ross hardly sighted, getting beaten around the contest.

Dumb footy allowing Eagles to get goal side of stoppages in their forward line.

Let's hope we settle and make a statement for the next 3 1/4s.

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
Dominant quarter but we butchered it in front of goal. That last effort from Castagna is worthy of dropping next week. Such a momentum killer. Starting to drizzle at the G.

Last edited:

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
A lot to like about the 2nd 1/4.

We beat the Eagles in dry conditions, we rose when challenged, Bolton.

Umpires cost us 2 goals, studs up(what a joke) and Soldo's mark in the square not paid. Caddy and Lynch butchered a 2 on one goal opportunity making it 3, plus Castagna's bizarre miss means we should be in front.

Liam Ryan and Dusty a class above.

Will we increase the pressure in the 2nd 1/2 2017 style.........I'm backing us in.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Played well that quarter just didn’t make the most of our chances and don’t even talk about that non Mark to Soldo. We need to get going

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

What a game.

Prestia and Dusty, toss up for BOG. Best game I've seen Prestia play.

I'd give Ross in the best players for the Eagles, was a complete liability today.

We were way better than the 1 goal winning margin indicates.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
And he paid the rubbish frees against Jack in the marking contests and the in the back to their Rioli from the Caddy tackle.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Wonder if Dusty read the report that suggested Yeo is the best player in the comp

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
And he paid the rubbish frees against Jack in the marking contests and the in the back to their Rioli from the Caddy tackle.
Correct decision, shit rule. Much better to knee someone in the back of the head :rolleyes:

3A6700BF-115F-4C2A-B534-70156958E980.jpeg

Jack should have learned the first time. He got pinged for it again later in the game.

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
That last effort from Castagna is worthy of dropping next week.
Amen, but we should have won by more than we did.

Coasters had a lot of luck. Next time we'll have Cotch back, though.

With even @amigo praising Prestia, you know he's onto something. So many of Dusty's best moves started with a receive from Prestia. Lambert was down today, as were Graham and a few others. But Prestia and Cotchin will be key in the next few weeks.

Both Riewolt and Lynch looked good. So did Vlaus, Astbury and especially "ankles, what ankles" Grimesy.

Really looking forward to pasting the Gorillas next week.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Lambert was down today, as were Graham and a few others.
The Eagles tagged Lambert, Hutchins until he did a hammy, not sure who in the 2nd half. They obviously rate him highly.

Was Graham tagging someone, was hardly sighted but maybe playing a role.

I thought Baker was quiet, but he did a decent defensive job on Ryan/Rioli after 1/4 time.

Soldo played well after a terrible 1st 1/4. He was very good in the ruck contests, and serviceable around the ground.

A couple of observations from the last 1/4. The down the ground free should have gone to Kennedy, Rioli sprinted in and took the ball off Kennedy, only to hit the post. A LoL moment.

JR was practically standing the mark when Lynch had a set shot from a tight angle, looked like a tactic to assist Lynch.

Bolton really needs to work on his set shots, been woeful for too long and is a major blemish on an otherwise good attacking player. Maybe Soldo can give him some tips.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
We need to win this, there is no " dont show them our cards yet'

Of course there is ! Gotta keep a cupla tricks up the old sleeve. That's why Cotchin didnt play.

next thing you are playing in an elimination game and have an off day like we did last year

An off day ? Or too many days off ?

Not fussed at all if we finish 5th. We'll win the flag by even more if we keep the continuity up.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Eagles are a good side and they're better than they were last year , but I thought we were superior everywhere today.

Did it without two of our most inspirational players - Our captain and our first choice ruckman.

I/50's were 62-44 , half a dozen more scoring shots...and we can play better than that.

We'll beat them at the G in a big final.

Reactions: Broadsword

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Thought we were the better side for 3 of the 4 quarters but we can’t afford to give a start like that it nearly cost us the game

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Wow great game of football. Would have been happy for that to be a grand final game....only if we win of course.

They had our handball game under control in the 3rd and then we come out in the 2nd and kick it more often and from there we were all over them.

We still have another level to go to. If ever these forward attacking chains start to payoff consistently we will bury sides.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
AFL General Manager Football Operations Steve Hocking said:

The studs up rule was brought in to ensure players did not employ their studs in marking contests in a manner likely to cause injury.

Although the two incidents from the Richmond v West Coast Eagles match were adjudicated according to the current interpretation, the AFL acknowledges there is a need to adjust the interpretation of rough conduct free kicks relating to the use of studs in marking contests and will make this change effective immediately.

Reactions: herky

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
My reading of this media release is the umpire, number 32, misinterpreted the rule, because those two marks were not likely to cause injury.

He also got the in the back rule completely wrong to stem our momentum in the last 1/4.

Seems to me it's all umpire incompetence, having an inability to umpire in the spirit of the game and hence implement the correct interpretation of the rules, and not an issue with the rules.

But of course, umpires are a protected species in the AFL, so we get the media spin to deflect the cause.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
My reading of this media release is the umpire, number 32, misinterpreted the rule, because those two marks were not likely to cause injury.

He also got the in the back rule completely wrong to stem our momentum in the last 1/4.

Seems to me it's all umpire incompetence, having an inability to umpire in the spirit of the game and hence implement the correct interpretation of the rules, and not an issue with the rules.

But of course, umpires are a protected species in the AFL, so we get the media spin to deflect the cause.

Yes he was the one who was against us all game, he seriously should have had a eagles jumper on
I’d go as far as he should be investigated either not wanting us to win for a hated of Richmond or for gambling on eagles because he did many atrocious decisions against us and was putrid
1,2 decisions yes but I think he was involved in many

Both jacks marks
Soldo mark 15 out - play on ???
Caddy in the back on Ryan
Soldo copping kicking in danger when he was 5m away and ump 50m away paid it ??
Not 100% sure but fairly sure it was him when Lynch marked 20 out but blew his whistle really late so Lynch played on butchering the easy goal which they got couple mins later

I’m pretty sure that flog won’t be getting any good finals series matches

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Funny thing is TH, you go to the Eagles board, and they are almost unanimous in blaming the umpires pro Richmond bias for losing the game :oops:

I agree with all you examples of atrocious decisions against us, even the AFL agree with 2 of them, can't think of any poor decisions costing them goals.

Go figure................

Reactions: Broadsword