AFL Men Round 22 Richmond v West Coast

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
we can’t afford to give a start like that it nearly cost us the game.

That was an anomaly Vossy. We've been the best first qtr team in the AFL this year.

Yes he was the one who was against us all game, he seriously should have had a eagles jumper on
I’d go as far as he should be investigated either not wanting us to win for a hated of Richmond or for gambling on eagles because he did many atrocious decisions against us and was putrid

Hey look on the bright side , we won the free kick count ! A very rare occurrence indeed.

The four GWS supporters would've been fuming after being the latest victim of playing against the umpires perennial and inexplicable favorites , the Western Bulldogs.

Free kick count at full time was 17-5.

Five free kicks for an entire game ? Is that a record ?

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Can't believe I am still reading the 'Houli is soft' type comments.
Being that I have a masters degree in Houli Courage , I'll give you my expert opinion.

He'll never be Dylan Grimes or Alex Rance in that area , but very few are.

The way I see it is , the confidence Bachar clearly took out of his 2017 GF performance has allowed him to take his game to another level in every facet of it , courage included.

He does what he has to now in that area and I have zero issues with it.

Truth is , he's been an excellent player since that 2017 GF and will be vital to this years tilt at the flag.

If people wanna come at me saying he was just the same prior to the 2017 GF , then don't bother coz I will sum it up now by saying that I strongly disagree.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I will stand by my assessment of Houli’s 2018 prelim performance when he refused to stand in the hole when it was his turn to go.
Having said that, since the 2017 finals series he has been bloody magnificent. We are a significantly better team with him in it. His ground ball attack in the last few seconds on Sunday was electric and lifted me from my seat.

Only Dusty and Grimesy do that to me regularly.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I havnt had an issue with Houli since late 2017.
He wasnt showing much courage for quite a few weeks and pulling out of contests to avoid contact or not going hard when he should, the boys pulled him aside and confronted him about it and he lifted that aspect of his game and Ive not seen him shirk too many since.
He should have won the norm smith in that granny.

Even in the last 20 secs of the eagles game when they belt one forward its Houli who is running 100 mph in between guys pounces on it and boots into our 50, if he didnt do that who knows where that ball was going to bounce to, perhaps a tiger, perhaps an eagle who runs inside 50 and makes it a draw.

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I havnt had an issue with Houli since late 2017.
He wasnt showing much courage for quite a few weeks and pulling out of contests to avoid contact or not going hard when he should, the boys pulled him aside and confronted him about it
Think I heard something along those lines at the time too ? Where did you hear that TH ?

One incident sums it up for me. Against the Bulldogs earlier this season Bachar copped a hospital pass and had to go back with the flight.

Now his usual action in that situation would be to turn with the flight of the ball so that he's facing the oncoming player(s) and opt to rove the (possible) contest front and centre. And if there is no contest , then the opposition player coming at the ball simply marks it uncontested.

But on this occasion he didn't do that. He backed up , kept his eye on the flight of the ball and tried to mark it.

It didn't look at all natural and he more than flinched , meaning he didn't take the mark...but neither did the opposition !

He did what he had to do , and that's all you can ask.

Turns out it was his lucky day , coz not only did he receive a charity free kick from it , but the opposition player storming at the contest with a chance to crunch Bachar was....Caleb Daniel !

He should have won the norm smith in that granny
Nah they got it right I reckon. Dusty BOG , but there were a couple of others in the mix. Lambert & Houli come to mind.

Reactions: Broadsword

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Dusty BOG , but there were a couple of others in the mix. Lambert & Houli come to mind.
You don't want to get ahead of yourself, but I reckon the Norm Smith judges may have a similar conundrum on their hands this year. Houli or Martin?

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Think I heard something along those lines at the time too ? Where did you hear that TH ?

Can’t really remember I think one of the players said it.

He has been offered a 1 year extension now so will be a tiger still next year

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 8, 2010
Watching the replay the work of Lynch tapping the ball forward from marking contests was really important - I think that was a specific instruction to exploit West Coast defence. The best was when he tapped onto Dusty who kicked the ball into Two Phones. Really dangerous (and funny).

His scrapping and 1 percenters were also important - Nick Riewoldt highlighted on Monday night on the final play that his cousin goaled on.