What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Dons here

Round 6 Richmond v Melbourne

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
Wednesday 24 April, 7:35 pm

B Nathan Broad, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes

HB Nick Vlastuin, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli

C Brandon Ellis, Dion Prestia, Kamdyn McIntosh

HF Daniel Rioli, Jack Ross, Jason Castagna

F Jack Riewoldt, Tom J. Lynch, Dustin Martin

Fol Toby Nankervis, Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert

I/C Noah Balta, Liam Baker, Jack Higgins, Sydney Stack

Emg Connor Menadue, Jack Graham, Ivan Soldo, Shai Bolton

In: Jack Riewoldt

Out: Shai Bolton (Omitted)
[hr]
The Demons have made 5 changes, 2 from injury, 3 omitted.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
It's going to be interesting to see how our taller, slower forward line operates.
Will 2 talls and 2 small quicks function better than our successful 1 tall and 3 small quicks.

Assuming it'll be a dry weather game, I think the 3 talls(Balta) will be a plus. In the wet, 3 small quicks should be more damaging.

The Eagles were exposed in the wet, their 3 tall forwards, keepings off intercept marking game plan completely unsuitable to the conditions.

Good to see Rioli recover from his corky and Balta stay in the team, we're batting pretty deep for Bolton to be dropped.

Hoping for a much needed percentage booster this week.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Riewoldt. PCL type injury. “Will miss footy” according to dimma.

Some great signs tonight. Only players down were Shedda, Dusty and Rioli for mine.

Nank at risk of getting a week - I’m hopeful the impact was low enough for a fine.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Yellow Sash Award voting for this match is open: https://yellowandblack.com.au/aflm-round-6-richmond-v-melbourne/

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
I’m loving Sydney Stack, remember this kid only was picked up in December and he is a very hard at it player and Viney still doesn’t know where he is.
He can take a great grab and although doesn’t get it much is very composed when he does get it and rarely wastes it.

Readie9

Foundation Member
Aug 5, 2003
Sydney Stack has me thinking he is a mix between Byron Pickett & Andrew McLeod. The mind boggles what this kid is capable of. On the post game radio last night (SEN), they reported that Peter Sumich said that he is the most gifted footballer to come out of the WA junior system that he had ever seen.

Despite the knocks on him & his apparent commitment issues, I find it amazing that no team even risked a rookie spot on him. All in all, RFC are the lucky recipients via that SSP rule (or whatever it is). SEN also said that his 1 year rookie contract will undoubtedly be significantly increased before too long. I bet there are 2 western based clubs kicking themselves over losing this guy. Perhaps Harley Bennell has put them off taking a punt.

I wonder how Jack Viney pulled up this morning. Hopefully, his old man Todd, told him that 'in my day, we copped these every week'. Suck it up Princess.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
We won VFL vs Casey by 1 pt with Bolton the best there with 25 and 11 tackles
Weller and Graham injured before half time

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Bolton is really stepping up this year. Shows a lot of maturity to be dropped (after playing pretty well) and going back to VFL level and dominating.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
a lot of people , both sides really poo pooed this game

I could see the Dees really up for the fight , it was a dour arm wrestle
the Dees competed with real intent and had some very slick set plays
with all that we beat them by over 40 points
it was looking like later in the game they ran out of ideas on how to crack our defense

cudos to our back 6 , they were awesome
they are very well drilled at killing the ball in the air
then at ground level we are very good at spreading from the contest and finding those spares

we look like we are finding new ways to get our chaos ball rolling
its not back to its best but is building

I thought Jack was looking fresh and awesome , a real pitty about his PCL

Castagna might have finally got that monkey off his back , while I can see why he attracts a lot of criticism he is a big part of our forward pressure
and things seem to happen when he gets involved

Baker had a good game , he appears to be a real work horse , he didn't make the most of his opportunities near goal , a senior player could have had 10 goals across the Swans & Dees games , miss kicks and fumbles , if he clicks with only half of them we'd be singing his praises like we are with Stack
can he play like that consistently , will his pace be an issue longer term ???

Rioli - is a little out of sorts but looks like he's ready to bust out

Dusty - similar

KMac - we had discussions here about him preseason , he is very comfortable at the moment and a very important part of the team,
he doesn't lose many contests

Ellis - I thought he had a shocker against the Swans , then redeemed himself against the Dee's , works super hard

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
ceehook said:
could Ross and Baker be a part of a Premiership side this year ?
I don't see why not :)

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
The 5 youngest players on the ground against Melbourne - that's an indictment on the Dees.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Baker was highlighted on Coaches Corner this week

the big points they seemed to be making was clean hands , hard working and pressure acts

I'm hoping Baker , Ross & Higgins can keep improving

My concerns with their output right now in big game moments the likes of Dangerfield , Selwood, Cripps, Zach Merret, Pendlebury , The Bont, Boak, Gray , Wines , Cunnington, Lachie Neale etc will brush them aside and win key contests

I'm also grappling with our method , where structures and roles are important

I would put the work rate and skill levels of Baker , Ross & Higgins have got us wins over Swans , Pork & Dees , none are flying high at the moment

But for a prelim final and a GF do we need Dusty , Cotch , Prestia & Edwards imposing themselves on the game ?

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
ceehook said:
I would put the work rate and skill levels of Baker , Ross & Higgins  have got us wins over Swans , Pork & Dees  , none are flying high at the moment

But for a prelim final and a GF do we need  Dusty , Cotch , Prestia & Edwards imposing themselves on the game ?
Good point, we haven't beaten anyone off note this season, and were belted by the 2 teams of note that we played.

Hardwick and co need to get the team chemistry right without for varying lengths of time Rance, JR, Cotch, Butler and Graham, and with Lynch, Balta, Stack, Ross and Baker in the mix.

There is still a lot of up side to the Tigers, the culture, attitude and ability all seem to be there, it's just a matter of getting the best out of it by September.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
You guys saw that Port spanked West Coast right? Currently 5th on the ladder.

Apr 8, 2010
Common denominator between Port and ourselves is their young players are also playing out of their skins. For both can we keep it up. They have the Pies this week which will test where they are at.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
@Vines The unknown is West Coast, who were woeful against Geelong too.

I agree our win in Adelaide was very good, only reservation is how good are Port.

Let's see how they go against the Pies this week.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
The other thing to consider would be that after Carlton in round 1 and losing Rance, each team would’ve really fancied their chances to knock us off. Then add injuries to Cotch and Jack and Short, plus Dusty suspension for the Port game and the 5 kids we are playing each week and I reckon all our wins have serious merit.