What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Dons here

AFL Men Round 8 Fremantle v Richmond

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
We’re coming off a loss that we didn’t see coming.

This match has come at a good time as the guys usually use interstate trips to get together as a group. Let’s see how they rebound this week.

I’ll write a preview later this week, but right now I’m looking at who should go out and who should come in. Watching the VFL win over Williamstown at the weekend, I think that Garthwaite and Butler showed that they are ready for promotion. If Balta needs a rest, we may consider playing Chol. Egglemosse-Smith and Soldo are chances as well. We may have a few more injured with Rioli, Vlastuin, and Nankervis all under a cloud.

Thursday team selections may be interesting.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I'm wondering how the 2017 mantra of players having fun is going this year with so many new players and the loss of talented experienced players.

Will Hardwick attempt to micro manage again if we continue to struggle on field.

Is it possible for the club to keep the atmosphere more 2017 than 2016 given the hidings we've copped.

For this week, I expect Astbury to return, and Rioli will probably need a week off to recover from his injury so Butler should return. If Flossy is out I don't know who can step up and fill that role. Menadue out too for Townsend possibly.

Last edited:

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
getting the balance right in defence is important
and by defence meaning one on one defending against key position types
with Rance and Astbury out it left the load to Grimmes , Vlas & Broad and Houli as a third man up option

Bringing in Menadue , to replace Astbury instead of Garthwaite (like for like) does look a mistake , there are enough times in a game where you will have players caught one on one and they have to cope with body on body and handle the ariel defense

The other issue for the match committee and coaches will be the picking apart of our defensive structure
Setting up our umbrella like defence structure behind the ball has been highly successful but more and more the opposition are picking it apart or we aren't executing it well enough

terry31

Listed Player
Jan 15, 2014
Hello, it's been a while,
But, we need a tall up forward, Lynch needs help, if not a tall a Townsend might do.
Time to experiment a bit. Chol, Coleman -Jones, Soldo, surely we need to get a game out of these guys.
Our 2017 strategy worked in 2017, but Collingwood have worked us out, and now a few others seemed to have seen the light.
We can't keep playing smalls. Mason Cox, and that tall guy with the dogs, Cameron, and the number of marks we concede a match. Give the reins back to Caracella and change things around.
We have been cruelled with injury, maybe reached a tipping point. Dusty needs Cotch to make him really shine. So let's give the Naish's and co a run. At least over the next couple of weeks. Winning is going to be hard but we will be ok.
I need a run, I'm very rusty.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
This game i would be Doing

Outs -
Vlastuin
Rioli - both inj
Bolton - unlucky but not showing enough
Menadue - doesn’t know how to play once hits AFL
Castagna - works hard but it’s not enough lately

Ins -

Butler
Astbury
Townsend
Naish
Collier Dawkins

Butler has to come in to replace Rioli and Castagna
Townsend in for same reason but different position to help out Lynch down forward can also go in guts
Naish has been dominant all year in VFL
Dawkins has been good last 2
The shining part of our year is youth, they want it and have passion where I think a lot of our senior blokes have lost it
Give these 2 a game to give us some spark again

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Naish got the Coaches Corner this week. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s in for Menadue.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Watched a replay of the first 1/2 of the Bulldogs game, we really dominated the last 1/2 of the 2nd 1/4 but kicked 5 straight behinds before Houli finally goaled from a lucky free kick. That was after leading at 1/4 time.

Of concern is the lack of 4 1/4 effort, which was our strength in the latter part of the 2017. Whether that's the newbies or the experienced players who are disappearing for periods I don't know, but when the effort's there we compete well.

We don't seem to have the defensive pressure right this year, which has been our strength since 2017. And Townsend was a big part of that when we really rose in this dept late in 2017, as was Graham. These 2 and Butler probable ins, doubt they'll want any more debutants in the team.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Watched a replay of the first 1/2 of the Bulldogs game, we really dominated the last 1/2 of the 2nd 1/4 but kicked 5 straight behinds before Houli finally goaled from a lucky free kick. That was after leading at 1/4 time.

Of concern is the lack of 4 1/4 effort, which was our strength in the latter part of the 2017. Whether that's the newbies or the experienced players who are disappearing for periods I don't know, but when the effort's there we compete well.

We don't seem to have the defensive pressure right this year, which has been our strength since 2017. And Townsend was a big part of that when we really rose in this dept late in 2017, as was Graham. These 2 and Butler probable ins, doubt they'll want any more debutants in the team.

Graham did his hammy last week he won’t be in anywhere for a couple weeks

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Naish as well, he’s been the most consistent VFL player all year and not rewarded whilst guys who are very much not performing in AFL keep racking up games

Good to see they will give Lynch a chop out too ????

Only way it’s possible is if Soldo gets a gig. ( doubtful) and Nank goes forward mostly

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Odds on for ins are Butler and Astbury, we don't have anyone who can reasonably fill Flossy's role.

Yes, I was hoping Townsend would be Lynch's chop out, they seem to be grooming Balta for that role.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Townsend badly rolled an ankle in the VFL last Sunday and wont be getting a gig anywhere for some time

astbury & Garth Def ins , as in they have boarded the plane ?

Ross Lyon has got Freo's defensive game back up to where it used to be (listen to opposition analysis)

Freo have had a month of good footy (2 wins incl GWS in Canberra) so no push over at home

when we move the ball quick I think we are super hard to defend
will we do it enough to chalk up a win ?

The side on paper can do it , but will they land in Perth with the right attitude ?

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Townsend badly rolled an ankle in the VFL last Sunday and wont be getting a gig anywhere for some time
That must be the only reason Menadue kept his spot, no suitable replacement available.

The 2 ins is an admission by the MC that they erred at selection last week by not replacing Astbury with a similar player.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Broad and Menadue in
So.....gee....will watch with interest how that goes.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Really should have switched Menedue and Butler I think. Can't feel confident with Menedue.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Menadue can play he just lacks confidence for some reaon at AFL level to play like he can , if he took game on like he can he’s be a very good player but just goes timid at the higher level, same for Markov

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
You'd wonder what the issue is. He does do very good things at times. Four seasons and still playing like its his first.
Is it the coaches not letting them do their thing ( him and Markov ) to do more team oriented structures ?

I think what would suit both is playing similar to Houli attacking off half back but perhaps that’s where the timidness comes in that they won’t play their natural game and more worried if it’s turned over they are going to cop it as they don’t have the clout of Houli to get away with it

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
I few seasons ago Menadue came good after a few shakey games and was playing some good footy, pretty sure he got in the best players for a game or 2, but was dropped to make way for a favourite, likely Conca. He's seemingly never recovered.

Sad because he fleetingly showed he has the ability to be a good player, pity we/he can't utilise his speed to the team's advantage.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005

He must be a god then coz he’s listed as kicking a goal today :p

74 point win and Naish 4

Surely he debuts next week
Not only our next vfl player but has to be leading the whole comp