What's new
  • Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• Cast your Yellow Sash Award votes for the match v the Giants here
  • Yellow Sash Award Top 5 after Round 16

1. Grimes - 50.10
    2. Prestia - 48.00
    3. Vlastuin - 44.53
    4. Stack - 44.37
    5. Edwards - 42.74

View the full list here

• UPDATED!

AFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 17. View the stats totals here.

VFL Men - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 15. View the stats totals here.

VFL Women - statistics for each match are now up to date as of Round 10. View the stats totals here.

AFL Men Round 9 v Hawthorn

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The first of the matches that I'll miss while I'm overseas :(

Hawks coming off an unexpected win last week against GWS and us from a big win over the Dockers. Who will carry that form into this game? I'm hoping that it's us of course!

With Vlastuin and possibly Rioli available for return and injuries to Ross and Nankervis, I see the changes as:

OUT: Nankervis (inj), Ross (inj), Menedue (unlucky)
IN: Soldo, Vlastuin, Rioli

I toyed with the idea of playing Chol as a forward/relief ruck with Balta as the main ruck, but I think that McEvoy would be too strong. Balta would provide more mobility around the ground and could expose McEvoy running forward. Would love to see it, but I think that the match committee will go with the cautious approach.

Menedue played a very good game against the Dockers so would be unlucky to miss out. Not sure who else could make way for Vlastuin.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Not sure that Rioli would come up. He was battered and the video of him at home had him walking like a 90 year old. Expect he might miss another week.

That means it would be Soldo and Vlaustuin in.

It is actually a good time to find out about Soldo and if he has continued his development. AFL indicate he has so now he has a few weeks at the top level for him to show his ability. Looking for this to be another success story.

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
Not sure that Rioli would come up. He was battered and the video of him at home had him walking like a 90 year old. Expect he might miss another week.

That means it would be Soldo and Vlaustuin in.

It is actually a good time to find out about Soldo and if he has continued his development. AFL indicate he has so now he has a few weeks at the top level for him to show his ability. Looking for this to be another success story.
I try to watch bits of the VFL on my phone when possible
with poor internet , old eyes and a small screen I can only pick out a handful of players
Chol is very easy to pick out , Bolton by the way he moves
and Soldo because he is so bloody tall

Soldo looks good at VFL level and not just winning taps because he is tall but showing footy smarts ,
so I hope he does get a run of games to show his worth
he has certainly contributed to our high standings in the VFL (currently top :) )

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Great win and with 2 injuries

I’d have out

Nank, Ross, Broad, Higgins

Broad has been down on form lately
Thrown into ruck and FF last week but still only had 8 touches, with grimes, Vlastuin, Astbury and Garthwaite down there we have enough height

Higgins has been down on form for a while

Ins

Soldo, Rioli, Vlastuin and the debut of Naish

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
In - Soldo, Coleman Jones, Dawkins, Vlastuin, Rioli, Townsend

Out - Nankervis Ross

Naish can’t even get a gig in extended squad, he should start looking for a new club :p

ceehook

Listed Player
Feb 6, 2004
will they go Soldo for Nank

or Rioli & Vlas in and ruck with Balta & Broad ???

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Dawkins is only guy not playing vfl
We like to have a guy just incase of warmup injury so not likely debuting

So far this game Naish again our best
Chol playing well and Butler stands out when it comes to him inside 50

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Naish can’t be far away and Butler and Rioli will make it back you would think

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
It was surprising seeing Rioli running around in the VFL, only because he's a Hardwick favourite, and also Dawkins apparently on standby for the AFL rather than Rioli.

Glad they kept Baker, Bolton and Menadue in the team, Butler and Rioli in the 2's shows our depth and how tough it is to get a game for the smaller attacking players.

Hopefully Soldo steps up and we play the Richmond way against the Hawks who'll try and stop us from doing that, as they stopped GWS playing their way last week.

Crusher

Site Immortal
Jan 15, 2008
The Free Kick Hawthorn game.......2-12 at halftime
We don't have backs obviously!

Last edited:

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Baker seems to be struggling a little. Twice in that first half was slow to react when getting possession of the ball and turned it over both times when we looked threatening. Here’s hoping that he has a better second half.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Baker seems to be struggling a little. Twice in that first half was slow to react when getting possession of the ball and turned it over both times when we looked threatening. Here’s hoping that he has a better second half.
In fairness he did. Castagna had a very quiet game though

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
The thing I noticed that made me very happy was Dusty calling others in to get around Lynch in the 4th quarter. Leadership from Dusty.

Also, Cadds can’t be far away from being called “T-Rex”. His little short arm tens after kicking a goal are on notice.

Vlastuin and Grimes deserve AA recognition for the seasons they’re having.

tommy_g

Rookie
Jun 12, 2012
We just keep on notching up wins. It feels like a similar seasons to Collingwood last year with our injuries, but we are notching up the wins along the way and probably won't require a big run to make finals.

Not many passengers yesterday. Some of the delivery to Lynch was quite good yesterday hitting him at his highest point, you can't defend against that.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Hawks aren't really playing like the top 4 side they were last year...except that last week they obliterated GWS who everyone seems to love.

I heard Clarkson mention that his team were young and inexperienced while we weren't...or words to that effect. The AFL.com article then pointed out they had 7 players with under 30 games experience - I looked at our side...I think we had 7 with under 30 games experience as well.

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Houli continues to be under rated by supporters. He runs all day and I noticed several time yesterday when a handball went wrong he followed up and corrected.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Houli has improved out of site since the players called him out on his deficiencies back in 2017.

Menadue and Bolton unfortunately didn’t bring their past weeks form into this weeks making it easy for MC to bring in Rioli and Naish, I hope Bolton stays as it is Dreamtime so let’s see if he can produce on a big night for him

Castagna was very quiet.

Dusty had his old boots on and bought his old form with it

Still would like help for Lynch, it goes to him and they team him if someone else is there with him like Balta it will make it harder for opponents

Soldo I thought was quite good and will improve

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Butler was also very good in the reserves so Castagna may find a swap to the 2,s as well