AFL Men Round19 Collingwood vs Richmond

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

• ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Congratulations to Dion Prestia - 2019 Jack Dyer Medal winner

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Really impressed with a couple of lesser names down back in Broad and Baker. Never thought Baker would be big enough down back but he is very smart and Broad's running is a highlight. He gets to so many spots that block up traffic but doesn't receive a stat

Reactions: Gracie

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Broad has really stepped up in the last half of the season. So impressed with him.
He had a quiet patch a few weeks ago, but I agree that his last couple of weeks in particular have been really good.

tommy_g

Rookie
Jun 12, 2012
Broad is reminding me a bit of Grimes in his first few years.. Just works so hard with his gut running to get involved in as many contests as possible.

Reactions: Vosstiger

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
What a win. And since I have about 8 Collingwood supporting mates (community service to the downtrodden, poor and just plain unlucky) and everyone of them sent texts after our round 2 loss and now silence is golden. Loving it

herky

Recruit
Aug 25, 2016
What a win. And since I have about 8 Collingwood supporting mates (community service to the downtrodden, poor and just plain unlucky) and everyone of them sent texts after our round 2 loss and now silence is golden. Loving it
Watched the game with two Collingwood mates, didn't hear boo after 15 minute mark. Invited them back Saturday to watch the replay of the 1st quarter and very politely got told 'No thank you very much'* The best weekend so far this year lol
* Translated for moderation

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Blah we made Cox look good in the prelim last year. No pressure on the kicker of the inside 50 and no-one blocking his leading paths.

At least we let him play well so his mum and dad continued to love him.

Reactions: Coach

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
No pressure on the kicker of the inside 50 and no-one blocking his leading paths.
You mean like every time Collingwood have thrashed the likes of Gold Coast , Carlton , St.Kilda , Bulldogs , Freo , Melb , Brisbane etc by 15 goals during Cox's career ?

Well guess what ? Just like every other game he's ever played besides the 2018 Prelim , he didn't touch the ball in any of those games either , so I 100% stand by my post.

It's one of the all-time greatest sporting anomalies , and it had little to do with how Richmond played.

Anyhows , that was the flag that got away. Not too often a team finishes 2 games and 15% clear on top of the ladder and doesn't even make the GF !

But redemption is nigh , we have a more talented list than in 2017 and our march towards Premiership Cup #12 started with a sweet little birthday gift to Nathan last Friday night.

Chris Scott has all but admiited he's scared of us , so Geelong are no threat.

Tiges v WC Grand Final.

Tiges by 6 goals.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
You mean like every time Collingwood have thrashed the likes of Gold Coast , Carlton , St.Kilda , Bulldogs , Freo , Melb , Brisbane etc by 15 goals during Cox's career ?

Well guess what ? Just like every other game he's ever played besides the 2018 Prelim , he didn't touch the ball in any of those games either , so I 100% stand by my post.

It's one of the all-time greatest sporting anomalies , and it had little to do with how Richmond played.

Anyhows , that was the flag that got away. Not too often a team finishes 2 games and 15% clear on top of the ladder and doesn't even make the GF !

But redemption is nigh , we have a more talented list than in 2017 and our march towards Premiership Cup #12 started with a sweet little birthday gift to Nathan last Friday night.

Tiges v WC Grand Final.

Tiges by 6 goals.
That’s what I heard too...
They were a little upset about the boos...

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005

Tiges v WC Grand Final.

Tiges by 6 goals.
Not sure what you are on about @Black agree with you it was a huge anomaly

But we did not play him anywhere near how we did on the Friday night.

In the 2018 Pre Lim we allowed the Collingwood midfielders to do as they pleased, especially Sidebottom. No pressure on the inside 50 kicks is gold to Cox. Compounding that Astbury was not himself and trailed Cox everytime and he did not have any help from any teammate coming over the top. Nor anyone blocking Cox's leads.

We played badly in that game.

But sliver lining is that as a result Collingwood have continued to rely on him to repeat that performance and he is incapable of doing so, unless he is in clear ground and the ball is kicked perfectly to him.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Not sure what you are on about @Black agree with you it was a huge anomaly

But we did not play him anywhere near how we did on the Friday night.

In the 2018 Pre Lim we allowed the Collingwood midfielders to do as they pleased, especially Sidebottom. No pressure on the inside 50 kicks is gold to Cox. Compounding that Astbury was not himself and trailed Cox everytime and he did not have any help from any teammate coming over the top. Nor anyone blocking Cox's leads.

We played badly in that game.

But sliver lining is that as a result Collingwood have continued to rely on him to repeat that performance and he is incapable of doing so, unless he is in clear ground and the ball is kicked perfectly to him.
So should Cox take over Sam Pang's nickname of "The Orchid"?

• Haha

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Not sure what you are on about @Black

Yeh I prolly coulda been more succinct there lol.

My point was that he's been truly awful in every game he's ever played , prior to and since the Prelim.

He gets my vote for the most consistently shitful player in the AFL for the past decade.

But sliver lining is that as a result Collingwood have continued to rely on him to repeat that performance and he is incapable of doing so , unless he is in clear ground and the ball is kicked perfectly to him

* sentence moderated for factual purposes *

The Pre Lim

I think I know the joint ?

The little Chinese restaurant on Collins St yeh ?

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
I still blame Mick Molloy for the prelim.
I blame the AFL's ridiculous but typical knee jerk reaction to the second most compromised game in AFL history.

The end of season bye.

It was my biggest concern. Having played only 1 game in 27 days leading into a goddam Prelim , that we might take 15 mins to find our match day touch , and if the opposition gets lucky before we regain our touch , they may kick goals and grab the momentum.

And that's exactly how it played out , but because we're such a good team we managed to outscore them after qtr time.

If we finish top 4 this year and win our first final , we oughtta ask Carlton if they wouldn't mind playing a practice match against us on the weekend prior to the Prelim and tell Teague that his players can go as hard as they like against us.

That'll ensure it's bruise free , but will give us a nice , solid hit out leading into the 2nd biggest game of the year.

Playing 1 game in 27 days ? Pffft !

Reactions: Bones

Broadsword

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2009
Is there any truth to the story that a third of the team had flu or food poisoning for the prelim? Anything to do with that joint on Collins St?

Reactions: Black

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I blame the AFL's ridiculous but typical knee jerk reaction to the second most compromised game in AFL history.

The end of season bye.

It was my biggest concern. Having played only 1 game in 27 days leading into a goddam Prelim , that we might take 15 mins to find our match day touch , and if the opposition gets lucky before we regain our touch , they may kick goals and grab the momentum.

And that's exactly how it played out , but because we're such a good team we managed to outscore them after qtr time.

If we finish top 4 this year and win our first final , we oughtta ask Carlton if they wouldn't mind playing a practice match against us on the weekend prior to the Prelim and tell Teague that his players can go as hard as they like against us.

That'll ensure it's bruise free , but will give us a nice , solid hit out leading into the 2nd biggest game of the year.

Playing 1 game in 27 days ? Pffft !
Didn't hurt us in 2017....

Black

Site Immortal
Jul 10, 2006
Didn't hurt us in 2017....
I knew that was coming , so here's a dish I prepared earlier.

We kicked a goal in the first 20 seconds of the corresponding 2017 game , but we didn't play well at all in that 1st qtr. In fact , it was as bad as we'd played for 10 weeks.

The blessing was that GWS had to front up and try to beat us with the largest , most one sided crowd you're ever likely to see going against them , and at a ground where they'd won only once in their entire history.

We were never gonna lose that game.

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
I knew that was coming , so here's a dish I prepared earlier.

We kicked a goal in the first 20 seconds of the corresponding 2017 game , but we didn't play well at all in that 1st qtr. In fact , it was as bad as we'd played for 10 weeks.

The blessing was that GWS had to front up and try to beat us with the largest , most one sided crowd you're ever likely to see going against them , and at a ground where they'd won only once in their entire history.

We were never gonna lose that game.
It's a bit like Chris Scott saying they should play all their finals at Kardinia Park and it's unfair blah blah.
Whilst I get what he's saying, it's not mattered in the past when the Cats were good enough to beat MCG tenants at the MCG (Pies and Hawks). But the one year they finish 2nd and have to play the Tigers and get booed, and then get flogged by 50 points, it's unfair.

Shit is only unfair if you lose...if you win, it's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black and Vosstiger

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
It's a bit like Chris Scott saying they should play all their finals at Kardinia Park and it's unfair blah blah.
Whilst I get what he's saying, it's not mattered in the past when the Cats were good enough to beat MCG tenants at the MCG (Pies and Hawks). But the one year they finish 2nd and have to play the Tigers and get booed, and then flogged by 50 points, it's unfair.

Shit is only unfair if you lose...if you win, it's fine.
One game in 27 days didn't hurt West Coast...It would have helped if Collingwood didn't kick straight and we did in that first half

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
In 2018 we were off the boil in the latter part of the season and could not get it going again. Pretty much like Geelong and Collingwood are this year.

We are back in hungry hunting mode and I will back us to perform at any ground.