Site Software update

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
As I mentioned in the Site Survey post, I have been busy lately working on shaping how Yellow and Black will look going into the 2015 season and beyond. One of the things that I have been keen to incorporate into Y & B is original content which was also viewed favourably by those who responded to the survey. I am under no illusion that this may take some time to gain momentum, but I believe that it is worth the initial teething problems to get this site where it needs to be. There are some wonderful blogs out there and I want to capture that essence at Y & B!

The first step is to have the software platform to support these contributions. I believe that I now have the ability to do this through the use of Wordpress (blog software) and Xenforo (forum software). The next step is to call on those people who indicated that they would be willing to contribute 1 article every 1-2 months. It is my intention to have original articles shown on the homepage along with match information rather than merely reposting articles from the RFC site and media outlets. I want to showcase the articles created by members, not merely reposting media information. There is a place for that as well, just not as a site highlight!

I have shared the test URL with members of the Coaching Panel and some select members. I am hoping to have most of the bugs and annoyances ironed out in the next week so that I can perform another trial migration and get things setup as required.

I am aiming to make this new software live before Round 1, so I have tentatively looked at March 15 and 16 to make the change. By my calculations, the site should be in transition (i.e. unavailable for new posts) for approximately 3 hours. I haven't set a definite time yet, but my ideal start time would be around 11PM on the 15th. I will confirm the details closer to the time.

I'll post more information soon. In the meantime, I'm happy to respond to your questions regarding the change.

If you would like to put your hand up to contribute an article every 1-2 months, please PM me or e-mail me at coach@yellowandblack.com.au.

thebigricho

Site Immortal
Apr 15, 2006
Having a mental blank and can't find how to PM you [MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] but would love to contribute articles.

Rumpole

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2010
Having a mental blank and can't find how to PM you [MENTION=1]Ned[/MENTION] but would love to contribute articles.
I will also be happy to submit articles. Tempted to write one about how last year I had a better time at VFL games at Punt Rd than sitting up on high at the MCG. Might be because the games I saw at the MCG were not played at our attacking best.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I'm happy to report that the migration has been a success in that all users and posts have made it to the new software.

There are many items I still need to attend to and haven't yet been able to test all the functionality so there may well be some deficiencies!

It's now 2:45am and I have to get to sleep so I can get up for work in the morning, so I will have to attend to these fixes later today. All I ask is for you to be patient and I'll get things fixed up as soon as I can. I haven't been able to get the Wordpress side of things working yet, but hope to have that in play soon.

In the meantime, I hope that you're able to read the posts here and hopefully able to post as well!

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
Of course we can @Ned you have excelled. The new site looks and feels great and that is only at the start. Nice to see members putting their hands up for articles. This will be a good evolution for the family at Yellow & Black

Ms Tantie

Recruit
Apr 7, 2008
AGH! Please can we have a 'new posts' button on the start page, and somewhere obvious? It lists them down the righthand side, but they're not clickable!

Plus, animated avatars aren't working... :(

It's your site @Ned and, of course, yours to do with as you wish (and I'm very grateful for your spending the time and expense to give us all this forum). But change seemingly for the sake of it can be frustrating for many. The site as it was worked beautifully.

Befuddled.
Ms Tantie.
xox

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Did you not read my earlier posts as to why I've installed the software and that I'm working through things to improve it? I don't post updates to keep myself amused you know!

Cheers!

Ned

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
AGH! Please can we have a 'new posts' button on the start page, and somewhere obvious? It lists them down the righthand side, but they're not clickable!

Plus, animated avatars aren't working... :(

It's your site @Ned and, of course, yours to do with as you wish (and I'm very grateful for your spending the time and expense to give us all this forum). But change seemingly for the sake of it can be frustrating for many. The site as it was worked beautifully.

Befuddled.
Ms Tantie.
xox
The last 25 posts are now listed on the homepage and are clickable.

The last time we used this software, the same issue arose. A simple search of this site found this solution: http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/community/threads/gif-avatars.98808/#post-1421075

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
Don't mind it at all Ned...Charlize appears bigger. Always a good thing.

Gracie

Site Immortal
Jun 1, 2005
Have been going to the old page and kept seeing the under construction tag and wondered why it was taking Ned so long......

Finally saw the link to the new set up DOH

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Have been going to the old page and kept seeing the under construction tag and wondered why it was taking Ned so long......

Finally saw the link to the new set up DOH
You can thank @Gimme for letting me know about that one!

seenitall

Site Immortal
Jul 2, 2004
Burwood East
Just noticed that I am unable to post a response in the Introduction thread - the message says "(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)" - at a guess, this doesn't just affect me, as no-one else has greeted Redhead, either.

BigTigerCasey

Recruit
Feb 5, 2008
I will also be happy to submit articles. Tempted to write one about how last year I had a better time at VFL games at Punt Rd than sitting up on high at the MCG. Might be because the games I saw at the MCG were not played at our attacking best.
Me too Horace. Loved the VFL games and the atmosphere, especially the double header(s)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Just noticed that I am unable to post a response in the Introduction thread - the message says "(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)" - at a guess, this doesn't just affect me, as no-one else has greeted Redhead, either.
I think that I've fixed the issue. Sorry about that :)

seenitall

Site Immortal
Jul 2, 2004
Burwood East
The Home Page doesn't work too well - is the "yellow and black" logo/masthead too large & having a negative effect on appearance & navigation?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
The Home Page doesn't work too well - is the "yellow and black" logo/masthead too large & having a negative effect on appearance & navigation?
Are you asking me? I guess it depends on the resolution of your pc/laptop - it looks fine to me, but I have a high resolution desktop.

If there is an issue, please take a screenshot of what it is so that I can see what you see.

justmike

Listed Player
Jul 25, 2005
I noticed this, it's just before you enter the main section of the forum.

I have done some designs for your consideration @Ned attached to this post.

This is what the site currently looks like:

[attachment=o10266]

After you apply the banner I have designed:

[attachment=o10265]

The banner itself:

[attachment=o10267]

I have also noticed in responsive view (mobile or tablet without using an app) the menu needs better contrasting colours:

[attachment=o10264]

My suggestions of course is black background and yellow text.

On the homepage as well, when scrolling down, the nav sits on top of the banner:

[attachment=o10269]

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks @justmike ! Your banner is now on the homepage.

I'll work on the responsive design shortly.