Tiger Trade Talk

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • ✅ AFL Premiers 2019
    ✅ VFL Premiers 2019
  • Welcome to Tigerland

AFL Women AFL Men
    Sophie Molan (GWV Rebels) Laura McClelland (Eastern Ranges) Seven
    Ella Wood (GMV Rebels) Sarah Sansonetti (Northern Knights) Selections
    Holly Whitford (Melbourne University) Nekaela Butler (GWV Rebels) Available
    Cleo Saxon-Jones (Western Jets) Laura Bailey (Richmond VFLW)
    Emma Horne (Richmond VFLW) Kate Dempsey (Richmond VFLW)
    Ciara Fitzgerald (Northern Knights) Emily Harley (Oakleigh Chargers)
    Lauren Tesoriero (Richmond VFLW)
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
On the 6 day break, with uncertainty surrounding Graham and Broad, it was prudent to ensure there were a couple of fresh bodies.

the harsh reality is, the club exists to win AFL flags NOT VFL flags. So, if pulling a couple guys out to ensure it gave us the best chance to win the AFL flag is what they decide to do then so be it.
It still makes no sense how pulling a couple of guys out from a Reserves grand final match gives us the best chance to win the AFL flag. What better preparation can they have for an AFL grand final.

Our senior team had a very intense game the same weekend as the VFL grand final, and benefited immensely from the hit out, as seen on Grand Final day. Pickett too had a great match conditioning hit out in the VFL grand final.

There was no risk KMac and Ross would be fatigued from too much game time, the great risk if they had played in the AFL grand final was they'd be under done.

Yes the club exists to win AFL grand finals, but there was no benefit, in fact quite the contrary, from pulling them from the VFL grand final.

And given the fact that Broad was a good chance to play, even more reason for KMac to have played in the VFL grand final.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerHardwick

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
We got pick 39 for Ellis ????

Crows got 47 for Yolmen ????

Afl screwed us
Ellis was a first round pick for us in the draft, and has been a regular player in a top 4 multi premiership team, but he's only worth a 2nd round pick LoL.

The real reason is the AFL think we are too good, and as part of their equalisation policy, are trying to bring us down a peg.

Reactions: Redhead

Broadsword

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me. Two guys were in question so two were put on ice. The risk was not fatigue. The risk was injury to Ross and Kmac. What changed? Hardwick said it himself. Pickett started the weekend as fourth choice, then he won the Norm Goss and went passed the other two. We're a selfless team. I'd wager Ross and Kmac would buy into that. No issue for me. Great story though.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Given that Ellis is gone, saw this quote from Rhett Bartlett..............

"Football's greatest stat continues:
No premiership side has ever all played together again in a match"

Can this really be true..............across the entire AFL/VFL. Astounding if so.

Reactions: Broadsword

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me. Two guys were in question so two were put on ice. The risk was not fatigue. The risk was injury to Ross and Kmac. What changed? Hardwick said it himself. Pickett started the weekend as fourth choice, then he won the Norm Goss and went passed the other two. We're a selfless team. I'd wager Ross and Kmac would buy into that. No issue for me. Great story though.
Good points Broady, Kmac is our only decent replacement for Broad, so an under done KMac is better than no KMac.

I wonder who will take over Ellis's place in the team? The obvious suggestion is Pickett.

It would be disappointing to lose KMac.........handy depth player of a type scarce at Richmond.

Looking at the big picture, the pros and cons of being a powerhouse team is fringe players will leave for more opportunity/money, but established players at cellar dweller teams will seek us out to taste success.

Being a powerhouse destination club, still getting my head around this fact.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005

Whilst ripping the Chance away from McIntosh or Ross to also win the norm goss and press their case
K-Mac obviously doesn’t buy into it as he is apparently looking at his options

Vines

Site Immortal
Jun 9, 2008
He is looking at his options because he could be best 22 at freo and he’s from WA. Currently, he’s not best 22 with us. Not saying that won’t change as it did for Ellis...

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Zak Jones has requested a move to saints. Im glad, I wasnt all that keen.
We always knew that, we said we would see how it plays out as saints don’t have much to trade with all trades they are doing and if he doesn’t end up there we would make a play

honestjohn

Listed Player
Nov 25, 2011
Hindsight says just play them and pick the fittest and freshest but the harsh reality is, the club exists to win AFL flags NOT VFL flags. So, if pulling a couple guys out to ensure it gave us the best chance to win the AFL flag is what they decide to do then so be it.
What they could have done is selected Kmac and Ross for the VFL and left them sitting on the bench for the whole game. Or most of it.

Broadsword

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2009
Not sure why it's an issue. Barrett wrote a piece contrasting our decisiveness with selection to that of GWS and praised our conviction. I view the resting of Kmac and Ross as strong leadership. Certainly not a 'mishap.' Certainly not a tarnish on our second cup in three years!

Jools

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 24, 2007
I view the resting of Kmac and Ross as strong leadership. Certainly not a 'mishap.' Certainly not a tarnish on our second cup in three years!
Not to mention our first VFL cup! If we hadn't been able to fully use all players on our bench it may not have happened. I suppose we were fortunate that Wheeler missed both shots on goal.

amigo

Listed Player
Mar 29, 2009
K-Mac obviously doesn’t buy into it as he is apparently looking at his options
Looks to me as though we are shopping him around. In the HUN on Tuesday Balme said, very diplomatically and I'm paraphrasing, that we really want him to stay, but if we get a good offer...................

Broadsword

Listed Player
Feb 17, 2009
Kmac's footskills let him down. Trade him out at high tide value I reckon and get games into Stack Graham Ross Pickett Baker Higgins Bolton etc.

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Kmac's footskills let him down. Trade him out at high tide value I reckon and get games into Stack Graham Ross Pickett Baker Higgins Bolton etc.
Its certainly true about KMac's foot skills and value, but with Ellis and Grigg gone we have lost two wingers and KMac has generally played as a winger. He has height, too, unlike Ross, Baker and company, and we are a noticeably shorter side than some of our main opponents.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Butler has nommed Saints as his club and we are giving him to them ( 4th or 5th round )
We just want him gone it seems
We’ve been very easy to deal with in trades since Balme come on board with players who are just on fringe of top 25ish so hopefully when we want something other clubs are as accomodating

Freo still also trying to trade for Menadue

McIntosh talk has dropped so maybe he’s calmed his farm now

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Only action from us was Butler to saints for pick 56

We have 5 picks in first 3 rounds
Not bad for a premier

19-38-39-41-56

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Any news on delisting? Do you think we will rookie any of them again?

No delistings yet

We have 4 rookies who will prob be upgraded to senior list in Stack, Pickett, Baker and Chol ( he may stay a rookie )

Grigg, Ellis, Butler and Weller are gone

I would think Aarts and Egg Smith will stay rookies

Townsend I think would quit and enter the drafts and a slight chance to be re-rookied with a late pick by us if still available and we dont have eyes on someone else

I think Miller will be delisted and maybe rookied

Id think Moore and Menadue would be the only other 2 in trouble, Menadue may quit and join draft with Freo interested and not sure about Moore what he will do or if he is contracted or not.

Be interesting as we have 4 picks inside 41

Reactions: Dimatron

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Menadue, Moore and Townsend delisted

Grigg and Weller retired

Butler traded

Ellis free agent to suns

Bones

Listed Player
Aug 8, 2016
Push on for Townsend to return to GWS. You'd like to think Menadue was a chance at another club too.

TigerHardwick

Listed Player
Sep 26, 2005
Push on for Townsend to return to GWS. You'd like to think Menadue was a chance at another club too.

GWS we’re into Townsend during trade period as were Freo with Menadue

We don’t need the picks so obviously told those clubs they’d get delisted and they can grab them then to help them get to their new clubs

Then when have good dealings with clubs

Zac Jones admitted today we met with him if he didn’t get to saints