Welcome to the new Yellow and Black

• Welcome to Yellow and Black Online. Registered Members gain access to tools and additional Forums designed to enhance your experience.
  • 2020 AFL Season has been suspended until at least May 31

• Join the Yellow and Black Tipping Competition. No prizes, just bragging rights :)

Visit Tipping Central and sign up to our Pool.
  • Coterie Membership premium membership package allows the subscriber to enjoy the site without any advertising, access to a private forum, "The Coterie Room" as well as some other extra tools that you can use on the forum.

Full information can be found here: Member Upgrades. I'll add more benefits as they are requested or as I think of them.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Ned submitted a new blog post

Welcome to the new Yellow and Black

This has already been posted in the "Site News and Information" forum and has been on the site for some weeks since I first announced the software change. I'm using this post as a "placeholder" until I publish my first article later today.

As I mentioned in the Site Survey post, I have been busy lately working on shaping how Yellow and Black will look going into the 2015 season and beyond. One of the things that I have been keen to incorporate into Y & B is original content which was also viewed favourably by those who responded to the survey. I am under no illusion that this may take some time to gain momentum, but I believe that it is worth the initial teething problems to get this site where it needs to be. There are some wonderful blogs out there and I want to capture that essence at Y & B!

The first step is to have the software platform to support these contributions. I believe that I now have the ability to do this through the use of Wordpress (blog software) and Xenforo (forum software). The next step is to call on those people who indicated that they would be willing to contribute 1 article every 1-2 months. It is my intention to have original articles shown on the homepage along with match information rather than merely reposting articles from the RFC site and media outlets. I want to showcase the articles created by members, not merely reposting media information. There is a place for that as well, just not as a site highlight!

I have shared the test URL with members of the Coaching Panel and some select members. I am hoping to have most of the bugs and annoyances ironed out in the next week so that I can perform another trial migration and get things setup as required.

I am aiming to make this new software live before Round 1, so I have tentatively looked at March 15 and 16 to make the change. By my calculations, the site should be in transition (i.e. unavailable for new posts) for approximately 3 hours. I haven't set a definite time yet, but my ideal start time would be around 11PM on the 15th. I will confirm the details closer to the time.

I'll post more information soon. In the meantime, I'm happy to respond to your questions regarding the change.

If you would like to put your hand up to contribute an article every 1-2 months, please PM me or e-mail me at coach@yellowandblack.com.au.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I've installed the Tapatalk plug-in, so this should now be working for those people who access the site from a mobile device.

I've tested it and it appears to be working correctly.

The integration with Wordpress isn't working properly just yet. At present, you can login through the Wordpress interface which will log you into the forum, but when you return to Wordpress, you aren't logged in. I will work on getting this issue fixed as it's annoying!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I think that I have the integration working correctly now. Still testing though!

BTW, if it's not working for you, clear out your browser cache.

Also have got Verdana font face working!

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Currently sorting out permissions and so forth. If you can't view or post, try again later as I'll get to it between work issues [emoji4]

Anduril

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Site Immortal
Jul 25, 2007
Currently sorting out permissions and so forth. If you can't view or post, try again later as I'll get to it between work issues [emoji4]
Good as I seem to be randomly affected about being able to reply ;)...... and you don't want to forget me in ticket week :D do you?

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
Good as I seem to be randomly affected about being able to reply ;)...... and you don't want to forget me in ticket week :D do you?
Most definitely not! :)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I have looked through all of the usergroup permissions now and believe them to be correct. Xenforo permissions operate differently to vBulletin (our previous software).

Everyone has the "Registered Member" Usergroup as their primary usergroup. Depending on the number of posts you have, you will be promoted to "Rookie List", "Senior Member", and "Site Immortal" - all added as your secondary Usergroup. In fact, the "Coach" Usergroup is also a secondary Usergroup. Base permissions are granted to the "Registered Member" Usergroup and then added to for the secondary Usergroups (or reduced for the Yellow Card and Banned Usergroups).

Once you login to the site for the first time, your "Trophy Points" and "Likes" will be calculated based on those events. They won't be allocated to you immediately, a process runs every hour or so to update these but will only run once you have logged into the site.

I have also installed the Media software which is an add-on, fully integrated product made by the makers of Xenforo. You'll find it in the top menu, "Media" - post your photos and videos there. You will then be able to use them in your posts or as avatars.

I am going to take a bit of break now and then start working on improving the look and feel of the site, and to setup the subscription system again so that Coterie members can continue their subscription. I'll make sure that this is working correctly before placing the adverts back on the site :)

Lastly, if you are having a permission issue (i.e. you can't post or can't view an attachment that you believe you should), post the issue here and I'll attend to it as soon as I can.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
All looking good @Ned had a fairly big play of the test site last week all worked well. Let me know if I can help. Will look at getting an article up next week. (Have thought of an angle)

Egg

Listed Player
Apr 27, 2010
My old bookmark led me to believe the transition was still occurring. I checked the Twitter link and saw nothing announcing the process was finished. Perhaps that old page and/or Twitter could be updated.

Now I have to find my feet here.

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
@Egg I'm sure you will as we need a whole Egg not a cracked one when losing ones feet. :)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I did some work on user permissions last night and think that I've got them sorted.

Post here (if you have permissions to do so) if you can't post or view an area that you should.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
OK, I've sorted out the Coterie Member stuff now. According to the subscription report in vBulletin, only 1 member is currently a paid-up member of this Group. If this is incorrect (and I suspect that it is), send me a PM and let me know if you believe you should have some subscription time left. If you need to purchase your Coterie Membership, go to http://yellowandblack.com.au/community/account/upgrades and you'll find all the details there.

I'm going to insert the ads shortly :)

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
When you login for the first time and post straight away, those of you who don't require moderation may notice that your post has gone to the moderation queue. This is because everyone's Primary Usergroup is set to the basic membership (Registered Membership) which is a moderated group. Once you login, your user account will be upgraded the next time the automated process runs which will update your Usergroups according to your number of posts, updates your likes, and updates your trophy points.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I forgot to announce that I have installed a chat client on the site. You may notice a menu item at the top of the page titled, "Y & B Chat". Use that link to gain access.

All Coaching Panel members have moderator functions in Y & B Chat, and the Site Rules still apply.

thebigricho

Site Immortal
Apr 15, 2006
Lastly, if you are having a permission issue (i.e. you can't post or can't view an attachment that you believe you should), post the issue here and I'll attend to it as soon as I can.
My posts were not being moderated initially but now are again.

Not sure if that is a site issue or me being placed on a naughty boys list.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
My posts were not being moderated initially but now are again.

Not sure if that is a site issue or me being placed on a naughty boys list.
There has been no change to your status for some months now. The fact that your earlier posts were not moderated was an error which has now been fixed.

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
If you have difficulty remembering your Yellow and Black login details, you can link your site membership with your Google, Facebook, and Twitter accounts. You can set this up through your user profile under, "External Accounts" or follow this link: http://yellowandblack.com.au/community/account/external-accounts

This will allow you to login to Yellow and Black using one of those credentials so you won't need to remember your Y & B details.

thebigricho

Site Immortal
Apr 15, 2006
We are also trying to be quick. I have done a few of yours.
Cheers, certainly makes it easier to stay in the conversation, although much better with this system because I can still see my post before it appears, on the old site the would vanish and I could never remember what I posted.

Hopefully I'm getting closer and closer to having my training wheels removed so we can all relax, I am trying to be just a naughty boy, not a messiah. :)

Vosstiger

Staff member
Assistant Coach
Sep 21, 2008
The new website makes it easier for me as a mod as well. The alerts are great and you know instantly if someone else has looked. There was more doubling up on the old site

Coach

Staff member
Coach
Foundation Member
Site Immortal
Jul 17, 2003
I've had a change of heart regarding the media gallery and have removed the Xenforo media software and replaced it with Nextgen Gallery software which will be accessible through the Wordpress software. I'll provide more details shortly once I locate a suitable integration with Xenforo.